Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Which Fuel to use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Fuel to use?

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">I have a few engines I&rsquo;ve purchased and I would like to get opinions on which fuel to use for each engine.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Obviously I would like to keep my fuel purchases to only 1 or 2 different fuels; I don&rsquo;t want to lug around 4 different gallons of fuel for different engines.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>If none of these fuels will work for a particular engine, please recommend one.</p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o></o></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Engines I have</p>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Fuels I have</p>
    1. Wildcat 2&amp;4 Cycle 10% Nitro
    2. Cool Power Super T
    3. Cool Power 15% Total Synthetic
    4. Omega 15% Castor/ Synthetic
    <o></o>Thanks.
    Old 06-19-2009, 09:20 AM

Default RE: Which Fuel to use?

What is the % oil content in each of your fuels?
    Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM
    My Feedback: (102)

A &amp; D

Remember, opinions are like...well you know the rest.

Terry in LP

Old 06-19-2009, 09:51 AM

Clay,

Here's what I found on their web sites in red.
    1. Wildcat 2&amp;4 Cycle 10% Nitro <font color="#ff0000">18% oil</font>
    2. Cool Power Super T <font color="#ff0000">10% Nitro 6/6 castor/synthetic 12% total oil</font>
    3. Cool Power 15% Total Synthetic <font color="#ff0000">17% oil</font>
    4. Omega 15% Castor/ Synthetic <font color="#ff0000">30/70 castor/synthetic 17% total oil

</font>
    Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM

I have never heard of B
    There are several 'flavors' of C & D

Without more info, I would choose A. However, I'd prefer 15% nitro in this fuel.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64674.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	1220977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50205.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1220978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95990.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	1220979  
    Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 AM

Carrell,

"B" is a special blend of fuel which is specific to super tigre engines.  I found this at my LHS and seems to do well bench running the engine.  It's actually under the "Omega" section on their web site that you posted as an attachment.

Thanks
    Steve</p>
    Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 AM

I see it now. I was looking on the Cool Power chart.

I would not run the "Super Tigre" blend in any of the engines you listed. ASP, OS, and Super Tigre all recommend a minimum of 18% oil for all of their smaller engines.

The 12% blend is for the 'Big' Tigres but the notes at Tower Hobbies recommend 14-18% oil for the current model G-2300 and G-3250.
    Old 06-19-2009, 01:51 PM
    My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Super "T" was intended for the ST 2000,2500, 3000, &amp; 4500 engines
    Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
    My Feedback: (4)

Wildcat 2&amp;4 Cycle 20% Nitro (also called YS 20/20) is the best all around for me ... Virginia, mild temps, average humidity, about 200 ft above sea level altitude, almost all Saito four stroke engines ( 2 ea FA-56, 3 ea FA-100, 1 ea FA-125, 1 ea FA-150, 2 ea FA-180), YS-120, Webra 120, Evolution .46NT, OS .46FXi and finally OS .46AX. Eveything on Wildcat 2&amp;4 Cycle 20% Nitro. I do add 1 oz Klotz KL-200 Techniplate to a gallon of fuel.

Everything runs fantastic!
    Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM

I used my Wildcat 2&amp;4 cycle tonight on my super tigre .75 and did very well.  A little on the rich side right now, but again did very well.  I will try both ASP engines this next week on this fuel and let you know how things go.  This would be great if I could use the Wildcat 2&amp;4 cycle fuel for everything.

Thanks for everyone advice.

Steve
    Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 PM

I just use Wildcat Super Premium for everything
    Old 06-20-2009, 06:48 AM

Dude......just use the omega fuel for everything. Its in my opinion good to use fuel with some castor in it simply becuase of its rust protection(synthetic fuels dont do that).

You dont need Super T..........wildcat I dont think has castor in it,nor does cool power. Omega in my opinion is the best fuel out of the 4 if I had to buy from those fuels. Omega is probably about the same as the cool power with some added castor.
    Old 06-20-2009, 06:34 PM

If I use the Wildcat 2&amp;4 cycle fuel or the Wildcat premium fuel , do I need after-run engine oil once I'm done running my engine?  Does it mater if its my 2-stroke or 4-stroke?

Thanks
    Steve

Old 06-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Wow,I kinda must say I take back my earlier post about choosing omega over the wildcat. After checking into that wildcat site....I am kinda impressed and it looks like wildcat is NOT totally synthetic(except its YS fuel). Its premium is 20/80 castor/oil,but is only 16% total oil( I like 18%),but is a good castor ratio. The 2&amp;4 stroke has the 18% total oil,but does not specify the castor/oil ratio,but is probably close to the premium. Wish the premium had 18% total. Anyway.......I'd say the wildcat is about equal to the omega. And I love the fact that wildcat uses Klotz oil which I also use for my fuel that I make and not some cheap stuff like some fuel manufactures use. I just wish they said what the 2&amp;4 stroke fuels ratios were......

Oh...and to answer your question.....I would not worry about using after-run oil if your gonna use wildcat. It has the castor,so it has some rust protection built in. I've never used after run oil,and would only consider using it with that green cool power junk(but I wont be using that anytime soon,lol).

Old 06-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Put some castor oil in the Cool Power fuels to bring therm up to 20% and use all the fuels in whatever engine you want to.
    Old 07-24-2009, 08:53 PM
    My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No more forums for me. Checking for best all around fuel for both types and now I'm so confused I think I'll convert everything to electric. Nervous Neal who flys at Ryker field. Hey can you use any of this stuff in mixed drinks?
    Old 07-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats so confusing? IMO electrics are just as or more confusing, and a lot more expensive.
    Old 07-28-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I see the electric glow debate is a tough one. I personally can't see buying just a battery for $50 when I can buy an engine for $50 or less if I shop "used". But I also like my electric planes since they have their own positive attributes. I have two small brushless outrunner electrics with Lipos. The lipos I picked up on clearance at wally world for $2 (2 cell, 750) the charger cost me $20 the motor and esc combo are from Hong Kong and cost something like $12 for the pair.
    Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 AM
    My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Put some castor oil in the Cool Power fuels to bring therm up to 20% and use all the fuels in whatever engine you want to.

How much castor in a gallon of 10% Cool Power? I used 4 ounces.
    Old 08-01-2009, 05:27 AM
    My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use "A" or "D" in your list. The ASP two strokes and super tiger may like the 10% the best. The four strokes will probably like the 15%
    Do not be afraid of the oil content being 1 or 2% less than what some book says. If the stuff was destroying engines, it would not be so popular.
    Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM

After using Rich's brew and Omega for many years I bought some Wildcat Premium 15%.

One thing quickly became apparent after the first flight at the field is that it didn't have much oil in it.

After the second flight I noticed that I lost the bearing cage of the rear bearing on my Saito 56. Who ever heard of loosing a cage in a four stroke?

So I got out my Saito 125 and flew some. After the third flight something (trash) got in my 125 needle valve and it ran lean. Boy, thast engine didn't feel good. I was afraid that I had lost the rod big end. After flushing the needle valve all was fogiven and that night after the engine cooled down it felt alright.But if the fuel had more oil, I think the engine would have faired better?

One thing is very apparent to me and that is Wildcat Premium does not have enough oil in for 4 strokes and I'll never buy it again. I'll but some castor oil in what Wildcat Premium I have. If I buy anymore Wildcat, it will be Super Premium.
    Old 08-09-2009, 02:06 PM
    My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

After using Rich's brew and Omega for many years I bought some Wildcat Premium 15%.

One thing quickly became apparent after the first flight at the field is that it didn't have much oil in it.

After the second flight I noticed that I lost the bearing cage of the rear bearing on my Saito 56. Who ever heard of loosing a cage in a four stroke?

So I got out my Saito 125 and flew some. After the third flight something (trash) got in my 125 needle valve and it ran lean. Boy, thast engine didn't feel good. I was afraid that I had lost the rod big end. After flushing the needle valve all was fogiven and that night after the engine cooled down it felt alright.But if the fuel had more oil, I think the engine would have faired better?

One thing is very apparent to me and that is Wildcat Premium does not have enough oil in for 4 strokes and I'll never buy it again. I'll but some castor oil in what Wildcat Premium I have. If I buy anymore Wildcat, it will be Super Premium.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not even remotely a wildcat fan, but the blend you used would have only had 1% less oil in it than the omega, (16% vs 17%). That one percent should not have a detrimental impact on bearing or cage life since the only thing making it into the crankcase is oil anyway. It is quite possible that the bearing was ready to fail and just happened to occur during a recent fuel switch.
    I have done so much testing over the years on two and four stroke engines for the sake of fuel testing to know that a bearing cage failure is something that can not be predicted. OS engines were losing cages at quite an alarming rate, and the Saito's of the last 5 years would have the occasional cage failure also. None of them were oil related.
    If it was an oil starvation issue, you would have destroyed the lower journal of the connecting rod long before the bearing cage overheats and cracks.

As for oil content, its not about quantity, its also about quality. You could have 25% oil content of a lousy synthetic and destroy engines. ...Or you could use 6 to 12% of a high end synthetic and never wear one out. I run my two & four stokes hard on 8% to 11% oil rc car fuel that I used to produce commercialy for several years now and have not experienced a single failure. I have had countless customers which have the same experience.
    Old 08-09-2009, 02:37 PM
    My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

WildCat Premium has 16% 80/20 blend and I have used it in RCV engines and occasionally in Saito and Enyas, when you pull a backplate after a run the same exact amount of residual lube is in the crankcase whether you use the Premium or the Premium Extra 18% lube. It just moves through the engine at a slower rate when using the 16%.
    Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 PM

OK...........so I've been having some problems with my OS 91FX and I'm going to change out the needle valve assy but now I'm also wondering if I should use a lower nitro content. I've been using 15% nitro and 18% lubricant and I'm considering going to 10% nitro. I've heard that the larger engines just don't need the higher nitro. Only thing is most of my engines are OS46FX's so I don't know how they'd run on the lower nitro. Where I live it's at about 3500' elevation so I took the advice of the locals and started using 15%. Where I lived before I used nothing but 10%.

Opinions?

thanks,
    Andy
    Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.