Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Paint Gun Advice >

Paint Gun Advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Paint Gun Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 07:21 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Paint Gun Advice

I was able to finally use some “real” paint.

My local Napa Auto Parts will put automotive type paint in a spray can and all the paints (except for the last base coat!) were awesome to work with! Quick dry, super hard and easy to mask! Waaayyy better than rustoleum.

I have been reluctant to buy a paint gun because I HATE cleaning paint and I will not paint indoors, too much nastiness to breath in.

I was using the paint cans thinking they would be more reliable than rustoleum paint cans, well that was a pipe dream. As I applied the last color, the can started sputtering and spitting after only a few seconds! Uh! What a pain.

Sorry for the rant! Tell me, what do you guys/gals think about this gun? Is it an appropriate gun to paint our models?

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-co...inum-case.html
Old 09-06-2019, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man. Hope you have been well.. That gun should be fine for you..Have a look, disposable liner system. makes the clean up sooo much better and faster. and always use the little water traps.

https://www.eastwood.com/3m-pps-larg...-pk-of-25.html
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-ai...ir-filter.html

Jeff
Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sata Mini guns and Iwatas are the guns of choice.-On the other hand I have bought a number of the Harbor Freight HVLP touch up guns when they are on sale for under 20 bucks and they have worked OK-Also they are damm near disposable at that price
Old 09-06-2019, 12:58 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Rav I have tried the Harbor gun and it did not last. I purchased a Iwatas and have been so happy with it. I wished I would have done it along time ago. The other guns I have used start to spit. If you are interested I can get you the model #. Dan
Old 09-06-2019, 01:16 PM
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

I have an old Devilbiss large size....and a new 2000’s era Mini Sata gun, over the winter I think I will invest into a grex airbrush for the small work/touch up....
Old 09-06-2019, 01:35 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Badger 2000 are the best for small job and easy to clean
Devilbliss definitively excellent
Old 09-06-2019, 02:03 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

We spend thousands of dollars on these jets and then buy cheap crap to finish them. I've never understood that. No a good gun wont make you a good painter but a cheap gun almost promises a crappy paint finish.
I've done a couple of articles on guns here over the years.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/10519362-advice-paint-guns.html

Post 15 in this one

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11158944-paint-gun-recomendation.html
Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
We spend thousands of dollars on these jets and then buy cheap crap to finish them. I've never understood that. No a good gun wont make you a good painter but a cheap gun almost promises a crappy paint finish.
I've done a couple of articles on guns here over the years.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...aint-guns.html

Post 15 in this one

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...mendation.html

So well said ! Pay cheap = pay double ...plus repainting a model=disaster. For me only SATA mini jet HVLP . And yes price does reflect end painting result .
I strongly suggest you buy the electronic versions of the JetPower Magazine with the articles of Ralf Schneider "how to paint" . An amazing source of know-how.

my2c
Old 09-06-2019, 11:49 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I use a McDonald’s straw with a siphon attachment and a Walmart cheap 12volt tire inflator. I also visit Starbucks and take the wooden stirring sticks and use them to mix my Michael’s water based paints. I clear my projects with an egg tempura type top coat. Worked great for the masters for over 200-300 years. Save thousands omitting automotive paints, sprayers etc.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by ledd4u
I use a McDonald’s straw with a siphon attachment and a Walmart cheap 12volt tire inflator. I also visit Starbucks and take the wooden stirring sticks and use them to mix my Michael’s water based paints. I clear my projects with an egg tempura type top coat. Worked great for the masters for over 200-300 years. Save thousands omitting automotive paints, sprayers etc.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

And I bow to the power Jeremy! I know you KNOW your stuff. I will get a good gun (likely what you recommend) and I’ll talk to local body shop suppliers to make sure I have local support.

Thank you everyone for your advice!! This is why I love RCU!
Old 09-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DelGatoGrande
So well said ! Pay cheap = pay double ...plus repainting a model=disaster. For me only SATA mini jet HVLP . And yes price does reflect end painting result .
I strongly suggest you buy the electronic versions of the JetPower Magazine with the articles of Ralf Schneider "how to paint" . An amazing source of know-how.

my2c
+1
Old 09-07-2019, 02:35 PM
My Feedback: (71)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a good system doesn't break your wallet get the 3M gun you can even dispose the tips after paint if you want or clean and reuse this is what i used and comes with all the tips you will need I have a $800 Sata and this will paint as good

3M 16580 Accuspray Spray Gun System with Standard PPS

Old 09-07-2019, 04:31 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where are all the custom painters and what might be a reasonable charge? Thanks. Chic
Old 09-07-2019, 05:32 PM
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

HVLP all the way!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:29 PM

I am unable to find a Sata gun online. Apparently Sata doesn’t allow online purchasing?
Old 09-08-2019, 05:30 AM

Amazon has them but there are fakes out there. Going to a local body shop dealer is the smartest way though. While I've never needed parts for a SATA local support is always a great thing.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:34 AM

I'll be stopping at my shop today. I think I have a brand new mini jet that I'd be willing to sell. Some circumstances in my life have lead to a need to sell a couple of things. I'll post back once I confirm the model
Old 09-08-2019, 06:27 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Raf,

In my experience Sata is hard to find online, but they are worth the effort to find. I have had a sata minijet 2 for a long time, it works great. A harbor freight jamb gun for primer is nice to have too
Old 09-08-2019, 08:24 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Talk about a "GREAT" painter, LGM Graphix is a fabulous painter. Had him repair and paint a clear canopy for a jet model.. He lives in Canada, I live in Alexandria, VA and it turned out to be the best money I spent on that jet. Wish he lived south of the northern border. I have a complete jet for him to paint. Chic
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raf- Are you going to show up with whatever it is you are painting? Just asking for a friend-Scotty
Old 09-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by GSR
Raf- Are you going to show up with whatever it is you are painting? Just asking for a friend-Scotty

Scotty! I wish! There is no way I can have my mibo finished by next month!

Jeremy, let me know if you want to sell your gun!
Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 AM
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
I'll be stopping at my shop today. I think I have a brand new mini jet that I'd be willing to sell. Some circumstances in my life have lead to a need to sell a couple of things. I'll post back once I confirm the model

PM sent.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:36 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget you also need to have a decent compressor and make sure you have a filter to eliminate water and oil. I have a 30 gallon one, seems to be reasonably adequate. I've shot paint with smaller ones, you can do it but, you're constantly stopping your work and waiting for the tank to fill.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:14 PM

Thank you to Jeremy for sending me his Sata. I’m just awaiting a part to be able to use it.

My local place sold me a gun with a 1.8 tip (not a Sata) for $150. Apparently the 1.8 tip is good for primer and clears. Also, this gun should be good enough to start practicing with.

And OMG am I glad I did. I bought a gun mounted pressure regulator and water trap and some paints to get my feet wet, sort to speak.

You painters have reached a whole new level of respect, AGAIN!

I initially put lacquer thinner in the cup and started messing around just spraying stuff. And talk about flash back to tuning a 2 stroke engine with a low, mid and high needle setting!

I had to adjust every thing that I could adjust (pressure, paint supply, other needles that I don’t know the name of) to try to make some spray come out in a decent pattern. Ugh.

I thought I’d just put all the adjustments in their middle ranges and I’d get close, I mean RIGHT?!

Not even close!! I had to adjust every parameter to get a spray pattern that would lay down decent paint, ie not too thick, not too thin.

Finally, I just put water in the cup and adjusted to my heart’s content.

About 30 minutes in, I was pretty happy. Time for more thinner and then paint.

After a little more adjustment, I was throwing paint. So far so good. Hold for results.

Again, learning how to paint is WAY cool and much respect to painters.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Raf.. You are definitely approaching it the right way now. Like you, I started with aerosols, and then cheapie guns with no filters or proper regulators. Ended up with a Sata Minijet!
The clean up is not so bad. You just have to factor it in before you start. You get quick at it after a few cycles.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do to the A-10

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.