Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
 Cheapest RC Pilot Out There >

Cheapest RC Pilot Out There

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Cheapest RC Pilot Out There

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was being frugal when I used covering
from a crashed airplane to patch holes in one
that is still flying. Lately I've topped that by drying
paper towels from the kitchen and using them to
wipe off castor oil from my planes.

Jenny
Old 08-23-2017, 01:45 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are going to have to justify the re-use of the covering.... start by saying the color needs to be faded to match an existing aircraft. Then you go on to say that recent batches of ###coat are not as strong as the coating you need to match. Follow that by saying the covering needs to be imported from china to match. You could also go into the heating properties of the reused material and how the new stuff does not shrink properly in the horizontal or vertical axis or the glue is not gripping as nicely as the 1970's product.

Now to the kitchen paper towels.... who you kidding... everyone does that.

Carry on... you are getting it.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Nah, I just use the first busted airplane part
I see. After enough patches, it becomes a
"coat of many colors" with a character all
its own.

Jenny
Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of these are pretty good. But this is downright cringe worthy. Attend...Back in the day, there was this old head who didn't like the recent price hike of Monokote. So, he covered his (rebuilt, I might add) Sweet Stick with (wait for it) shelf paper. It was pastel pink with little flowers on it. The darn thing actually flew until the leading edge came loose. But, wouldn't you know, he was back the very next weekend with that same rebuilt (again) Sweet Stick with fresh shelf paper on it? Persistent fella, I'll give him that!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4Flight
How about the guy who solders Futaba J connectors, from dead servos, on even older S28 servos with "G" plugs.
Yes , this I've done several times. Some are still working good.

The guys also poke fun at me because a lot of my planes are old style and from the 80's.

Another thing I've done is cut the tip off of exacto blades then reshape the tip will give you a new sharp part of the blade.

Last edited by A. J. Clark; 12-29-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done that lots of times....what's wrong with doing that?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, haven't seen this thread in ages...

I guess my recent cheapness is rebuilding someones hard luck crash.... Its good to see them get a second chance.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM

I just realized yesterday that I was saving random strands of
fiberglass to use for possible repairs.

Jenny

ps. I just used up my tenth xacto blade in 52 years of
airplane building. I still have five worn down old nubs just in case.

Last edited by Jennifer Curtis; 01-04-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:02 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Still using a 14+ year old Futaba 9C Super that I found at a Pawn shop for $50.00 including a ruggedized Hobbico case, a PCM module with selectable frequency, a PCM Rx and of course the wall brick. I had just gotten a brand new 7C and an EFlite Ultimate (the one in my member photo) and my brother had left his car unlocked for no more than 15 minutes on a Valentine's day stop off to his house after a successful maiden only to return to find the whole outfit gone. Now in my defense, I have since treated my Tx to a brand new $50.00 FrSky 2.4 module and Rx set and a cheap Chinese 2000 Mah NiMh battery. Guys at the field are always asking why I dont get a Spektrum since they always buy the flavor of the month, newest Spektrum model, yet I'm one of the few that never crash due to dead Tx batteries and RF "interference". I still love my old Futaba and have flown over 15 different models ranging from park flyers to competition sailplanes and the faceplate is still as gold as the day it was hatched in Japan. I know its not funny, but I am considered one of the cheapest guys at the field for this reason.

Last edited by Sportflyr; 11-10-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:16 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Same here, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...aba-9cap-super and I had the dial a crash module to control my zip lock bag of $5 receivers and S-148 servos throughout my hangar as I have for the last 18 years. I still have my 6DA and 6EXA-P radios, should I ever find someone wanting to train on a 40 glow trainer.
I like building partially built kits people give up on because they're also about $50-60 shipped, instead of $150-$200 for closet trophy's.

I also use two ACE trickle chargers, for my nicads. I picked them up for $10, the price of shipping.

The following users liked this post:
Sportflyr (11-12-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have nonproblem buying new and supporting my LHS but sometimes the chase for cheap parts can be rewarding. I found some planes for sale on Craigslist. Paid $50 for 4 planes and 6 engines and 9 misc wings. All the planes had storage or crash damage. I found someone looking for a project and traded the wings and planes for a better project and a rtf nitro balsa plane. I traded that project plane for a GP Cessna ARF that is ready to fly. I sold a couple of the engines and got my $50 back. I still have a couple other engines, 2 rtf nitro planes and a bunch of misc parts now. My love of RC flight started last year with $100 worth of foam planes(2 parkzone, 1 kit and 2UMX) and a used spektrum radio I bought off facebook

Last edited by Corsair3660; 11-17-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Regent
Let me throw my hat in the ring as one of the cheapest RC hobbyist around. But first let me say that it is not because I can’t afford the hobby, I just love to restore and recycle still usable material out of crashed models.

As an example:
On all of my crashed models, (as well as what I recover from the trash barrel at the field), I will push out all the blind nuts and dig out all the nylon hinges and soak them in acetone, clean them up and put them back in my spare parts bin. I have boxes full of landing gear, motor mounts, fuel tanks and wheels that have been recycled. If a fuselage is totaled and there is a repairable wing and tail section, I save the repairable parts for future use. If the fuselage is repairable and the wing is toast I will save it and use it later when I mix and match parts to build totally new hybrid planes.

If I decide that a part is too much trouble to repair I will just strip it down and cut out all of the usable wood and save it in my scrap box. All the wood in the scrap box is sorted by thickness so I can easily find some piece that I can use.

Now I do have an inventory of fresh balsa and ply that would equal many hobby shops but I do enjoy gluing up two or three pieces of scrap to get a piece bit enough to use. I also am not above gluing up two pieces to get it to the desired thickness.

Everyone in my club knows that I do this and they also know that if they need something there is always the chance that I have it or have something that can be made to work. If I don’t have anything invested in the part I usually will just give it away or just ask for a small fee to cover any sweat equity.

Trainer planes provide a large part of the inventory because they tend to be short lived and many do not have the time or skills to do any repair. For all new flyers I advise them to spend their money on a good quality engine and computer radio and then come over and we go through the selection of wings, tails and fuselages and make up something that will get them in the air for $10 - $15 plus the cost of any fresh Monokote. (I also have a box where I keep scrap Monokote.) Many repairs and trim pieces also come out of the Monokote box and I have decided on a trim scheme based on what scrap pieces in have in the box.

Cheap? You bet. But I don’t necessarily do it for the money for the most part I do it because it is fun.
Not cheap! Repurposed materials save a ton of money!
Old 11-20-2020, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BOB MOORE
I know a guy who reuses toilet paper
I’d like to meet the guy who invented single ply toilet paper.
Wouldn’t want to shake his hand though!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:33 AM
My Feedback: (1)

It is very hard to kill an old Sig. I flew the Sig Something Extra for several years. They were rebuilt several times. Sure wish I could find a crashed one for cheap.

Gary
Old 10-24-2022, 06:37 AM

I guess I’m a cheap rc pilot!!! When I first started flying my buddy that trained me would laugh because when my old superstar .40 would go in. I’d repair with whatever I had at the house money was tight then. I particularly remember one time he got a real hoot because after a nose first landing 😂 being a new modeler I had no spare blind nuts to put in the new firewall. Didn’t think to get my old ones at the field. But I did have drywall screws. He got a kick outta that. But boy did I have fun flying that day!!

these days I get a real kick out of buying someone out that’s kicking the hobby. Keeping what I want and reselling the rest to get what I wanted free and clear. You’d be amazed at how easy it is to do!!!!

Here’s my hanger
Old 10-24-2022, 02:41 PM

I would say I’m definitely cheap. I had an old sport cub and so much tape on it that it wouldn’t fly. I got the tape when my art teacher wasn’t looking I would take a strip. I then got a old slow v from my local hobby shop for 40 bucks Bc it was 10 years old. I have even taped props back together when I don’t have glue and I have used glue instead of screws.

So yea…
im cheap
Old 01-25-2023, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by on_your_six
This thread is about what the cheapest (skin flint) RC pilot in the world... make your nominations... anonymous of course, but they might recognize them selves.

Do they Glue back together their damaged wood props?
Do they scrounge the field's donation box for parts for their "best" plane?
Does the monocoat fall off the plane as it flies?
Do they try to reuse the old glo plug that failed a month ago? (what makes them think it is good now??)
How many crashes has that plane had and he still glues it back together??
Does the weight of the epoxy prevent the plane from flying???

Try to keep it funny! Yeah we all take the short cut sometimes!

Tell me your good ones.
OMG……I won’t tell you which one, but I am that guy that has done one of those…..😱
Old 01-26-2023, 04:48 AM

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

When I was struggling just to buy fuel to fly, if I accidently broke the tip of a wood propellor I would grid down the other tip on the runway with the engine running until both tips were even. The hobby shops were a long way from home so getting a replacement wasn't a simple thing. Then I started making sure I had spare props when I went to the field so a broken one didn't end my flying until I could get another one.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:26 PM

I’ve been flying same 3d airplane for 10 years