Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
1/16 Tamiya Gepard Upper-Hull >

1/16 Tamiya Gepard Upper-Hull

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/16 Tamiya Gepard Upper-Hull

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1/16 Tamiya Gepard Upper-Hull

I recently purchased this static model kit to convert to RC. it was hiding unbuilt but opened in someone’s attic. finally I was about to realize a childhood dream. while unpacking and checking for any damaged parts I quickly realized the upper-hull is missing. the seller cannot locate it — she inherited the kit and doesn’t know where it is.

so you see my dilemma. does anyone know where I could find a Tamiya Gepard upper-hull or an aftermarket one that would fit? as I told the lady, everything attaches around it and the kit is merely spare parts without it. I appreciate you reading this far and any help you might provide.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:35 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know if the leopard upper would fit that, but if it does mato mart has one for about $35.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I don't know if the leopard upper would fit that, but if it does mato mart has one for about $35.

Hope that helps.
good idea, but I don’t think that would work. I only see an upper-hull for the Leo 2A6. I would need a Leo 1 type. in RL, the Gepard is on a modified Leo 1 chassis. the two are considerably different and I don’t think I would be able to modify the 2A6 well. the driver’s hatch, glacis and rear of the deck are quite different.

I really appreciate your help though. perhaps I end up on that route with a Dremel, but I’ll be patient. thanks again.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:56 AM

Received 128 Likes on 97 Posts

Hackworth
I have a complete Tamiya Gepard static kit I got a couple years ago that I plan on only using the lower hull metal parts only for a Leo 1a5 conversion so I have every thing else for a Gepard I don't need and would be willing to part with what ever you would need .
My work schedule today and this weekend is all over the place but Monday night and after the 4th I would be able to communicate more on price and shipping of any items to Texas .
Just PM or email me [email protected] so we can later start talking .
thanks
Jimmy Miller
Old 06-30-2023, 09:58 AM

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts

Do you know anyone with a 3D printer? Even if it doesn't fit perfectly, it can be resized a little in the slicer. I would go with Jimmy's option first though...probably less headaches.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...rd-rc_3d_tanks

Last edited by tankme; 06-30-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:09 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I don't know if the leopard upper would fit that...
It would most definitely fit since they're both using the same Metal Chassis, but it wouldn't be the correct one as the upper portions are different enough to be easily noticeable like the Gepard not having the angled Front Corners or the Leopard being a bit shorter towards the Rear.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Durahl
It would most definitely fit since they're both using the same Metal Chassis, but it wouldn't be the correct one as the upper portions are different enough to be easily noticeable like the Gepard not having the angled Front Corners or the Leopard being a bit shorter towards the Rear.
Yes the Tamiya Leo 1A4 upper would fit the lower hull for both are the same .
Thanks
jimmy
Old 06-30-2023, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by bowlman
Hackworth
I have a complete Tamiya Gepard static kit I got a couple years ago that I plan on only using the lower hull metal parts only for a Leo 1a5 conversion so I have every thing else for a Gepard I don't need and would be willing to part with what ever you would need .
My work schedule today and this weekend is all over the place but Monday night and after the 4th I would be able to communicate more on price and shipping of any items to Texas .
Just PM or email me [email protected] so we can later start talking .
thanks
Jimmy Miller
You. are. Awesome!

I’ll be in touch soon.

Tankme, no I don’t have a 3D printer. my experience with 3D printed parts and my appreciation for them varies wildly. when they are great, I love um. when nasty, ugh, loath them. I have a ZU-23 that is atrocious. way to difficult to try and sand down and weak material. it was an expensive lesson.

can’t post a pic yet…one day, I’ll be able to show-and-tell.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:29 AM

Received 385 Likes on 243 Posts

You lucked out, jump on Bowlmans offer. There are so few upper hulls out there. That and the rear panel seems to be the most common missing major part.
Having many leoaprd 1 tanks here and building up 6 of them I have learned alot and where and how to source or make spare parts. The 3d print version is an option albeit a long last resort.
Good luck with your project. is it going to be a Ukrainian one?
Old 07-01-2023, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
You lucked out, jump on Bowlmans offer. There are so few upper hulls out there. That and the rear panel seems to be the most common missing major part.
Having many leoaprd 1 tanks here and building up 6 of them I have learned alot and where and how to source or make spare parts. The 3d print version is an option albeit a long last resort.
I jumped on Jimmy’s offer. check’s in the mail so to speak. I’m so relieved by his help and really all of you for chiming in. I don’t expect to start on this until I have all the mechanics and electronics figured out and purchased but I’ll keep you all apprised. some aftermarket parts are in need judging by the quality of the molding of some parts (like that little light plate in the rear that has a white cross on it that all German vehicles use) or lack of detail. I’m excited to get to work on it.

yes, I’ve been lurking around here for a bit of time and follow your Leo 1 builds. beautiful work, btw. inspired me to buy an old “motorized” Tamiya 1/35 Leo 1 (early type) to convert to RC. so it’s sitting by waiting too. as for the Gepard, I’m thinking ‘70s Bundeswehr to match the pre-NATO camo period the original release came as. but I struggle with these decisions until I’m locked in.
Old 07-01-2023, 11:34 AM

You really need to do the wheel bearing modification that I do. Otherwise the wheels eat themselves. Since its the static chassis I assume you can use tamiya tranys but those are very hard to find now so you might want to do the mods for henglong tranys, or if you want, I will sell the ETO trany I had Bob make for me. I have perfected my own install with jigs and such so well that I do not need his tranny now. I prefer to keep all my models the same as I build them. Its nearly one of a kind but it is super nice and robust. Just an offer. And I want to see a build thread as you go with your Gepard.
The following users liked this post:
bowlman (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 05:01 PM

Hi Rich
He took me up on it just in case today I asked him to look over the parts and see if anything is missing for the upper hull if so ill send them to just in case the original owner built up the upper hull and it got missed place .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 07-01-2023, 05:08 PM

You really need to do the wheel bearing modification that I do. Otherwise the wheels eat themselves. Since its the static chassis I assume you can use tamiya tranys but those are very hard to find now so you might want to do the mods for henglong tranys, or if you want, I will sell the ETO trany I had Bob make for me. I have perfected my own install with jigs and such so well that I do not need his tranny now. I prefer to keep all my models the same as I build them. Its nearly one of a kind but it is super nice and robust. Just an offer. And I want to see a build thread as you go with your Gepard.
That's what I did on my first Leopard 1A4 that I'm now going to change to a 1A5 put bearing in the wheels and got the aftermarket arms pre drilled for it to and the aftermarket tranny plate and tranny's .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 07-02-2023, 07:56 AM

What a5 turret are you using?
I have several of the perfect scale ones and yikes are they very complicated.
The der emma laden and afv model are better but require the leopard 2 turret ring gear set up modification to the hull. They also dont have a5 parts.

I will have A5 turret accessories left over as two of my builds are early variants and not using the a5 parts kit
Old 07-02-2023, 06:06 PM

What a5 turret are you using?
I have several of the perfect scale ones and yikes are they very complicated.
The der emma laden and afv model are better but require the leopard 2 turret ring gear set up modification to the hull. They also dont have a5 parts.

I will have A5 turret accessories left over as two of my builds are early variants and not using the a5 parts kit
I got the perfect scale one a couple years ago but am thinking of ether 3D printing one or one of the lighter versions Ludwig has a nice looking one and the one on AFV- Model looks nice seen one some other place but don't remember were .
Here is one I started printing last year .
Thanks
Jimmy

Last edited by bowlman; 07-02-2023 at 06:21 PM.