Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 What,s not up >

What,s not up

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What,s not up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 PM
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What,s not up

HI all, I must be doing something wrong, I am setting up my Der Jet cougar with a BVM high flow valve and have no problem wacking the gear down, but going up is so slow.
I have added restrictors, one then 2 then 3 , no difference, still wacks down.
Need more punch on the mains going up.
Any idea's
Rcpete
PS, I even took the mains out of the loop, added a new valve and tried that, still slow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66295.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1407441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74006.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1407442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95343.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1407443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29213.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1407444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71096.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1407445  
Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What,s not up

I had a similar problem with mine. You may have a leaky cylinder(s). I took both of the mains apart and put 2 layers of teflon tape on the plunger, then rolled the O-rings over the plunger. Problem solved. Good luck. Still waiting to parlay weather and time to maiden mine. Alex.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

-restrictor must be placed as close as posible to the cylinder on the "up" line.

this will stop retract ending hard and damage the mount

-by passing restrictors on the way up to have more flow :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9548124

my 2c
Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My jetlegend T-45 does the same, since it has rrather small pistons and heavy struts, they retract slowly but come down hard upon opening. would love to know how to have them come down slowly without changing anything on the retraction side.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM

HI, I have these restricters in the down line and they do nothing, still the wheels slam down.
Rcpete
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Pete,

Restrictors work best if they are on the "relief" line instead of the fill line. Try putting the restrictors in the UP line to slow the gear down, and remove some from the DOWN line to increase the speed of the gear UP.

I would just put ONE in the UP and ONE in the DOWN.

worth trying....

Chad
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM

put a varable adjustment valve before the retrack valve works vary good on scale planes
Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I have seen this problem a couple of times in the last few years, gear goes great one way but looks like it is in slow motion the other way. You might try this test; with the gear in the down position, switch it to up and quickly disconnect a gear down line, if you have quick connects just unhook one of them. Keep you hand clear of the gear, because if I am right it is going to slam up. If it does slam up, or at least comes up quickly try repeating the test by pulling the down gear line off the valve when you pick the gear up. If the gear again comes up quickly the problem is the same one I have seen a couple of times which is that one side of the valve cannot vent fast enough. I have seen this with multiple brands, including BVM, and with multiple valves tried in the same model. My finial fix involved using a lathe to reshape the spindle to open up the venting capability on the offending side. If this is the case with yours I can come up with a sketch of what to do if you need it.

Once you have the gear going up and down correctly you can work out the restrictors.

Steven
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks steven, we will give it a test.
Rcpete
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 PM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

There was a very interesting related thread a few weeks ago. Someone was suggesting doubling a line, adding one or more restrictors on one line and a one way valve on the other line<div>
<span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: 'Courier New'; "> |===|&gt;|========|</span></span></div><div><div><span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: 'Courier New'; ">==============| |============
|====R=R=======|</span></span></div><div><span style="font-size: medium; "><span style="font-family: 'Courier New'; "></span></span></div><div></div><div>Depending on the direction of the one way valve, the air is restricted when flowing from one side to another but not the other way around. </div><div></div><div>I haven't tried this but it appears to work.</div><div></div><div>Arnaud</div></div>
Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 AM
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcpete347

HI, I have these restricters in the down line and they do nothing, still the wheels slam down.
Rcpete
In some cases, this can be due to the pressure required to over come the UP position over-center lock. If higher DOWN pressure is required to over come the lock, then the gear slams down once the lock releases. I have this problem on my A-10 as the weight of the main gear/wheel puts pressure on the piston T-bar, creating friction and resistance to unlock. Almost impossible to find a combination of restrictors to overcome the problem.

You can at least check to see that your up-lock is working smoothly and if not, you may be able to file, lube, restrict or otherwise adjust it for better operation.

Craig
Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 AM
My Feedback: (6)

If you're using a mechanical valve, check to make sure it is opening all the way on the down side. Pretty basic, but could be overlooked.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 AM

HI Graig you are right, last night, I tried to cycle the main gear only, on a separate BVM high flow valve, 80 psi, the mains locked, they would not come down for several minutes.I have already filed the cam, as instructed in the build manual, I guess the cams need more filing.
Don"t know why I have to file cams and teflon valves?
Rcpete
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found that putting a longer length of pressure line helped to slow up the operation of the gear.

Mike
Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure those are your "main tanks"? ..lol, jk.