Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

Ace 4-120 engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace 4-120 engine

Hi Laurenne- I have an Ace 4-120 that weighs around 15 pounds and I put a RCV 90 SP in it. I have an APC 18-14 prop on it now and have tried a few other props also. It flies, but it definitely needs more speed and power to fly well. I should have known better than to put a 90 in a 120 plane, I suppose, but I had the engine (I bought it from you in Chicago) and it seemed to fit on the front of the plane so nice I just had to try it. Will a 120 fasten with the same bolt pattern and how much longer is it than the 90?. I made a nice cowl to fit this engine and it would be a shame to have to butcher it up. It would have been a little smarter to try flying it first, I know!
How much bigger prop does the 120 spin and how much more "zip" would I get out of it?
Have you considered making a bigger version of the CD type engine - like around 120 - 150 size? Will you be in Chicago in Oct. 06? How about throwing a few engines in a suitcase and coming to the the Toledo show in April?
Jim in Wisconsin
Old 01-04-2006, 09:29 AM

Default RE: Ace 4-120 engine

Hi Jim

Yes 15lbs is a bit much for the 90SP if you want speed. A 16x13 prop will give you more rpms and may improve the speed though.
Alternatively the 120SP is slightly more powerful (a couple of hundred rpm on similar size props) than the 90SP so may be a better choice. This is only 5.4mm longer to the prop driver than the 90SP, but does have a different bolt pattern. You can view these on the following link [link=http://www.rcvengines.com/sp_series_dimensions.htm]http://www.rcvengines.com/sp_series_dimensions.htm[/link]

We are in the process of developing a 120CD engine, however this is only on the drawing board at the moment.
You will be pleased to know that we are exhibiting in Chicago in October 06. Our engines should also be on sale at the Toledo show through Kondor models, however I am not sure if I will be on the stand or not yet.

Anyway, I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further queries

Best regards
Laurenne

Old 01-04-2006, 10:16 PM

Thanks Laurenne - that 120 cd would be a good seller, I think. I hope you decide to come to Chicago, I've been looking forward to it since '04. It just wouldn't be the same without you. How about the Toledo show in April? Load up a bunch of engines and hop on a plane!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:11 AM

No problem.

We'll look forward to seeing you in Chicago (if not in Toledo)

Best regards
Laurenne