Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

why did my batt melt my wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why did my batt melt my wires

i just made a post about my reciver frying because of RTV but thats not the case i found out its my battery...for somereason when i switch on my battery it melted the smaller wires going to the switch and poped my reciver...i though this is becuase of the smaller wires from the switch going to the bigger wires couldnt hadle the 1400mah batt, but i used the batt for weeks like this and it was fine with no melted or hot wires....so can anyone help me with why it did this.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Default RE: why did my batt melt my wires

Did the wires melt as soon as you turned it on ???
Or did they melt while you were driving around???
If the melted when you turned it on i would say you had a short circuit!!!!
If they melted while you were driving around i would say it was excesive current draw!!!
If you had just charged the battery then some batterys can charge up to 3 or 4 volts more than what they are rated at.
They usually fall back to there rated voltage fairly quickly but it may of contributed to your problem>>>
Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 PM

well the first time i turned it on the black chip on the bottom of the reciver melted and smoked...then when i turned it on again the smaller wires started to burn the coating of the wires somking alot..what can cause my reciver to melt like that?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

it is all junk now.i would say the receiver has a short in it
Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM

was any part of the system new or was it all working together before?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 PM

nope it was all working together before...then i took everything off and waterproofed it with rtv and when i pluged my everything back in it just destroyed my reciver then....i pluged in another hpi reciver it did the SAME ***** THING (sry little mad) anyway i guess im gonna buy ANOTHER reciver and diffrent battery with bettwer wiring harness..hopefully my servos dont have anything to do with this becuase i dont want to buy another ace.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 PM

I know I gave you a reply in your other thread but the best product to water proof your radio equipment including servo is corrosion X or corrosion Block.

Dan.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 PM

are you plugging the bat into the RX directly, or are you using an ESC with a BEC? Because if you are using an ESC, i would definitely suspect that... did the batteries get hot? if you check the voltage on the batteries whats it say? How about some pic's of the setup?
Old 12-11-2007, 02:10 PM

MMM.. Sounds like you may of plugged the battery into the RX around the wrong way and blew either the voltage regulator ( thats the black thing with three legs ) or you blew the smaller surface mount filtering capacitor.
What size battery in volts is it????
I think the most BEC in the RX can only take around 7.2v.[&o]
Old 12-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Dan not to be rude or anything but this thread is about waterprofing its about why my batt blew my two of my recivers...well first of all its a nitro, 1400mah bat not sure of the voltage(almost sure 6.0). evil im not sure what i blew but i know the first thing that melted was the small black thing on the bottom of the RX about 6by6mm(<----estimate)..somthing i like to add is that the batt and thrott servo i couldnt have pluged in wrong because of the notch on the plug that slides into the RX case,then i pluged in the ace servo and the plug dosent have a notch so i could have put it in backwards....maybe thats what i did wrong?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM

Dman250

no worries, your not rude no offense taken.

I know its about why your wires melted if I had an answer better then the other guys I would have gladly said so, I was just trying to point out like I did on your other thread what to do next time.

Sorry.

I hope you find the problem soon, take care.

Dan.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:37 PM

ok well no need to apologize dan,
and since im gonna need new reciver and stuff, whats the best radio...i kinda want it 250(usd)max but if there is a nice enough system ill go up..(perferably one that wont explode)thx..o and evil or any1 else can give me any more info based on my post before this its greatly appreciated..thx
Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 PM

plugging in a servo backward wont harm a modern RX... Way back in the day (15+ years ago) i did burn one out plugging in the servos wrong....

really the only thing i can think of is the RTV sealant may have had a chemical in it that corroded something in the RX and created a short.... what type of RTC was it? was it made for electronics? Did it have a vinegar smell to it?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:56 PM

well it was permatex black rtv...on the tube it said can be used to repair wires and electrical connections...and it smells like really bad *$*, not like vinegar.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:00 PM

well now that i think of it, it couldnt have been the rtv in the reciver because i pluged in another hpi reciver and it blew up even worse...maybe just maybe it was becuase i slpiced the wires, but it worked like that for a long time..another thing is that i had a small cut in the ACE servo wires trying to squeeze it into the savage x..as far as i know nothing touched the wires and i dont think they touched each other...i hope this doesnt happen when i get my nice radio set...to be safe im gonna clean all of the rtv off the servos as well..thx
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 PM

simple as this, the RTV caused a short in the electronics, and blew up your stuff, either that, or the reciever shorted out the stuff, sounds more like the servo though[>:]
Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 AM

There is a short somewhere, check for moisture build-up.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Allan Aguilar

There is a short somewhere, check for moisture build-up.
Tin Wiskers, loose wires.... that sortof stuff can contribute to frying your items[&o]