Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 THE RETURN OF THE VIPERJET >

THE RETURN OF THE VIPERJET

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

THE RETURN OF THE VIPERJET

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts
Default RE: THE RETURN OF THE VIPERJET

They look like they are 530 series retracts and 440 series ( 7/16 ) struts, measure the thickness of the struts to be sure.

The 530 retracts are for up to 18 Lbs airplanes.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:01 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So maybe I should change the gear out and that just might be why they didnt hold up to a hard landing?

What is the correct gear to buy to this plane?
Old 07-29-2006, 04:44 AM

The recommended retracts are the 630 strait struts retracts, part # 630 strait struts, this are for the mains only, Tam has retracts that are equal to the 630 series retracts, that's what I'm using in my viperjet combine with Robart Robostruts 1/2 modified, cut to fit the Viperjet wing for length. you can also get good wheels with brakes from him too.

Here is were Kevin G. can help by giving us the length to cut to ( I like to compare to mine ).
Old 07-29-2006, 12:11 PM

Thanks Carlos, now for the front?

Anyone know where you can get the front probe that goes out the nose?

Once I get it all together and flying its going into the paint shop for some custom scheme...
Old 07-29-2006, 01:38 PM

I will say, skip that part as most if not all of us fly them without it, I thing they are for static show only, as per AMA the nose of any airplane can't be that sharp, I will recommend to keep the nose door off for now, after it has flown a few flights or after the paint job you could install it ( less work before the first flight ).
Old 07-29-2006, 02:05 PM

For the front, use the 630 series nose retract combine with a 7/16 dia. nose struts cut to fit, also get a nose steering arm from Tam ( $ 8.00 check his site under undercarriage acces. ) This will save you from going home if you happen to bend the pin on a hard landing on the nose ( get one extra pin to keep in the box ).
Old 07-29-2006, 08:10 PM

By chance does anyone have any videos of this thing in action?
other than the short clip on CA Jets latest vid..
Old 07-31-2006, 01:57 PM
My Feedback: (6)

LOL !
Carlos, the only good and aceptable reason to accept the honor of been nominated by you (thanks!) for President of the VJS [sm=lol.gif] is that so far I had bought 3 [sm=wink.gif] Anyway I really appreciate your complement
Take care....

ORIGINAL: CARS II
Darcy
You see, you are about to become the newes member of the infamous VP jet society, Miguel been the President since we all learned from his thread so much.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:50 PM
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The recommended retracts are the 630 strait struts retracts, part # 630 strait struts, this are for the mains only, Tam has retracts that are equal to the 630 series retracts, that's what I'm using in my viperjet combine with Robart Robostruts 1/2 modified, cut to fit the Viperjet wing for length. you can also get good wheels with brakes from him too.

Here is were Kevin G. can help by giving us the length to cut to ( I like to compare to mine ).
I'll try to get to my jet sometime this week to get a measurement of the main struts---It is in storage as I'm living in an apartment now until my new home is finished...[:@] I still fly but I have to charge everything at the field....[:'(] Here's a pic of a home similar to what my home is supposed to look like and one of my home in the current building stage...We've got a loooong way to go!!!

I'm using 3" BVM wheels and brakes on the mains so the length of my struts will only get you in the ballpark if you use a different size wheel/tire combo. I also modified my Robart 630's so that the air cylinder faces away from the retracted strut. A friend of mine is using the Tam wheels/brakes---They look good but any hard side load will roll the tires off of the wheels. He is going to glue his tires on...

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37514.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	499771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26951.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	499772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53355.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	499773  
Old 08-01-2006, 01:01 AM

Miguel

Guest what I saw at Tam's been ready for shipment today, it's big, white and red, and it comes in a big brown box. you guested right., your new V Jet, yahooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TAM gear is solid and nice but there is a bit of an issue i covered in another thread with side loads pulling the wheels off the axles. The E circlips used dont seem to hold very well. Someone recommended using Intairco axles, I couldnt get those so instead I have simply used collets secured with strong thread lock and they are holding nicely. I fly off grass and after a long dry spell here in the UK the grass strips are like corrugated concrete and hence there is alot of ground vibration and random side loads.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 AM

Miguel

Guest what I saw at Tam's been ready for shipment today, it's big, white and red, and it comes in a big brown box. you guested right., your new V Jet, yahooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought you were going to say a Birthday Girl wearing nothing but a little Red Bikini...
Old 08-01-2006, 09:32 AM

Please send them both please bud carefull if Tam wrap Dave into a red bikini to get rid of him....[X(]

ORIGINAL: mu2driver

Miguel

I thought you were going to say a Birthday Girl wearing nothing but a little Red Bikini...
Old 08-01-2006, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Miguel Santana

Please send them both please bud carefull if Tam wrap Dave into a red bikini to get rid of him....[X(]

ORIGINAL: mu2driver

Miguel

The thought makes me shiver...
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM

Dave, piuck.........[:'(] [:'(] [:'(] .
Old 08-01-2006, 03:50 PM

I see---So Dave's second job is popping out of birthday cakes?!?!????----

Miguel---Let us see if you do anything different to this Viperjet and any new mods you may come up with...[sm=thumbup.gif]

Kevin
Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Yeah!!!! How about decoy flares like the fighters .
Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 PM

Kevin,
I´m considering not to add the speed brakes this time to save weight. The crowd setting seems to be the best way to go.

Also I´m considering not to displace the turbine forward as I did. It happened to me that everytime I push to full throtle the VJ had a bad big tendency to pitch down. After scraching my head for a while a few days ago I came to the conclusion that it was happending cos of the displacement of the turbine forward the CG....I´m very open to opinions about this... The bad thing is that more weight will be require at the nose for balance, or even better a fat pilot figure at the lead seat in the cockpit

Also, instead of using 7/16" struts mains and 1/4" nose.....going with 1/2" mains & 7/16" nose.

I guess there is not to much to add or mod to the jet....and Carlos...maybe a parachute for landing [&:]

Old 08-01-2006, 05:19 PM

Miguel---I placed my turbine as far forward as I could get it and it has no pitch down issues when the throttle is slammed to the stop...I dunno why yours had that issue!?!???? The only issue with mine is that if you get this plane too slow it doesn't stall straight ahead but snaps off to one side or the other---Other than that this plane is a dream to fly!!! I don't have crow on mine yet and won't until this winter when I take the plane apart as I want to fly this baby until then!!!

Kevin
Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 PM

Kevin

You are going to be surprised when you get to fly with the Crow set up, it slows the airplane just fine for landing yet with authority and full control.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60527.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	500418  
Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 PM

Thanks, CARS---I just don't want to disassemble the plane just yet---I really can't do any serious work on it while in an apartment...I have the ailerons "Y"ed together as for now.

Kevin
Old 08-01-2006, 09:29 PM

Good thing, enjoy it the way it is, less building more flying.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crow seems to kill any tip stalling tendencies, but even when i slow mine up without flap/crow i still have to put in quite an aggressive turn or something to get it to tip stall otherwise it just pitches down. Mind you i still have a slightly forward CoG. It could go back some more yet, still 3/4lb of lead in the nose.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:38 AM

That´s a great input for me Kevin.
Did you modified the turbine bracket as I did with mine? That´s another possibility for the pitch....that due the trust the turbine apply a torsion force affecting the trust orientation while the jet brakes the inicial drag Resistance....my brain is warm [&:]
Another possible reason is that by mistake I change the angle of exit of the pipe at the rear end...due the tail-cone.....

ORIGINAL: Kevin Greene

Miguel---I placed my turbine as far forward as I could get it and it has no pitch down issues when the throttle is slammed to the stop...I dunno why yours had that issue!?!???? The only issue with mine is that if you get this plane too slow it doesn't stall straight ahead but snaps off to one side or the other---Other than that this plane is a dream to fly!!! I don't have crow on mine yet and won't until this winter when I take the plane apart as I want to fly this baby until then!!!

Kevin
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 AM

Carlos....I hate to say it, but I know very well what you mean

Good thing, enjoy it the way it is, less building more flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.