Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Rock Crawlers
 Maybe someone here can help me... >

Maybe someone here can help me...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Maybe someone here can help me...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe someone here can help me...

I just purchased a Redcat Rockslide RS10 XT. It comes with 7.2v 1800mAh battery. I have a 2s 5000mAh lipo and wondered if i would hurt anything running it? i assume it doesnt have low-voltage cutoff, but im not worried about that. I just want to make sure i dont fry the electronics or ruin the motors. Second question. It comes with dual 70t 390 motors. I want to get motors that are a little faster. Im not sure what a good motor would be. i was looking at this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBSPT&P=7 I also was looking at this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLYV3&P=7 Which would be better? or is there something better than those around 20 bucks? Just want to get something a little better than stock, thats a little faster, will handle a better battery, and run off stock esc. Thanks for any help!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:51 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maybe someone here can help me...

If you run the lipo to low you can cause serious damage to it and maybe your rc too.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry double post..
Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM

I know about the battery. I'm wondering about the esc or the motors
Old 12-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i ran 2s lipo on my rs10. no problems.

then i upgraded the ESC to one that can handle 3s lipo.

there were a few times the rear motor would get pretty hot, but that was only on steep climbs.

there are not really any good 390 sized crawler motors that will work on the truck and yet give you more speed.

easiest way to get more speed is with a 3s lipo. even the 2s lipo will give a slight bump in speed.

i never looked into it with mine, but there should be some larger pinion gears out there....i just dont know what pitch the stock gears are.

there are some who modded the gear case to fit a 540 motor. that opens up alot more options. that same ESC is used on the 1/8 crawler that runs a pair of 100t 540 motors. i think you can get away with a pair fo 50t 540 motors on that ESC. that will increase the speed a bit(lower turn motor = higher RPMs)

the ESC i had uses was the RC4wd duel motor crawler ESC. its about $55 and has an external BEC(which give the servos more power) and can handle a 3s lipo(still no LVC tho)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Awesome!! Thanks a lot for the input! Exactly what I was looking for
Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 32_d3gr33s

Awesome!! Thanks a lot for the input! Exactly what I was looking for
no problem.

i had alot of fun with my rs10. i also upgraded the servos with metal gear ones from www.hobbypartz.com that only cost $15 each. they have more torque and done break easy.

i also bought a VW bug body that redcat has that fit very well on it and looked much better than the stock one.

also, if you havent done it yet, take the foams out of the tires and cut a start pattern in them. it will make the tires softer and they will have alot more grip.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91659.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1694914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46632.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1694915  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 AM

do you know exactly whats involved with modding the gear case to fit a 540 motor? How is the size determined for the motor? Probably 2/3 of the ones i look at, dont specify what size they are...
Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 AM

nitrosport, what body is that on your crawler?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

nitrosport, what body is that on your crawler?
here is the body: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

i did trim some of the fenders a bit. but its a pretty close fit right out of the box. i liked it alot more than the stock body. later on, i added thin alloy rods on the inside to look like a roll-cage.

i havent done the 540 mod myself. but i know you have to cut away some of the motor mount. a 540 motor isnt any longer than the stock one, just wider. so you have to make the mount holes different.

i know there are some utube vids of rs10 with 540 motors. one i recall was a totally modded chassis(1/8 scale) with 540 motors.