Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 And the building process begins!!!! >

And the building process begins!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

And the building process begins!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And the building process begins!!!!

Iam pleased to announce that the building process of my Y/A F-16A has begun. The caps to the leading and trailing edges for the wings, ailerons, rudder and stabilators are now complete and curing. Tomorrow i'll hit the rear former in the fuse as well as the rudder and elevator servo installs in the rear of the fuse. More pics to come......

Richie
Old 10-18-2004, 05:52 PM

Default RE: And the building process begins!!!!

Sorry, forgot to upload 1st pic!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45063.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	184010  
Old 10-19-2004, 12:22 PM

I ordered 2 saddle tanks for this model. I actually found 15oz tanks! Is 30 ozs of fuel too much for this bird running an OS 91 with Dynamax fan?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:56 PM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think 30oz is too much. There is never too much. Don't forget it is actually 32oz (you need a 1-2 oz hopper tank).

I have the 2nd generation F-16C, and from looking at your picture it is a lot easier to build than yours. Make sure you make that leading edge sharp man, else it will not look "killer". You will be able to fly for a lot longer time than I can at 24 oz.

Regards,
David
Old 10-19-2004, 12:58 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweat, whats for power?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:56 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Richie,

I use to run 32oz in my Byron F-16 and then only thing I noticed from switching 24oz to 32oz is that take off runs increased slightly. Once in the air, it took just a bit longer to get on step and after 3 to 4 minutes of flying she really came alive and the fun began. I normally flew for around 8 minutes, but I imagine I could have gotten 10 or 12 depending on power management.

Good luck and keep posting pictures on your progress.

JR Gautreaux
Old 10-19-2004, 06:20 PM

Cool. I was afraid the saddle tanks would be too big, and yes, 2 ounce hopper tank a definite!!! I just got in from the hobby shop and picked up a bunch of goodies....I hope to make a lot of progress by the weekend.

David, I found this killer aluminum sanding block with grooves in it for sanding wing edges. One of the 3 edges is the EXACT match for the wings on this model. It's going to be awesome!!! I also looked further into that website and found the one missing pic I needed that makes reference to the bottom of the jet for that killer paint scheme you showed me. I NOW have everything I need to finish up this baby, but i'm gonna take my time with it, I want it to be perfect. You know the deal!!!

You guys have been great so far and believe me, I will have more questions as time goes by. Unfortunately, I didn't get anything done today cause I was missing some supplies, tomorrow, BACK TO WORK!! Progress pics to follow.....

Richie
Old 10-19-2004, 06:22 PM

PS...sorry guys...that website I mentioned is www.F-16.net

I'll save the paint scheme I decided on for later....don't wanna spoil the surprise.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:07 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Richie,

Beware of using that sanding block with grooves. If it is the Easy-Touch Contour Multi-Sander by Great Planes, the edges can dig in at times and gouge the leading edge. Plus sometimes the sand paper does not properly stick to the curve and comes up.

I always use a flat sanding block and sand at 45 degree angles. I normally end up with 3 or 5 edges per side from the angle sanding. Then I use sand paper wrapped around 3 of my fingers and round out the edges. Makes for a nice straight and uniform leading edge. Plus hand sanding allows any imperfections to be felt and dealt with.

JR Gautreaux