Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Modellba Tornado vs Boomerang which one easier to break down for travel ? >

Modellba Tornado vs Boomerang which one easier to break down for travel ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Modellba Tornado vs Boomerang which one easier to break down for travel ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modellba Tornado vs Boomerang which one easier to break down for travel ?

hi ,

i am looking to get turbine sport/trainer which easy to break down and put together for travel, (i will have to remove wings for all trips to the field)

the Tornado was my first choice , for looks , specs and my lower end budget, but i thought i had seen post where Tornado took considerably longer to remove booms and wings as required for traveling

anyone had experience with both and could comment and how long Tornado takes to make ready compared to Boomerang "nano or Sprint" ?

thanks, Joe

Old 12-10-2011, 03:42 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Modellba Tornado vs Boomerang which one easier to break down for travel ?

I have a falcon, and it's not that hard to break down. I leave the tails together... and unbolt them as a unit. Then the wings come off. To make my life easy, I made some bols with a hex key in the center, and a regular hex head on the outside. That way, I can run the bolts in the wing with a ball driver, and snug them up with a small ratchet. Then... in the tails, I put studs in the booms, so I can slide them into the wings loosely (to hook up the wires) and then, put nuts on the bottom.

It takes about 5 ~ 10 minutes to put it together at the field.

Looking at a Bommer, it may go together faster.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Modellba Tornado vs Boomerang which one easier to break down for travel ?

the smaller boomers are without a doubt the most compact to transport, i used to put my intro in the trunk of a mid sized car along with all the support equipment.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:44 AM
My Feedback: (2)

The older boomers took a bit of fiddling with that key hole locking doodad, but the new system with the locking screws is a piece of cake. My nano I can fit in the back seat of my pickup (land not a lot of room back there!) just by taking the outer wing panels off (4 bolts and 2 servo connections) To knock it down completely, takes 4 more bolts and 3 more servos to disconnect.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:47 AM

ok, from comments seems like the boomerang for sure are easy to travel with and very popular.

but has anyone seen the Tornado break down also to be able to make a comparison to the boomerang ?

thanks again for the feedback !!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Both fly well, both take about the same time to build up, although the Tornado tail and booms can be left together! The edge for me is the Tornado, cos it looks great!

Regards from the UK

John.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:19 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rcfun2005

but has anyone seen the Tornado break down also to be able to make a comparison to the boomerang ?

thanks again for the feedback !!

The Falcon is the same as the Tornado. Read my post above.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:36 PM

Speed test results are in....

Boomerang- 8 minutes, 27 seconds.
Tornado- 9 minutes, 13 seconds.

...Congrats! It looks like your going with the Boomerang.... You'll be in the air 46 seconds faster than the Tornado!

J/K, Just playing around.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had both and the boomerang sprint is somewhat easier to assemble being the landing gear stays on the fuse, for the tornado I made a stand out of 1inch PVC. But for the money the tornado is the way to go and it flies super with a p60se. You can make the assembly alot easier by using servo conectors such as the ash locks I think is their name, with these you have all servo conectors in one.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:40 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have both. I leave the Tornado in one peice because it' a pain to take apart and put back together. The Boomer is very quick to put together and is very compact, even the XL. I can can take the BXL, my FB Panther a Habu fuel, flight box, extenguisher, batteries chargers and lunch to the field in my Explorer.
However they are both great fun in the air.
Gary
Old 12-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bommerang is better for ease of transporting hands down if you have a smaller vechicle, I use to have a boomerang so I know the Falcon is to much
trouble to take of the wings but with the boomer you take of the outer wings and that all thats required in most cases but if need be you can easily
remove the horz stab and booms. BTW the Falcon and Tornado are basiclyone and the same.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Tornado/Falcon has to have the booms taken off if you remove the wings, the booms and tail can stay together if you make up a brace to fit between the booms for transportation, when you remove the wings the UC goes with it, when you take the wing and booms off all the servo's go with it so need re-connecting when you re-rig.

You can leave the booms on the Boomerangs with the tail if your loading/boot/trunk space is long enough, this in turn means the tail remains on and just the outer wing panels can be removed, the UC and Flaps ect stay on the fus, so self supporting in the car and just two wing tips and aileron servo's to connect.

If convenience is your criteria then the Boomerang wins with ease, and I do have both, the Sprint comes out more often as its easier to rig and less hassle to put away at the end of a long flying session.

Mike
Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Boomerang Elan is ok to take down. We hauled our in the back of our Dodge Extended cab to Miss. Put all of our accessories along in the back. The only thing we didn't out in the back was our transmitter. Put together was extremely easy. We had all the wires taped together, servo locks on our side and it was fairly simple. However, I have no idea about the Tornado. In the end it depends on your vehicle.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM

well i dont have a boomer but the Tornado was my first jet and it is much less expensive than the Boomers. I read that they are coming out with a composite version in january for less money than the one they had. I can say that the Tornado is a great flying airplane and for the price you cant beat it.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:36 AM

ORIGINAL: david robinson

well i dont have a boomer but the Tornado was my first jet and it is much less expensive than the Boomers. I read that they are coming out with a composite version in january for less money than the one they had. I can say that the Tornado is a great flying airplane and for the price you cant beat it.

yes, i like the looks and price of Tornado , and the comments are it is great flying plane ...

Tornado still option for me , i will look into making it work in my medium size SUV.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:05 AM

from previous post :
"Tornado was my first jet and it is much less expensive than the Boomers. I read that they are coming out with a composite version in january for less money than the one they had. "

so i tried finding more info on this but no luck ?

anyone have link with more details ?

thanks, Joe
Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 AM

We have both at our field and the set-up time is almost the same for each. The Tornado's looks are far worth the extra minute and it has a better flight envelope.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Mike06659

We have both at our field and the set-up time is almost the same for each. The Tornado's looks are far worth the extra minute and it has a better flight envelope.
Can you elaborate on the 'better flight envelope'?? i own both is why i ask as my interpretation of flight envelope gives the Boomers the better edge. my Tornado stays together so it wins the setup time hands down
Old 12-11-2011, 06:41 AM

KC, it just looks like the Tornado is flying alot faster when you want it to then the Boomer. I guess it should fly faster with the wings being different.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 AM

Thanks. Yeah my Tornado is defiantly in need of a power boost (P60-SE currently) it's top speed is only 155mph, haven't checked the speed of the other local K80 powered one but it's not a lot faster just has better vertical. regardless, it's finely hit 40 degree so time to go burn some kerosene, have a good one all.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 AM
My Feedback: (5)

<div>The new V3 Tornado is defiantly coming. We will begin taking pre-orders in two weeks. I believe the factory demo will be arriving next week so I will take tons of pictures of the mods and the New Sport scheme.</div><div></div><div>The fuselage, booms, stabilizer are composite and very heavily reinforced with Carbonfiber. The wing are redesigned and have ply cross braces tons of carbon cloth reinforcements and all servo's are internal on the whole plane.</div><div></div><div>With the rabbit 100 which has 23 lb of thrust it made my blue V3 Tornado go 195 before I throttled back I'm sure it would have kept accelerating. With the K80 it did the same speed but did not seem to keep accelerating. Thanks to my buddy with the Florida highway patrol we were able to get a very good reading of the speeds.</div><div style="font-family: Noteworthy; font-size: 18px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 24px; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(130, 98, 83, 0.0898438); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(191, 107, 82, 0.496094); "><span class="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.292969); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(130, 98, 83, 0.0898438); ">
Best of all the new price is less than $475
<br type="_moz" /></span></div>