Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Replacement for Downspout and U channel >

Replacement for Downspout and U channel

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Replacement for Downspout and U channel

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Replacement for Downspout and U channel

The RC Combat guy at Toledo mentioned that they are using a tube made for electrical fences instead of the U tube for the SPADS. It happened to be on sale for $6 for a 4 ft piece so I picked one up. 10.3 oz. and measures 1.480" X 1.05" It seems a bit lighter than the light downspout, and quite strong. Just thought I would mention it on the three forums in case someone is interested, or needs something smaller than the downspout. It is black, and called Poly Splicer Multi Groove on the receipt at TSC.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't find what you're talking about. Have a link?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:51 AM

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...r?cm_vc=-10005 Wow, we get burnt here. List price is $9.59.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...r?cm_vc=-10005 Wow, we get burnt here. List price is $9.59.
Rather than use downspout, i prefer to fabricate a fuse out of Coro, as several SPADS are. IMHO it results in a better looking and more functional fuse Costs less and can be color matched using the same or different colors of Coro as used for wings and tail eathers.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 PM

The coro fuse would look nicer for sure. This stuff looks pretty tough, and the servos can fit inside nicely, for a combat type plane.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

How many you want? Amazon
Old 11-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aspeed
The RC Combat guy at Toledo mentioned that they are using a tube made for electrical fences instead of the U tube for the SPADS. It happened to be on sale for $6 for a 4 ft piece so I picked one up. 10.3 oz. and measures 1.480" X 1.05" It seems a bit lighter than the light downspout, and quite strong. Just thought I would mention it on the three forums in case someone is interested, or needs something smaller than the downspout. It is black, and called Poly Splicer Multi Groove on the receipt at TSC.
Aspeed, have you used this for any planes? It sounds interesting.
Thanks
John 15CV-A,
Old 11-09-2017, 06:17 AM

I haven't used it yet. It is a bit hard to place a tank, and I really don't need any more planes in the basement. I did come across someone making a combat kit that used it. It is the Phencepost. http://www.fayettevillercclub.com/id73.html

Last edited by aspeed; 11-09-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:17 PM

I did see that before. I emailed Hat Trick RC but got no response. I also emailed the Fayettville club to see if Mike Fredricks was still making kits but no response from them either.
I'm going to pick up a couple pieces of it anyways to check it out. Maybe I'll use some on my next build.

Thanks
John
Old 11-09-2017, 05:13 PM

I guess combat has lost it's popularity lately. They still do it at the Nats. I know locally here at Cobble Hills, they used to go all winter every Sunday, but it has slowed down. Maybe the guys are getting old or cold. They did WW1 and WW2 12th scale mostly. You don't really need a kit, just cut a few wings and guess the tail. The rubber band strengtheners look like plastic drywall outside corners.

Last edited by aspeed; 11-09-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:54 PM

You're right. I plan on driving 3-4 hours to go to some next season. I live near Chicago and I have to go to Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio and Iowa. I'll be checking the AMA events and the RC newsgroups for for more. There's none around me. I hope it picks up here in Illinois.