Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Blue Angles Paint Codes >

Blue Angles Paint Codes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Blue Angles Paint Codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Angles Paint Codes

Does anyone have PPG numbers for Blue Angles blue and yellow? Planning on using DCC.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Blue Angles Paint Codes

Well I dont know about PPG numbers but you can get the FS numbers real easy. The blue is its own color, called "Blue Angel Blue" and I am not sure if the yellow is "Insignia Yellow" or "Chrome Yellow".

[link]http://www.testors.com/products/145722[/link]
[link]http://www.testors.com/products/136134[/link]
[link]http://www.testors.com/products/136136[/link]
Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 PM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: billtulsa

Does anyone have PPG numbers for Blue Angles blue and yellow? Planning on using DCC.

Thanks,

Bill

F-18 Blues or A4 Blues. Two different color blues.

David
Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 PM

A4 Blue. Do you know if a paint store can cross the FS numbers without a sample chip? Maybe just should by the testors and have it locally matched.

Thanks for your help.

Bill
Old 01-13-2010, 08:15 PM

Paint store will not be able to cross reference the FS numbers since auto paint does work on the same scale. I had to create swatches and then take them down and have them use their PPG color matching camera. If you do that make sure the surface of the swatch is shiny or it wont work. Flat surfaces do not reflect enough light for the camera to work.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the PPG numbers at work. I'll post them tomorrow. Be aware though, the type of paint used on them doesn't mean it will translate to automotive, most likely fleet. But this is what I do for a living, where there is a will there is a way. If I have to I'll formulate them in anything PPG you want to use and forward the formulas to you so you can get them made locally. I have actual samples here at home of the paint used on the Hornet. There are at least two blues and two yellows. For what it's worth I can supply the Thunderbirds actual colors as well. Always willing to help.

Dan
www.gocolours.com
Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM

BTW, alot of the FS numbers do cross. It's what they cross into that can be the problem. There are at least a dozen or so individual paint lines, it all depends on the original intended use of the color as to which type (DBC, DBU, Omni, Shop Line, DelFleet, Delta, LIC etc...) of paint they cross into.

Dan
Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks Dan, look forward to seeing those.

Bill
Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi . Was an airframe mechanic with the Blues 1952-1954. I was also the painter then .The paint we used was lacquer. We mixed the Blue as follows, three parts Insigina blue to one part insignina white.. Orange Yellow. I have F9F 6 Cougar model that I painted then. I repaintd part of it last year. I found a spray can at Ace Hardware Blue that matched the Cougar. I know that the colors have changed over the years.. They had an F8F Bearcat in Galveston, Texas Museum and the Blue was some what lighter then my Cougar Model. Come to think of it the Yellow might have been insigina Yellow, it has been many years ago
Old 01-14-2010, 09:24 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,

I think I can Help you. Two buds and myself built three Yellow Aircraft F-18's at the same time in my shop. We painted with DBC ( Base Coat / Clear Coat PPG ). The numbers are as follows.... These are PPG numbers on their labels they affixed after mixing.

Blue is DBC11252*** H Named Postal Blue on their lable.

Yellow is DBC81656 Named Yellow on their label.

They did have to mix paints to get these colors. They came out PERFECT !!!!!!! Surely they can mix your DCC to get these colors now that have a point to start.. They may be the exact numbers with a DCC prefix... That would be my guess. Hope this helps you, Let my know how you end up !!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product !!!!!

Good Luck !!!!

Dan Massey

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

BTW, alot of the FS numbers do cross. It's what they cross into that can be the problem. There are at least a dozen or so individual paint lines, it all depends on the original intended use of the color as to which type (DBC, DBU, Omni, Shop Line, DelFleet, Delta, LIC etc...) of paint they cross into.

Dan

Interesting Dan, seems my paint guys are either inept or too lazy to check. Good info, thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM

The three astericks behind the formula number indicate that the color camera (Prophet) started with 11252 and tinted it. 11252 alone will not make that color. That is how the camera works. Five "pictures" are taken of the color. It actually isn't a picture but a numerical representation of the reflectivity it sees. The readings are downloaded into the PPG Access software and then the magic happens. The software is looking for a color that it feels either matches right off the bat or decides it has found a color it thinks is close. Then the software tints the color to what it feels is the match. Alot of times it works great but sometimes you wonder what it was thinking. Anyways, the three astericks indicate the software decided that formula # 11252 was workable. The system adjusted the formula so it would match what it "saw". Hopefully they included the actual formula on the label. If they didn't, go back to the jobber. The readings are still in the computer. Have them print out a formula and there you go.

Dan