Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
 RC Ravager help for beginner to hobby >

RC Ravager help for beginner to hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Ravager help for beginner to hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Ravager help for beginner to hobby

Bought an RC Gas Ravager today...for the first time I finally got into the RC hobby after admiring it for many years. Went to the hobby shop and sure...salesguy explained everything to me, or so I thought...I came home...took it out of the box and started to read through the instructions...Problem is the manual only shows a break down of the car disassembled. Now mind you...the car was already assembled...all I had to do was put the wheels on. Needless to say...I did all that, cause I'm a little mechanically inclined. He told me to cover the exhaust hole and pull the pull-string about 3 times till I see fuel going to the carburettor...did that. After I heated up the glow plug and pulled the chord, the car started alright...but it took off like a bat outta hell and socking me in the knee cap...if that wasn't painful enough...the thing just wouldn't stop going. So I picked it up off the ground and started to look for a kill switch or something to turn the dang thing off but couldn't find a thing. Now this thing is going at full RPMs and I'm supposed to be breaking it in at a low RPM. I looked at the remote and couldn't find anything on it to either, slow it down, or shut it off so I put it on the floor in hopes it would stall, but the dang thing is 4WD so no luck with that...it eventually took off and stopped after hitting a wall. Everything is still intact...I think I shortened the engine life on it but I explained to the guy that I no zilch about gas RC Cars and I'm just getting into the hobby, and he didn't tell me all these things would be happening.

I just need somebody to explain to me the correct operating procedures, how to properly start the thing without it taking off, and how to turn it off in the event something does happen. My knee is still throbbing from the pain. The bottom is solid steel and I think thats what hit me head on. I just need advice on what I'm doing wrong. Please HELP!!!

Old 08-22-2006, 08:25 PM

Default RE: RC Ravager help for beginner to hobby

Now that you got it started. Its time to check the manual for tuning your engine - specifically your idle setting. Set your idle to the lowest point (smallest carb opening) to where the engine would not stall.

Once you get the idle setting, before starting , turn on the remote and adjust the trim to open the carb a little bit, just for easier starting, but be sure to have a good grip of the car or have it facing a wall to keep it from running away, then as soon as it starts, i put the throttle trim back to neutral so it will idle down, and not egage the clutch.

The manual should have explained how to shut off the egnine, usually it would recomend pinching the fuel line. Some would cover the exhaust pipe. Some would wedge something on the flywheel. I personally tilt the car so that the fuel inlet cant suck any fuel, just like running out of fuel - but some people would not recomend that because it leans out for a second or two before it dies.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:00 PM

Default RE: RC Ravager help for beginner to hobby

dont let that discourage you. it seems as though your radio wasn't setup properly. the throttle trim was probably set on wide open as to why the high rpm's. Also it could be that the throttle servo was on reverse instead of normal or vice versa as to when you applied the brake it took off and so forth....it just takes some getting use to.