Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Eight Turbine B-52 >

Eight Turbine B-52

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Eight Turbine B-52

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eight Turbine B-52

I'd like to see a video of that b52 flying. Someone who downloaded it while it was available should post it on the site here so we all can see it.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys, [8D][8D][8D]

I have the video at home, I will post it tomorrow afternoon.

It is awesome.

Howard
Old 06-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is awesome

I would pay to see that jet fly and a picture next to it.

Johnny Hernandez
Old 06-12-2004, 10:53 AM

I read that the eight turbines were donated for the project.
That ought to knock off a few thousand $s from the builders cost.

Tremendous project and skilled hobbyist.

Do the retracts work?
Could not really tell from the airborne pics I looked at.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:26 AM
My Feedback: (2)

"At least you still alowed to fly your RC jets"

For now.....
Old 06-12-2004, 02:01 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is one awesome model and my hat's off to the folks that broght this to light and flight. Imagination and dreams is what brings us our future and how anyone decides to walk that path is their choice. How someone spends their funds on such wonderful dreams is their own concern, and some of us out here are wildly happy that someone chose to live a dream and build something that tickled their fancy. From the smallest rubber powered model to an eight engine jet bomber, it's all the same in the true light of the hobby and those that feel this is anyghing short of wonderful, needs to find a little more joy in life.

Now when is somebody going to build my favorite jet...the B-70 !

Soft and gentle landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 06-15-2004, 09:04 AM

Well, I just got into R/C planes a few years ago, back when D/F was the new hotness. Then all these turbines came around, and I had a new goal to aspire to. Spo I began to think... what would be the biggest, baddest, coolest plane you could model with turbines? Hmmm.... B-52.... 8 turbines, huge wingspan... that would be the baddest ever. It was a personal goal, to build the first B-52 model, despite my lack of experience, funding, or common sense. Unfortunately, the plan was put on hold, what with my career change (joined Navy) and then one day, I look around the sites I used to frequent, and I see these beautiful pictures of a gargantuan B-52 soaring skyward under the power of 8 roaring turbines. ( please, someone send me video...) I really don't know how to feel.... I'm amazed to see it fly, but at the same time, I can't help but be a little bit envious... a few more years, a bit more time and money, and I woulda had it too. Oh well... I guess it's time to find the new ultimate project, and enjoy the excellent work that everyone associated with this project has obviously put in.... even if I would have done it better... oh, btw... easy way around the FAA regs... put a passenger on it and license it as an experimental aircraft... heck, then you can file Fluffy D. Cat as a dependent on your tax returns too.... you win both ways... Oh, and as far as the safety issue, it's not like we fly around highly populated areas, the worst we could do is start a wildfire and possibly annihilate ourselves in a largish fireball.... then again, I am biased, since I have seen a few fires involving JP-5... and I had a big old AFFF truck with me... just my 2 cents
Old 06-15-2004, 12:39 PM

As a builder of large jets, I think the B-52 they did is great. I would like to know if it was done all built up or if it is fiberglass? If its that big just take it out to the salt flats where it can't possibly hurt anyone or anything. Ummmmm XB-70? 15-20' long would be cool.

John
Old 06-15-2004, 12:54 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: schmleff

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Ferguson

That is just stupid. Its bigger than my homebuilt and costs 5 times as much.

I don't see what's stupid about it, eccentric maybe, but not stupid. I doubt it's 5 times as much money either, unless your homebuilt is only like an $8000 airplane
It is. Not trying to start a fight here. I just seems crazy to put that kind of money into something that could go up in smoke so easily.
Where did it say you got to decide what was a stupid amount of money or not? Personally, I find this and that giant C-17 some very impressive feats of engineering. Great work guys.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:31 PM

John,
It's all built out of balsa. There was a construction article in one of the UK mags.
Here's a link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/B%2D...1788081/tm.htm
Jon
Old 07-14-2004, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: hsj

Hey guys, [8D][8D][8D]

I have the video at home, I will post it tomorrow afternoon.

It is awesome.

Howard
....but you never did. So where is that freakin´ video of the giant B 52? And how can it be, that Wren took it off its site? I have been searching high and low and am even starting to believe in some sort of conspiracy. []

Greetings
Old 07-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Banned

[/quote]

....but you never did. So where is that freakin´ video of the giant B 52? And how can it be, that Wren took it off its site? I have been searching high and low and am even starting to believe in some sort of conspiracy. []

Greetings
[/quote]

LOL
Old 07-14-2004, 07:42 PM

We have it hosted here for the guys

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/
Old 07-14-2004, 08:09 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Daniel Hice

We have it hosted here for the guys

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/

Absolutely stunning!! It makes the rest of our R/C aircraft look like toys.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Banned

Oh my GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[X(][X(] that thing looks like its a Hand full and a half, talk about using a full size runway

I take my hat off to you guys and congrats.

Johnny Hernandez
Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 AM

In my best Chrocodile Dundee voice..

"That's not an RC Plane....... Now this is an RC plane!"

Simply amazing!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:34 PM

Amazing airplane! Too bad it is not in America. I don't like the 55 pound limit. It would be cool if someone made a large EDF or gas ducted fan airplane. I am sure someone could build an airplane this size, but much lighter. [8D]
Old 07-16-2004, 04:28 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I don't understand what 9/11 has to do with anything. These regulations have been in place for years. We live in a responsibility free world so everything has to be childproof. This is a cool project and anyone here could build and fly one if money entered the right hands (unfortunantly). Terrorist would not build somthing this cool to destroy anything and besides if they did they would probably lose interest in genocide and go fly. We have all learned he with the money can do anything.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:08 PM

lol that is so true
Old 07-22-2004, 12:00 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Fantastic accomplishment, My hat is off to that crew.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Ferguson

It is. Not trying to start a fight here. I just seems crazy to put that kind of money into something that could go up in smoke so easily.

You can say that about any RC model or almost anything in all honesty. How many people go out and buy a $40,000 4x4 just to take through the woods, or a $25,000 Harley that they lay down the first time out.
Yes, the potential for a huge loss is there, but it is in anything you do.

People have asked me about the cost of my jets many times, when I tell them the price they think I'm nuts, then I compare it to snowmobiles, Harley's, Sports cars etc etc etc. They agree that the cost for a "toy" isn't so bad after that. However, then they say, "it could all be lost in one flight"
My reply is, yup, and a Ferrari can be destroyed in one outing, the difference is I KNOW I can walk away from my crash.
I kinda see where Schmleff is coming from. It is a very cool plane indeed, and I'm glad someone built it, and have a lot of respect for that person as a builder. But at some level you have to wonder if it was worth it that kind of money. For me, no. As for the Harley, truck, and Ferrari you mention, lets compare them against the model airplane.
The model- you can fly it, you can look at it, but if it goes down you won't be able to do either.
The other toys you mention- can be driven, and will take you somewhere. Most likely they are insured, so in the less likely event of an accident you get your money back. They can also be resold to a larger market base to recoup some of the original cost. But the most important thing of all- full scale cars, trucks, bikes and boats can get the chicks. No model can do that....
Old 07-23-2004, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But the most important thing of all- full scale cars, trucks, bikes and boats can get the chicks. No model can do that....
In case you aren't aware. Any chick that's attracted to you because of you car, truck, bike or boat will eventually inflict far more financial damage on you than an 8-turbine B-52 model going down. Especially if you have a couple of kids with her.

With that shallow of an attitude, I'm sure you'll find this all out the hard way!

Ask me how I know[&o]
Old 07-23-2004, 05:26 PM

So true SD...so true...
Old 07-23-2004, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

But the most important thing of all- full scale cars, trucks, bikes and boats can get the chicks. No model can do that....
In case you aren't aware. Any chick that's attracted to you because of you car, truck, bike or boat will eventually inflict far more financial damage on you than an 8-turbine B-52 model going down. Especially if you have a couple of kids with her.

With that shallow of an attitude, I'm sure you'll find this all out the hard way!

Ask me how I know[&o]
That's why it's all about the vasclip these days! BTW, how do you know?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:10 AM

Ba bye,

http://www.mcgirt.net/RC/VIDEOS/Giant_B52/b52crash.mpeg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.