Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Which Australian available auto paint to finish jet? >

Which Australian available auto paint to finish jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Which Australian available auto paint to finish jet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Australian available auto paint to finish jet?

Hi,

I am up to the stage of the paint job on my Sabre, and need advice on which brand of Aussie available paint to use???? I have glassed the wing, and am going to put a couple of layers of thinned down z-poxy finishing resin on next. What do I use to fix imperfections and pin holes etc. before priming, or will the priming do this, and which primer?? Also what auto paint, and where do I get this from? I have been down to the local auto paint shop, and they have Sikkens paints, for quite reasonable prices. Also what colour is the metallic finish on a lot of the original Sabres, or is this just called Aluminum? I am thinking about doing the Skyblazers theme. Thanks for any help, and thanks to those who have helped me already, this site is a wealth of info, I just wish I had found it earlier....

Tim.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:47 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Go to the local Auto Paint shop and get some two pack primer.
Try to get a light colour. I have some that is a pale yellow colour.
I use this after the glass and resin.
Then ask the paint shop for some two pack "clear over base".
Most brands have a paint system that includes the base colour and the clear.
Here in Sydney I use Regal brand . Dulux makes one also though it is a little more expensive.
As far as the silver is concerned, try to get one with smallest particles.

The paint shop guys know which is which.

Have a look at the BVM Sabre painting instructions.

Spray outside, downwind, and use a mask!!!

Email me any questions

Regards
Old 05-13-2003, 05:31 PM

Tim,

It is not necessary to use two pack primer/paint under a two pack clear finish. To fill pinholes and slight imperfections I generally brush on a thick layer of auto primer/filler and when dry then sand it all off. It will fill all the pinholes and slight blemishes and leave a good finish for priming. I then prime with a normal acrylic auto undercoat in grey. If any imperfections show up then primer/filler is used again in those areas and then undercoated again. Rub the whole lot down with a very fine grade of wet and dry. Minimum of 1200 grade. For the colour coats I have used automotive base coat paint which is for use with a clear coat finish. I have also used water based paint which is made expressly for automotive airbrush art. It is called CREATEX Auto Air and is available through a company called Supply One in Heidelberg, Melbourne. This paint is excellent, comes in a huge range of colours, is water based and is non toxic. It is also very quick to apply as you spray a coat and then "set" the paint with a hair dryer. As an example I painted my Spectre in a total of 4 hrs, 4 colours and clear finish, and this aircraft has won best sport jet category at Adelaide twice. As a bonus it is also way cheaper than auto acrylics or 2 Pak paints.
If you do use 2 Pak paint then ensure you wear a good quality respirator as the solvents are very dangerous to your health over time.

Regards,

Russell.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:15 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Russell and Tom for all your help. I will be using a respirator, it is one thing I have picked up from these posts that is very important. There are so many differing versions to the same (maybe) end, a painted jet to be proud of.

Tim.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default paint

Hello Russell!

Just a quick question about the paint. I'm rubbing down my bvm f-16 for a long overdue re-paint and have some questions. When you cleared the "Createx" paint did you use a two pak clear, or is their a special clear for this paint? Also, does the water base paint cover well?

Regards, Frank L
Old 05-16-2003, 07:21 AM

G,Day Frank,

I see you have sold the Sabre. Whats the next project going to be?
In answer to your questions; the CREATEX paint does not require any special clear coat and 2 pac clear works very well. The paint covers as well as any other that I have used and also it is used straight out of the bottle, it does not require thinning.

regards,

Russell.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:05 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: paint

Originally posted by frankie
Hello Russell!

Just a quick question about the paint. I'm rubbing down my bvm f-16 for a long overdue re-paint and have some questions. When you cleared the "Createx" paint did you use a two pak clear, or is their a special clear for this paint? Also, does the water base paint cover well?

Regards, Frank L
You might want to take a quick look at Jeremy's excellent painting tutorial - he is using Createx paints there, and I believe his info answers all your questions.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...346&forumid=26

Gordonn