Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Electric motor synchronizer

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric motor synchronizer

Hii,
I am working on this project and kind of got stuck where I need almost exact same synchronized rpm from two motors. So just wondering if there is any circuit/[electric tools] out there that would help me achieve max synchronization. I suppose its like a governor but with more than one balance point.

This circuit is fairly simple to build.. sensing rpm and sending in more power to the motor which lacks balance. would work like.. a power gyro.. if i may.. but before I attempt building something like this, it would be nice to know if it was already on the market.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Default RE: Electric motor synchronizer

ORIGINAL: Codeblack

Hii,
I am working on this project and kind of got stuck where I need almost exact same synchronized rpm from two motors. So just wondering if there is any circuit/[electric tools] out there that would help me achieve max synchronization. I suppose its like a governor but with more than one balance point.

This circuit is fairly simple to build.. sensing rpm and sending in more power to the motor which lacks balance. would work like.. a power gyro.. if i may.. but before I attempt building something like this, it would be nice to know if it was already on the market.

Thanks!
I have a circuit diagram for a device that uses optical sensors to detect RPM, it was intended to be used in a robot as a "dead reconing" system, counting pulses to aproximate the location, so, should try and find it, anything on the market would probabaly be BIG bucks[&o][:-]
Old 12-12-2007, 02:21 PM

What you are talking about is called a "Synchro-phaser". I know of units for full scale multi engined planes, but I have never seen one for RC.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:41 PM

thanks guys
money is of no concern. I intend on spending at least $1500 and maybe right through 2k on electronics.. depending on how superior the alternative systems are. now that I know they are called Synchro-phasers, Ill try searching more for those.

I found one fun little system that is also used on airplanes with twin engines. This system uses telemetry (not better in any way than synchro-phasers), then uses master-slave balancing mode to keep two motors at the same rpm. http://www.emsjomar.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6

You guys are the best, thanks. I would love to check out the schematic! If I wont be able to build such phaser, I certainly hope its not entirely out of this world and <$400[]

Cheers _\m/

Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM

double post
Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 PM

thanks guys
money is of no concern. I intend on spending at least $1500 and maybe right through 2k on electronics.. depending on how superior the alternative systems are. now that I know they are called Synchro-phasers, Ill try searching more for those.

I found one fun little system that is also used on airplanes with twin engines. This system uses telemetry (not better in any way than synchro-phasers), then uses master-slave balancing mode to keep two motors at the same rpm. http://www.emsjomar.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6

You guys are the best, thanks. I would love to check out the schematic! If I wont be able to build such phaser, I certainly hope its not entirely out of this world and <$400[]

Cheers _\m/

haha, you can make it for under $20, that cool, here it is,
List of Items Needed
2 270 ohm resistors
4 10 K ohm resistors
2 IR LED's (infared LED's)
2 10 K ohm variable resistors (pots)
2 IR sensitive Phototransistors (very important)
1 7400 Quad NAND Gate IC
1 7486 Quad Exclusive OR Gate IC
1 LM339 Quad Comparator IC

hope that helps[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58968.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	824401  
Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM

hehe, that is so neat. I bet I can modify the circuit to make it HV and do calibration! thanks!!

ORIGINAL: calvino

thanks guys

Cheers _\m/

List of Items Needed
2 270 ohm resistors
4 10 K ohm resistors
1 7400 Quad NAND Gate IC

hope that helps[8D]
Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 PM

hehe, that is so neat. I bet I can modify the circuit to make it HV and do calibration! thanks!!

ORIGINAL: calvino

thanks guys

Cheers _\m/

List of Items Needed
2 270 ohm resistors
4 10 K ohm resistors
1 7400 Quad NAND Gate IC

hope that helps[8D]
your welcome