Community
Search
Notices
RCV Engines Support Ask RCV Technical Support all your RCV engine questions!

120SP loud metallic sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120SP loud metallic sound

A friend of mine has a RCV 120SP that he bought secondhand. He was told that the engine had low run time and it looked very good. But as soon as we started the engine it run very rough, it was a very loud metallic sound. We did a few test runs because we didn't know if it was supposed to sound like this. After a few tests you could feel that the motor was not running smooth, when the prop was turned by hand it didn't feel right. The motor was taken apart and there was a lot of small metall peaces. The bearing that is closest to where you put the starter(don't know what it's called) was missing some peaces and needed to be replaced. All bearings was changed, the other parts looked ok. But when we started the motor again the metallic sound was still there. Is there a simple way to get all the parts lined up correctly in the engine, because we suspect that the loud metallic sound is from the gears. They are probbably not lined up correctly against each other. Or does it need to be sent in for adjustment¿
Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks
Mikael
Old 07-15-2009, 05:40 AM

Default RE: 120SP loud metallic sound

Hello Mikael

I suggest you email the RCV model engine licencees - WestonUk - they will be able to advise you on your best course of action. It seems that you may not have set the engine up correctly with gear clearances etc., when you did the bearing replacement. Weston have an excellent service and repair capability so you may wish to get them to look at it for you.

Their email address is: [email protected]

Eric
RCV Engines Ltd
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Default RE: 120SP loud metallic sound

Hello Eric

Thank you for the quick response.
I think the problem is solved, we used some loctite on (i think it's called) the Key. After that the metallic noice was much lower. A new one is allready delivered from westonuk.

Thank you
Mikael