Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
 Do I really need a optikill switch? >

Do I really need a optikill switch?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Do I really need a optikill switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 AM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do I really need a optikill switch?

the one thing I always forget in posting is that you can get 10 different opinions each time you ask a question or want advice.some of it is great and alot of it just that someones own opinion and you just thank them and make up your own mind lol.but I will always ask anyway cause I sure dont have all the answers..
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to have a lot of fun with this subject. It's interesting to see the ratio of people that are terrified of any and everything versus those that take the time to learn their craft and perform accordingly. For some nothing can ever be safe enough while for others a level of risk is acceptable. Kind of like helmets for bicyclists, skaters, skiers, surfers, and motorcycle riders. If they fall a helmet can be useful, but that same helmet can also assure the event is fatal. In some cases that helmet could have been the predominant cause of the event due to sight and sound restrictions, and altering a sense of balance.

One thing is certain, those obtaining the greatest benefit from many safety regulations are the people that make the safety products and those that write laws requiring them. There in no possible way to make anything with a spinning propeller or a flying object with any mass moving at speed safe. That cannot be done. An 8 pound plane moving at 60 mph, even without a propeller, can easily be fatal when striking someone. I've seen a .40 sized trainer go through the roof of a warehouse, completely penetrating the roof structure. Racers have had their engines separate from the airframe, pass through a chain link fence, and kill someone inside the protected area. Engines have separated from an airframe during a crash, bounced over K-rail, and broken a bystanders leg.

This hobby has a level of assumed risk to both participate and observe. It behooves all to learn the correct way to install and set up components, and execute flight in a reasonable and safe manner. Unfortunately the advent of 3d has made many forget much about safe flying practices. BTW, I am a 3d flyer but do not believe in close in and low operations. No matter how good you are, when something happens, and it eventually will, the closer to people the plane is the greater the risk of disaster. Then again, a great many war bird flyers and beginners have similar issues. Some of thiose should never be permitted to taxi a model, and be restricted to starting their modles at the edge of the runway, pointed away from the rest of the people present.

Saftey is related more to the individual and less to the various widgets. If the individual does things right, from set up to flying, a lot of widgets become uneccessary. One cannot overcome inability, inexperience, and/or poor judgement with a widget. No matter how hard we try, or what is invented, we have yet to find a way to refute Darwin.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Was just at a fly-in yesterday and the guy next to me started engine up checked servo operation, and then engine started cutting in and out,finally loosing all radio contact. Last year i had a 42% products opto-kill on my extreme flight yak. started plane with restraint attached,throttled up and down a few times and all of the sudden throttle went wot. shut plane off started engine again throttled up and down a few times and it did it again, lost all radio contact and plane went to wot. Glad plane was on the ground and not in the air... Yanked out the Opto-kill and everything went back to normal. I tore all 4 opto kills i had in my planes and threw them in the trash. To each there own, but ill just stick with a choke servo and throttle cut.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ameyam

I asked others and was told that the RCExcl ones were a bit unpredicatble. Someone suggested to use this one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXCJD6&P=7

If I need one for the sake of safety, this one would be better as then I would get all my requirements from Tower.

I am still not clear on the JXF v/s Xoar issue though

Ameyam

On the JXF and XOAR issue. They are the same propeller. Ihave not heard of these copies but I am by no means a definative authority. All I know is what the local distributors tell me. They buy the props from a distributor in China. SOmetimes they get XOAR branded props, other times they get JXF. They cost the same, they perform similarly and both are significantly better than MAS, ZInger and Volk.
This is what I have been told and it is clearly in conflict with what others are saying but to me it makes more sense because if you hold a XOARand JXF in your hand they are identical in every way except branding. Copies of the JXF are not branded JXF. The copies are also significantly different in having a thicker aerofoil section and are noticably stiffer.
I don't profess to know the JXFsupply chain and marketing strategies and other brands used for their propellers.

You also cannot use a plastic prop on a DLE 30 if the prop hub is not large enough in diameter to allow it to be safely drilled to accomodate the 4 bolts that holds the prop to the prop shaft. Safe drilling means that you are able to have 4 compete holes with at least 2mm of material between the outside of the hub and the bolt holes.

As for Opto Kill vs servo set up.
I have my throttle linakage set up so that I can kill the engine by closing the butterfly valve as well. This is not my prefered method of engine shutdown because if the linkage is not setup 100% correct it will force the butterfly valve into the throttle body creating wear that is not needed. It shortens the life of the carb blah blah blah creating leaks and other problems that I'd prefer to avoid.
Of course anyone is welcome to use whatever method they deem necessary but I prefer to kill the engine by shutting down the spark rather than the fuel. Model TFords shut off the fuel, modern engines have their ignition shut off. There are safety as well as longevity advantages.
I also use a manual choke as I don;t see the point in carrying unnecessary weight of an additional servo. Perhapos on a 100cc or bigger aircraft the extra servo is more convenient but for a 20-50cc manuak works just fine.

So there it is, the opto kill is not a short cut. Throttle clsoe is available to me but I prefer not to use it because the way a petrol engine's carb is designed.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM
My Feedback: (22)

safety is important .and I always do my best .as tired old man will say you cant control everything that happens,,but neither can you say just because you cant control all situations you forget about safety completely..the first giant plane I built way way back was a giant stinger with a 3w60.There was no opto anything.I had an 8,00 dubro servo activated switch inside and a toggle switch mounted on the fuse.it worked fine.

this time the small gassers have motivated me to try it again..I suspect I have been overly cautious to a fault but at the same time I have reading listening and learniing about this aspect of the hobby.over 30 years I have seen some of the bad things that can almost kill a person and the pilot was not in tending to be reckless.as the saying goes "sh##$ hapens to good people"...

aand your rightwhen you participate in rc or hobbies such as racing you accept a certain amount of risk..at the sametime you hope everyone participating is mature enough to take prudent and personal resibilty for their actions..I have been a flightline officer numerous times..at pilot meetings I review basic rules .rules of courtesy safety and common sense.your a 3d flyer so you know not to hover in the middle of a busy runway and youknow enoughto let everyone know if your landing or wait u ntil your cleared to land or takeoff .actually had a guy show up with a tubine jet.asked for his certificate and he forgot.alledgedly! when he came around to land it was clear he was going to be too hot and he cartwheeled it tooprevent any real accident.another pilot knew he was out of control and sacrified his plane away from the crowd and pits.

when I fly my first gas plane I want to make sure the control horns the sevos etc are all done correctly and tired man said you learn your craft.I have flown model planes a long time so I want to be as safe as I can for me and everyone on or nearthat field..

I haveheard numerous issues with certain opto kills so I take that into consideration.on the same token a few told me how many battery packs Ineeded etc.redundancy up the yinyang.there is just so much you can do period .it can get ridiculous .
Old 08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Well, when you know everything that T.O.M. knows then maybe you will not need an opti-kill switch, until then, I think that it is a great safety feature. I use smart-fly, never been a problem. There is no way it could cause throttle flutter because it does not transmit radio waves. I do not see how the kill switch could cause WOT... the switch is not even connected to throttle in any way.

I have had to contend with a run away plane before, and sure you can fly it until it runs out of gas, but why not just use the switch? People fought seat belts for years, now you practically cannot drive without the car nagging you to death.

I have 1.) a choke servo, 2.) an ignition switch, 3.) the opti-kill switch, and 4.) the transmitter kill feature active. Some people drove a Chevy Vega, I refused to ride in one.... YOUR CHOICE.

One thing in your favor when something happens is that you can point to all the safety features and know you have done everything in your power to prevent a problem.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, like I tell folks that ask about this board, I tell them "At least there aren't any hard set opinions over there".

Hee hee
Old 08-14-2011, 03:16 PM
My Feedback: (7)

LOL!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Well, when you know everything that T.O.M. knows then maybe you will not need an opti-kill switch,
This is the reason I suggest to people to use Optikills.
I would be more than happy to be around any plane that has been built or checked by T.O.M. and approved by him as ok to fly no matter what radio, engine brand or Safety features are fitted or not fitted. The reason for this is because I know he has seen (sometimes first hand, other time as a 3rd party) a lot of what makes things work reliably for us in this hobby.

There are many small things that can catch us out in this hobby, Throttle servo failures (often caused by the use of an inadequate servo), Linkage failures (often caused by poor practices or inadequate items) and radio interference / Loss of signal (often caused by poor installation practices or inadequate equipment installation). For the "newbies" (some of whom are not all that new but refuse to listen to sound advice) the use of an optikill helps the rest of us feel safe.

As mentioned by many before. They are not needed if you follow the right installation etc. If you are unsure, use one. If the politics of the field where you are flying are such that it is simply easier to have one installed (I have never seen them actually mandated anywhere but plenty of fields have it rumored that they are mandated) - then use one.

When I use them, I only use the Smartfly ones (or I use the Ultra RC IBEC as one if I am using one of those devices) as I have never seen those with a problem - a little higher in purchase price but well worth it.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

There are many small things that can catch us out in this hobby, Throttle servo failures (often caused by the use of an inadequate servo), Linkage failures (often caused by poor practices or inadequate items) and radio interference / Loss of signal (often caused by poor installation practices or inadequate equipment installation). For the ''newbies'' (some of whom are not all that new but refuse to listen to sound advice) the use of an optikill helps the rest of us feel safe.

As mentioned by many before. They are not needed if you follow the right installation etc. If you are unsure, use one.
Very well said. That pretty much gets the core of the issue.

If ALL gas fliers setup their models to perfection and never had any
mechanical failures, then I'd join the limited chorus against ign kills.

But most are far from that lofty status, and the quick flip of your ign kill switch
on your tx killing the ign right now, is a most satisfying feeling when the need arises.

I've seen plenty of models runaway in the pits, linkages fall off/fail in flight, and
those who have no means of killing a gasser except the on/off switch on the side of
their model. THOSE are the scary ones!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T O M. nothing like a old man to sum things up and let the chips lie, other than another old man who appriciates the comment.
From A T O M Ohhh Ilike that signoff. It's mine. (Another Tired Old Man), thats me, espically after this last week with the grand kids from hell and the Daughter that I wonder who raised her.

Don
Old 08-14-2011, 10:06 PM

Watched a newb turn of his TX as approching stand in pits yesterday,good thing the wing caught the stand and spun it into prop/stand leg.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 AM

Others can make all the fun of safety equipment they want... attorneys can call that evidence.

I fly top notch equipment with the best radios and have opti-kill switches on my gassers. It is all part of recognizing that this hobby can be dangerous and doing my part to reduce some of the risk. It starts with a proper attitude about safety and doing what you can to prevent problems.

Each individual can make up their own mind when to much is too much. $50 to eliminate a problem that I have had in the past is chump change. You can still have fun.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Others can make all the fun of safety equipment they want... attorneys can call that evidence.
I don't thik anyone is making fun of safety equipment.
I think the argument being made is simply the one that with a properly set up quality engine and a confident and knowledgeable operator, you don't "need" the Opto-Kill switch because you already have several alternatives to kill your engine.
Another school of thought is also that the more components you stack up in a circuit, the more potential points of failure you have and therefore risk of problems or human errors.
There is a lot of merit to the K.I.S.S. principle
Old 08-15-2011, 11:18 AM

I have flown and work with some pretty high end stuff. Far more advanced than about 99.7% of the people in the entire RCU population. However, one item that has been consistent is that when everything else fails, meaning multiple layers of redundancy and some pretty fancy systems, the basics always seem to work when you need to pull things out of the fire. The extra layers are nice, but they are generally the first items to fail.

One can buy the best of the best and the highest end stuff they can find. In the end they just have a more expensive pile of trash at their feet after the crash All that talk about attorneys is silly. If you intended to be as safe as possible you would not have flown anything at all. The entire hobby is an option, not a life requirement, so you'll get stuck with anything that happens no matter what. My kid's an attorney.....

ATOM:

I hear ya about the grandkids. I have a daughter in the delivery room at the moment about to bless me with grandchildren #5 and #6. Twins, boy and a girl, and I'm just waiting the last few hours for their arrival.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

I've got a few hundred flights on RCXcel and 42percent opto kills w/o any issues, Smart Fly is good stuff as well.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 PM

TOM,
Sincerest best wishes on your new arrival[8D]
Our first grandchild, Mikey arrived just 3 months ago, so I guess that also makes me an ATOM.
Pete
Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 PM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

I like to have a lot of fun with this subject. It's interesting to see the ratio of people that are terrified of any and everything versus those that take the time to learn their craft and perform accordingly. For some nothing can ever be safe enough while for others a level of risk is acceptable. Kind of like helmets for bicyclists, skaters, skiers, surfers, and motorcycle riders. If they fall a helmet can be useful, but that same helmet can also assure the event is fatal. In some cases that helmet could have been the predominant cause of the event due to sight and sound restrictions, and altering a sense of balance.

One thing is certain, those obtaining the greatest benefit from many safety regulations are the people that make the safety products and those that write laws requiring them. There in no possible way to make anything with a spinning propeller or a flying object with any mass moving at speed safe. That cannot be done. An 8 pound plane moving at 60 mph, even without a propeller, can easily be fatal when striking someone. I've seen a .40 sized trainer go through the roof of a warehouse, completely penetrating the roof structure. Racers have had their engines separate from the airframe, pass through a chain link fence, and kill someone inside the protected area. Engines have separated from an airframe during a crash, bounced over K-rail, and broken a bystanders leg.

This hobby has a level of assumed risk to both participate and observe. It behooves all to learn the correct way to install and set up components, and execute flight in a reasonable and safe manner. Unfortunately the advent of 3d has made many forget much about safe flying practices. BTW, I am a 3d flyer but do not believe in close in and low operations. No matter how good you are, when something happens, and it eventually will, the closer to people the plane is the greater the risk of disaster. Then again, a great many war bird flyers and beginners have similar issues. Some of thiose should never be permitted to taxi a model, and be restricted to starting their modles at the edge of the runway, pointed away from the rest of the people present.

Saftey is related more to the individual and less to the various widgets. If the individual does things right, from set up to flying, a lot of widgets become uneccessary. One cannot overcome inability, inexperience, and/or poor judgement with a widget. No matter how hard we try, or what is invented, we have yet to find a way to refute Darwin.
TOM, that's one of the best replies you've put out there yet! Maybe that anticipation of a new grandchild has you in a happy mood lol. Congratulations on that wonderful event!

The best, and worst, thing about these forums, is that you get plenty of opinions. Sorting through them and determining what you need is another thing...and you know what they say about opinions. FWIW, I have a 42% Optikill on my DLE55, and like it, though I only use it about half the time. The other half, I use a switch set up on the tx for a low-throttle kill using the throttle servo. Wish I'd been smart enough to properly set up my failsafe positions a year ago: when I ran my rx batteries too low and lost my first Reactor. A failsafe setting to activate my Optikill, as well as neutral control surfaces, might have at least prevented the total destruction I experienced. I always learn the hard way, but today learned something new: gonna set up my Optikill on the failsafe!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:10 PM

That was a good thing to learn. The ignition kill, if one is used, should be imcorporated into the radio's failsafe system. When correctly set up, a radio failsafe by itself is an effective engine kill if link to the transmitter is lost. The first requirement in setting up a failsafe is to correctly install and set up all the aircraft electrical and mechanical components. The second is, of course, to read the radio instructions and learn how the failsafe features function.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: apalsson

I think the argument being made is simply the one that with a properly set up quality engine and a confident and knowledgeable operator, you don't ''need'' the Opto-Kill switch because you already have several alternatives to kill your engine.
The failing issues with that theory is that far, far, too few setup their gassers to such perfection. Plus, it relies heavily on users never having physical failures of their mechanical linkages. Linkages aren't assembled correctly, poor quality components, weak/junk servos, firewall failures, and on and on, all are potential means of failure.

Another school of thought is also that the more components you stack up in a circuit, the more potential points of failure you have and therefore risk of problems or human errors.
There is a lot of merit to the K.I.S.S. principle
I see it more as having fewer failure points, when compared to the mechanical side of this issue.
Ign kills aren't needed overall, until YOU need it and really wish you had one.

In some wishfull fantasy world maybe fliers will ALL practice doing everything to perfection and none of this would be an issue. But, we're not there yet. Until such a day ever arrives, I'll advocate the use of ign kills.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

The failing issues with that theory is that far, far, too few setup their gassers to such perfection. Plus, it relies heavily on users never having physical failures of their mechanical linkages. Linkages aren't assembled correctly, poor quality components, weak/junk servos, firewall failures, and on and on, all are potential means of failure.
Those individuals should not be participating in the hobby regardless of the equipment used. They will always be a danger to themselves and others if they only flew small electrics. Back to my earlier point that the hobby, or anything else, cannot be made "safe". Yet we promote the concept that more equipment is better because it will compensate for ignorance. There is an inherent and massive failing in that outlook.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Those individuals should not be participating in the hobby regardless of the equipment used. They will always be a danger to themselves and others if they only flew small electrics.
Trouble is, those people ARE participating in our hobby, and no amount of ranting against ign kills will sway them to your hopefull ways of perfect operations. Just isn't happening. There's as many potential failure points with the mechanical viewpoint as there are against the electronic viewpoint of eng kill setups.

Your turn.[8D]
Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I design electronic controls for a living (30+ years) so perhaps I have a viewpoint to share. I will never depend on an all electronic safety solution. I will always use both. I have seen too many solid state devices fail.
John
Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Unbelieveable
Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM

John,

I use both as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.