Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Love my new HVLP gun, will never go back to high pressure gun >

Love my new HVLP gun, will never go back to high pressure gun

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Love my new HVLP gun, will never go back to high pressure gun

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my new HVLP gun, will never go back to high pressure gun

This weekend I got a chance to try my new Devilbiss SRI HVLP gun for the first time. The gun was a birthday present (March) from my wife, and this was my first opportunity to use it. I had been a little apprehensive about using it since last year I had a bad experience with an inexpensive HVLP gun that I had bought for home projects. Basically I had to start the paint job over thanks to massive runs. I was livid.

I decided to stick with a simple project for my first time out. The gun performed flawlessly. At 29 PSI in it puts out 10 psi at the tip. I used relatively little paint compared to my high pressure Badger 400 detail gun and I was thrilled to 1) not be standing in a cloud of fumes and 2) to not have overspray everywhere. The control with the gun is excellent. You can vary the tip pattern from the size of a small paintbrush to a 6 inch fan. Cleaning was a cinch comparitively. The gravity flow system and the nozzle have less parts than my old siphon feed gun. Finally the workmanship of this gun is extraordinary. It even has a nice dark blue anondized finish. The kit came with the gun, a stainless cup, a plastic cup, cleaning brushes a wrench and good instructions.

Thanks to David Reid and Todd Witkoff for converting me to HVLP.

Antony
Old 06-16-2003, 10:40 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default HVLP

Could you tell me about the Cheap gun you had and also the price of the DeVilbus gun?
Sparky
Old 06-17-2003, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prices

Sparky:

The DeVilbiss SRI HVLP costs $220 from allsprayguns.com. I initially had some trouble working with All Spray Guns when they were having facility/computer trouble, but to their credit they did a good job of straightening out the mess.

I am not sure what brand the older HVLP gun is. I think it is a Reliant. I believe it cost about $70. It worked great for furniture/doors and lousy for airplanes :-) I couldn't get the atomization fine enough without reducing the paint so much that it would run easily. Perhaps I was using too much pressure. At any rate I don't have to mess with it anymore.

Antony