Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Setting Jet Failsafe >

Setting Jet Failsafe

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Setting Jet Failsafe

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Jet Failsafe

Hi All

Another day, another question (or two) - this time on failsafes.

When i set my boomerang sprint up with my JR DSX11 im not sure if i am looking to shut the engine down or simply set the stick at idle in failsafe. I read that the last thing you want if you crash is the turbine being on and taking in rubbish. Can any one help.

On a different subject, all my past planes have not had flaps and i use the flaperon function on my radio to combine 2 aeileron servos (left wing and right wing). This function uses the aeileron channel and the flap (aux1) channel so i guess if i have a seperate flap i shouldnt use this anymore. I guess i would 'mate' a channel (say aux 2) to aeileron instead and keep the flap channel free for flaps?? Can anyone confirm please.

Thnaks for the help !

Anthony
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 373 Likes on 301 Posts
Default RE: Setting Jet Failsafe

You should only use flapperon if you want to use the ailerons as flaps. Otherwise use the mate function to combine dual servo ailerons (or elevators, flaps, throttles etc)

I dont fly turbines but I couldn't imagine any reason not to want the motor shut down in case of loss of signal.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Anthony,

I believe the JMA recommedation is for turbine to go to idle. Although some event organisers may override that and say it should cut.

The thinking behind "idle" is that if the signal comes back you can power up and land.

Personally, I have mine set to cut. That way I minimise the chance of a fire/ingesting FOD if I have an 'incident'. I'm pretty confident in my RF link and feel that if it is lost to the point of failsafe, I am unlikely to regain the link so "cut" the power.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM

Yes, the RF link is probably a lot less likely to be a problem since the JMA rule was decided Mark. The thinking then (when we were running 35mHz pretty much exclusively) was that if the engine went to idle due to fail-safe, it enabled the opportunity to throttle-up and recover if the link was restored. However, the overriding factor was the likelihood of fire and property damage in the event of a crash, hence the rule is that the Event Organiser will make the decision (idle or shut-down) based on his site risk assessment.

Cheers,

Dick

Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your turbine ECU should have failsafe built into it that controls the turbine when in a failsafe condition, with the 11x you'll bind at 150% throttle ATV, then learn the ECU at 100% throttle ATV, the ECU will see the outside normal setting as a failsafe (and that's the only time it should see it) and will bring the turbine to idle and kill it after a set time (2.0 sec here in the US).

as for the dual ailerons, use the match feature to mate an Aux channel to the second aileron and put your flaps on the flap channel. you can use a flap -> flaperon mix for crow then too.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It also works binding at 100% and setting the throttle at 50% and then learn the ecu. Easy way to tell is just turn off the tx with the jetcat gsu plugged in, there sould be an "F" on the display. Turn the tx back on and the "F" will go away.
Vin...