Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hart
Dave nice shot of the fa82 but,the books in the background are out of focus...unforgivable!...ever see gary or myself get that wrong?
Pete, my eyes are getting older, does that red book say "Playboy Fun"

LOL sorry Dave, I just had to josh you on that one LOL

yes Pete, I agree, you should never admit your midget is small, but I guess it don't matter if you happen to have a big Saito.

Jim
when I was 7 y.o. my mother told me chickens bite, it's true
Old 07-28-2018, 10:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Well now that explained the look in your eyes when I fired up that 72!
well
Old 07-28-2018, 03:00 PM
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep that red book is a VHS tape called Nobody's Fool starring Paul Newman and Jessica Tandy and others. It's one of my Fave's.

Too much work at my house and not enough play, yesterday I cut 14 24" logs to haul home and split, 28 ' all together. About 10' to go. I nearly ended up in the hospital with heat exhaustion, muscles cramped up hard, temperature went to 102. the diameter went from 22" to 28" and very heavy. Real oak. I haven't unloaded them yet.So, Saito play is at a stand still.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:33 PM

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Bummer, Cutting wood? That work is for rotten weather!The bars are ready and the chains are ground but woodcutting can wait for fall.
Luckily, the wife does quite a bit of the firewood cutting around here. Her grandmother taught her well. Those old school Norwegian gals from the Upper Peninsula are pretty handy to have around.
Glad my dad talked me in to marrying her instead of that skinny little blond.

We did manage to put about 2 1/2 gallons through the Saito .82 last week. All of that was done after work.
That old buzzard never missed a lick!

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-29-2018 at 03:12 AM. Reason: shortened,
Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when she was new

saito fa115 and mas 15x8 prop

Originally Posted by the Wasp
Pete, my eyes are getting older, does that red book say "Playboy Fun"

LOL sorry Dave, I just had to josh you on that one LOL

yes Pete, I agree, you should never admit your midget is small, but I guess it don't matter if you happen to have a big Saito.

Jim
when I was 7 y.o. my mother told me chickens bite, it's true

Jim i remember playboy from younger days,they called it a 'lifestyle' magazine,but i never read anywhere where hugh got dressed up in his lumberjack gear and fired the chainsaw up.Here's a dusty old pic of my midget mustang which is well overdue for a complete birthday.I've got three more of these midgets still boxed,they are a buzz to fly.

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 07-28-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:40 PM

Hows that for keeping your firewood dry?

Dave maybe gary has a point.The english have a saying 'mad dogs out in the midday sun'... i'd be sitting out on the back verandah sippin an ice cold beer and maybe whittlin a wooden prop for fun.Over here we use jarrah,tuart and mallee mostly for firewood.It's a shame to burn our jarrah which is a straight grained native red hardwood will post a pic.In days gone by i'd keep an eye out while riding my motocross bike through the hills for power pole crews replacing the old wooden jarrah poles with new ones,then i'd come back before they could and borrow one.With a sharp axe you can shave paper thin sheets off the seasoned short jarrah logs for kindling too.

Gary a motorcycle riding mate has a wife who single handedly dug the hole for their new swimming pool in the back yard,i was always real polite to her.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:34 AM

This oak needs a few weeks to cure, the tree only fell about 6 weeks ago. My son is going to help me finish it up tomorrow. There is about 12 feet left, so 6 more pieces and the last will about 30" in diameter.

I gave the .82-B an autopsy yesterday PM, the ring was castored in it's groove, no biggy, it turns as smooth as silk. Bearings are good and smooth, gaskets all good. I made a velocity stack for it. I have a Xoar 14x6 laying beside it ready to mount,.

PS, Mike, did the J-Tec arrive yet, Thanks

Last edited by Hobbsy; 07-29-2018 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 07-29-2018, 03:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
This oak needs a few weeks to cure, the tree only fell about 6 weeks ago. My son is going to help me finish it up tomorrow. There is about 12 feet left, so 6 more pieces and the last will about 30" in diameter.

I gave the .82-B an autopsy yesterday PM, the ring was castored in it's groove, no biggy, it turns as smooth as silk. Bearings are good and smooth, gaskets all good. I made a velocity stack for it. I have a Xoar 14x6 laying beside it ready to mount,.

PS, Mike, did the J-Tec arrive yet, Thanks
Dave
yes the J tec arrived fine thanks.
My concern is your health be careful with that heat exhaustion stuff I suffered two bouts of that myself. Wound up in the hospital the second time and took 6 months for me to get back up to 1/2 speed. Now i’m not the same as i was. Not trying to preach, just be careful drink lots of water and a gatorade once in a while that wood can wait tell tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Back when she was new

saito fa115 and mas 15x8 prop

Jim i remember playboy from younger days,they called it a 'lifestyle' magazine,but i never read anywhere where hugh got dressed up in his lumberjack gear and fired the chainsaw up.Here's a dusty old pic of my midget mustang which is well overdue for a complete birthday.I've got three more of these midgets still boxed,they are a buzz to fly.
If you like flying it so much, why does it look like it was stored in a wood shed next to a window?
Old 07-29-2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44

Dave
yes the J tec arrived fine thanks.
My concern is your health be careful with that heat exhaustion stuff I suffered two bouts of that myself. Wound up in the hospital the second time and took 6 months for me to get back up to 1/2 speed. Now i’m not the same as i was. Not trying to preach, just be careful drink lots of water and a gatorade once in a while that wood can wait tell tomorrow.
My wife does a great job on that small stuff.

The part about taking in liquid is very important though.
I always bring along a six pack. Watching that girl at work always makes me thirsty.

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-29-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:32 PM

Pete, my brother used to received playboy threw the mail, he actually told me once that he "read's the articles" LOL LOL

Jim
go ahead and jump if you think you must, but don't be thinking your the first to do it
Old 07-29-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
If you like flying it so much, why does it look like it was stored in a wood shed next to a window?
yeeaa Pete, sham sham sham, if your not going to fly it send me the 115

Jim
when I told my son my chicken story (above) he smiled

Last edited by the Wasp; 07-29-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:10 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

The heat gun is excellent for heat shrink tubing. I never thought about servo leads, but there are places that would really help. Good idea there. It's good to insulate spots where wiring goes thru formers, etc. I've had mixed results with holding wheels on landing gears. Glow fuel can mess that up, but a drop of epoxy on the end allows it to make a good wheel retainer.

Pete/Rudolf- that BSA crankcase sure brought back memories of my 250cc. It was an BSA rebadged as an Allstate to sell over here. My dad put it in front of a go kart for us to drive. Yes, it worked really well too. We had carb problems with the float position.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jesse Open

My wife does a great job on that small stuff.

The part about taking in liquid is very important though.
I always bring along a six pack. Watching that girl at work always makes me thirsty.
Be careful gary...with an attitude like that to women you are in danger of becoming an honourary aussie...true blue mate!!...i also advised bruce to cut the roof off his f150 and get some breeze through his hair,so he can kinda half feel like a motorcyclist.

Bruce! close but no cigar.We don't have what you call real dirt over here,mostly we got sand and very little rainfall so the whole state is dusty.True,putting the midget under my test bench while running engines is not one of my better ideas,but it's a tough plane.Which reminds me.Did you take my advice and upgrade that 9mm semi auto rabbit shootin pistol to something more respectable like a 40 cal s&w?

Your not getting the fa115 jim,i've cleaned the plane up and it's safely stored in a spare room now see pic
Old 07-29-2018, 09:53 PM

The old days on the cheap,thrilled to your boots too!!

Thank gawd these things were not available when i was a young teenager

Barry if i remember right your dad owned a motorcycle shop or worked in one? or was it that he rode a kawasaki mach 111,not sure.Most people i knew built their go karts with lawn mower engines it was all you could manage back in the no money low tech days.If you wanted real performance back then you did something crazy,pic above.Nowadays you can build go karts like this one,look up yamaha r1 powered go kart on you tube.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:38 AM

Pete, I wrote our friend at New Zealand Aero Products a letter, I haven't heard back from him, I assume it will take a while to get there. I have the kit, Piper Pawnee, AKA Piper PA 36-375 I'm not sure I like the foam wings, installing the wing spars is going to be a real bear.

The Piper Pawnee was powered by an eight cylinder opposed Lycoming 722 cubic inch engine rated at 375 hp, later to be 400 and 435 hp with fuel injection.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 08-02-2018 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 PM

Turbine power

Early version of the nz fletcher,no where near as ugly as the ag wagon i had a ride in the back of one once.Weird flying when you can only see what's been passed already.Felt like a tail gunner.

Noice

I hope you sent the letter by registered mail to make sure you know he got it.Foam sheet wings are usually straight forward why do you think the wing spars may be tricky,do you have a pic?
I like the look of pawnees and spent a lot of time in sailplanes being towed by the club 180hp pawnee and various tiger moths,austers and chipmunks.I was flying as a guest at another club and they had a 260hp pawnee which is quite a bit of giddyup for sailplane towing but that's the most powerful version i've come across over here.For AG duties new zealand designed and built the fu24 fletcher with lycoming flat four/six/eight and then turbine variants,the payloads just went up and up.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:08 AM

The entire kit.

Part of 20 large 24"length pieces

My work for the next few days, I found one tick on my knee yesterday, he had not dug in yet, lucky for me.
Here is the kit:
Old 08-03-2018, 06:36 AM

The small stuff.
A days work for my Norwegien Princess. And she would still have dinner ready on time.

She rides motorcycles too!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 PM

Gary your princess is named Helga?
Dave you don't have plans for that kit?

Gary you are now a fully fledged honourary aussie
Old 08-04-2018, 02:02 AM

No sir, this guy in NZ is supposed to have them, I need some kind of a guide, I'm still looking.

http://eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/pawnee.htm
Old 08-04-2018, 06:28 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

[QUOTE=Rudolph Hart

Barry if i remember right your dad owned a motorcycle shop or worked in one? or was it that he rode a kawasaki mach 111,not sure.Most people i knew built their go karts with lawn mower engines it was all you could manage back in the no money low tech days.If you wanted real performance back then you did something crazy,pic above.Nowadays you can build go karts like this one,look up yamaha r1 powered go kart on you tube.[/QUOTE]

Hi Pete- he had a Triumph Bonneville when I was a kid. Took it to Bike Week at Daytona Beach around that time. His next bike was the 3 Mach IIIi's. They had all been in accidents and he took pieces and made a perfect new bike. I actually didn't know about all the wrecked bikes for a while and thought he had bought it new. Later, he bought the race version with expansion chamber pipes and wheelie bar. He built that go kart in the 1950's, so nobody was really doing anything like that back then. He worked as a tech inspector/mechanic at Delta and a lot of that go kart came from Delta Air Lines, or was machined at work. It had a chain driven shaft behind the little bucket seat shell to both rear wheels. The gas was a hand brake type on the butterfly steering wheel, and normal clutch and brake pedals. I don't remember how we cranked it. He isn't around now to ask about that. I never cranked it myself as I was about 12-13 y/o. (you sure do have a good memory and glad you brought that up today)
Old 08-04-2018, 05:19 PM

On these foam wings I'm sheeting, I am cheating on the leading edges.

Balsa Conventional and Symmetrical Leading Edges, Trailing Edges, & Ailerons -- Specialized Balsa Wood, LLC
Old 08-04-2018, 07:24 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 281 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I may need to stop sanding and order from those guys!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fletcher

Looked up the Fletcher. Polyhedral! Not the prettiest bird but it grows onya! Good job, looks like!

CR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.