Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Discarding last season's kero ? >

Discarding last season's kero ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Discarding last season's kero ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Discarding last season's kero ?

Hey Folks,

Firstly,
What do you guys do with the left over turbine fuel from last season?
Chime in if you have a recommendation. As of yet, I have not figured out who in my area will take this off my hands.

Secondly,
Is there any one out there currently building the Jet-Mart large scale A-6 Intruder?
If so, could you please share your pro/cons in reference to the build. I have been considering this for my next large jet, however, there is very little in the way of success story with regard to this behemoth of a kit.

Of course this build would certainly take the better part of a year to complete, as such I envision the power of two Simjet nexus 3000's. A great scale rendition of the landing gear, perhaps by our friends at the Sierra gear company. By the looks of them, they seem to share similar design to the F-14 Tomcat. And naturally, a full complimentary cockpit with working back-lit instrumentation for the pilot and weapons system officer. And the external stores that made the A-6 a real workhorse for the Navy and Marines Corp.

Thats it folks, quite the request, but hey, I need to get craking on a new jet soon.
Happy Holidays and a safe and healthy new year.
Frank and family.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Discarding last season's kero ?

Firstly,
Chime in if you have a recommendation. As of yet, I have not figured out who in my area will take this off my hands.
I keep mine sealed in a dark place (don't know if that matters or not) and off the concrete and burn it the next year...no problems (and it gets pretty darned cold here in winter...)

Old 12-23-2006, 11:27 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I'm storing mine in the garage to keep it from geting too cold. Raise it off the concrete floor on a 2"x4" platform, and use it next year.
It should be good to go.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 12-24-2006, 09:42 AM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

If it gets too old I dump it in my dodge diesel pickup. Runs fine. Bob
Old 12-24-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

What's the reason for keeping it off a concrete floor?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:08 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the issue with it getting cold? As long as it is well sealed, what can the cold do? I assume the concern is moisture instrusion, is that correct?

Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:50 PM

I don't know..I went through this last year and it was suggested to keep it off the concrete. Seemed reasonable and easy to do, so why not? It got to 30 below in my unheated garage last winter...I don't know if it turned solid or not.... I didn't waste any time getting from the warm house to the heated car t ocheck on it....
Old 12-24-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll 2nd Wayne's comments. I've had a mixed fuel / oil jug last a very long time with no discoloration. The key is keeping it in a sealed container. I made a machined aluminum cap with o-ring seal and Festo bulkhead fittings just for this reason. Seems to do the trick.... The fuel's longevity may also have something to do with the kero jug not being clear, as the blue plastic likely has some UV / visible light blocking ability that may be beneficial. I don't know if keeping it off a concrete floor helps or not, but after reading this I'm goinna move my jug since its a pretty easy fix.

Happy Holidays,
Kelly
Old 12-24-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

I'm storing mine in the garage to keep it from getting too cold. Raise it off the concrete floor on a 2"x4" platform, and use it next year.
It should be good to go.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Too Cold???! 'You mean like -36C (-33F).......That's the limit for an Airbus for Jet-A in the tank, but I'm pretty sure that it will still work when it warms up again.

I think that the only issues with "old" fuel would be moisture intrusion and then the subsequent algae growth. I use Jet-A that has additives in it to curtail the algae growth. So keep the container sealed and out of the direct sunlight and it should be fine........"Last Year's Fuel"....not an issue in AZ anyway!

Happy Holidays,

John
Old 12-24-2006, 08:03 PM

Too cold!!!!

The Airbus probably uses Jet-A1, which contains additives to allow it to flow at -36C.
I use Jet-A, which has no anti-freeze additives like Jet-A1.

Right now the OAT is 22.6 degrees F. in Kalispell, Mt. We're having a heat wave! It was 15 degrees this morning.
The condensation is the only problem with the low temperature, and since I don't use additives, I keep it above the dew point, as the algae grows in the water at the separation point.

The photo does't show the additional 6" of snowfall that we have now. I leave it in my 20 foot trailer when the weather is a little warmer.

Harley Condra
BVm REP
JetCat REP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73271.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	583180  
Old 12-24-2006, 08:35 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Nope, Airbus regular Jet-A. The -36C is a limitation because colder than that the fuel begins to crystalize. -36C is pretty much the normal limitation for other aircraft also that I know about. Rare to get to that -36C but have been there before. Needing to go faster to heat it up after a long transcon in super cool winter air (I think it was -72C that day at altitude) but had to give in and go lower trying to warm it up.

Frank
You can always get rid of it on a nasty neighbors lawn you don't like

BC
Old 12-24-2006, 08:38 PM

What are U doin up there? Wuz great flyin weather today here in So. Calif. Happy holidays Mel.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:21 PM

Mel Santmyers?

Howya doing, old friend? Long time no see.
I'm retired up here living the good life! What are you up to?

Frank,
Does the Airbus have fuel heater/oil cooler engine oil coolers that double as fuel heaters? I have some P&W experience with them in years gone bye. (P&W T-34P-9W's on JP-4.)
I checked some of the jet fuel technical info websites, (MSDS's and such) and found that the freeze point of Jet-A is -40 degrees C, and Jet-A1 is -47 degrees C. The anti-icing inhibitor package in Jet-A1 is to just to keep the ever present water in the fuel from freezing.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 12-24-2006, 09:27 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Harley, I think that was for me. Yes fuel /oil heat exchangers installed but they can only do so much in those conditions. You are right on the -40. Most limit it to -36 so you never get to -40.
Now I'm getting cold! have to get some more adult beverage/antifreeze in me LOL Yea I know its 78 outside but just thinking brrr cold.
Holiday Cheers to all,
BC
Old 01-17-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Frank Alvarez

Hey Folks,

Firstly,

Secondly,
Is there any one out there currently building the Jet-Mart large scale A-6 Intruder?
If so, could you please share your pro/cons in reference to the build. I have been considering this for my next large jet, however, there is very little in the way of success story with regard to this behemoth of a kit.

Of course this build would certainly take the better part of a year to complete, as such I envision the power of two Simjet nexus 3000's. A great scale rendition of the landing gear, perhaps by our friends at the Sierra gear company. By the looks of them, they seem to share similar design to the F-14 Tomcat. And naturally, a full complimentary cockpit with working back-lit instrumentation for the pilot and weapons system officer. And the external stores that made the A-6 a real workhorse for the Navy and Marines Corp.

Thats it folks, quite the request, but hey, I need to get craking on a new jet soon.
Happy Holidays and a safe and healthy new year.
Frank and family.
In response to your second question, you may want one a set of these:

http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id8.html

Old 01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do what I did,
Go to home depot and buy one of those steel round gardening tubs, about 10 or 20 gallons or so and dump it in there and have a nice fire in your back yard. It makes for a REAL NICE campfire in the cold weather... you just have to keep moving to keep out of the smoke when the wind changes direction. I burned like 2 gallons at once and it was a handful.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:48 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Jet Jocks,
I have decided to do the jet community a public service. At the end of each flying season send me all your unused Jet-A or K-1 with or without turbine oil for proper disposal. I will personally see to it that it is disposed of properly. Our service will follow all the applicable rules and code requirements concerning disposal of hazardous materials. There will be no charge for this public service.
Don't risk damaging your engine next spring with that old fuel! Fuel must be shipped or delivered to Stuart, Florida.
Jetboy