Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Brake Pedal >

Brake Pedal

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pedal

I came up with this idea to spring load one of the sliders on my tx. On some of my planes I use a simple air switch to activate the brakes using the snap roll button, works fine and is real simple. Once I started to use a proportional brake valve, I still used the snap button, although it always seemed kind of silly to have a nice proportional valve only to end up using it in the on\off sense. I tried it on a slider but the feel was all wrong to me and I don't like it on down elevator either. One disadvantage would be that you couldn't preset your brakes before touchdown, something I've never done anyways. I could probably mix in another lever for a preset position if I really wanted to. I still have it mixed to the snap button for launches and panic stops.

It would be nice to see a dedicated spring loaded lever on future radios. I think expo on that channel would be a good idea as well so you could adjust the brake feel to your liking. I gave mine some mechanical expo with the servo linkage to soften up the braking rate.

I only did this mod today so the only test was in the driveway without the engine running. So far I like it and will try taxi test later when I get a chance. A full blown flight test will have to wait till Capital Jets.

Here are some pics of what I did. Just in case I was successful, I took pics of what I did from start to finish if anyones interested.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91556.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	286691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16953.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	286692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38618.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	286693  
Old 06-18-2005, 05:41 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Brake Pedal

Nicely done, but...................IMHO,
How do you set and hold the brakes before engine start?
From a safety standpoint, many of us set the brakes before engine start to prevent the airplane from rolling when the engine spools up.
Also, when the time comes to shut the engine down, some engines (JetCat for example) automatically spins up to about 55,000 RPM for a few seconds, which requires holding the airplane or using the brakes.

Having the brakes on the unmodified Aux 3 slider makes sense to me.

Please keep us informed as to how this feature works out. Perhaps you or someone out there can figure out a way to make the slider do both things....auto return like yours, and work normally at the flyers discression. That would be neat.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
Team JetCat
Old 06-18-2005, 06:34 PM
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the mix switch and a mix?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:33 PM

A mix would be easy if I wanted a parking brake, I used to have my brakes set up this way but never really used it much. I prefer to hold the nose on start up and shut down. I could, if I wanted, use the snap button to hold for shut down as I do like to manually spool up a bit before shut down. Usually its the spotters job to hold the nose, that is if he's not off yakking with someone after you land!

Chris
Old 06-18-2005, 11:47 PM

Come to think of it, it's simply a matter of unhooking the return spring if you want to restore the slider to original:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19387.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	286860  
Old 06-19-2005, 07:52 AM
My Feedback: (73)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally always mix brakes to "down" elevator stick. I also can add the same mix on top of that to a dial or slider if i want to preset brakes before landing .. This way, there is no additional control to reach for on landing ...

Wojtek
Old 06-19-2005, 08:30 AM
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: wojtek

I personally always mix brakes to "down" elevator stick. I also can add the same mix on top of that to a dial or slider if i want to preset brakes before landing .. This way, there is no additional control to reach for on landing ...

Wojtek
I do exactly the same as Woj, Down elevator and mixed to right slider for Parking brake and preset if needed....
Old 06-19-2005, 09:08 AM

I Know this is kind of low priority, kind of a gadget and all the other ways work fine, just something I thought of a while ago and thought I'd give it a try. If I don't like it I can always remove it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

<span style="border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; font-size: medium;" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color: rgb(76, 76, 76); font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: 1px; line-height: 17px; text-align: left;" class="Apple-style-span">All units come standard with a mechanical load brake and undergo rigorous testing to comply with Electric Chain Hoists quality standards</span></span>
Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Spam. Ticket issued.