Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Kerosene from Ground Tanks >

Kerosene from Ground Tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kerosene from Ground Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kerosene from Ground Tanks

First of all Turbines will run on kero, white spirit, diesel, cooking oil !! you cant really have bad kero only snag will be how clean and free from water it is, 30year old kero filtered through a MR Funnel will run fine.

Buy your kero where you can get it the cheapest, after you buy it, filter it through a Mr Funnel into another container and add the oil. Then filter the mixed fuel again through the Mr Funnel each time you fill up your Fuelling station.

You should also have a filter in your fuelling station line, and we also fit one now on board the aircraft in the fill line before the tank.

If you follow this you wont have any problems as the Mr.Funnel WILL remove all contaminates and any water from any fuel bought anywhere. as you Americans say PERIOD!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 AM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: tucson

You Guys are lucky that you have that option. Living in AZ there is no Kero sold at Gas Stations. About the only place we can buy Kero is at ACE or any of the large hardware stores. Very expensive. Not much avaliable in the summer for obvious reasons.

I have been using JetA when I can get some.

Stan
Stan,
We have a station here in Phoenix called supreme oil co. They sell fuel wholesale and retail and have kero. All of us jet guys go there with 5 gal cans and fuel up. Maybe you can find a place like this in tucson or even make a run up here with a bunch of cans, it would be worth it. The kero is 1/2 the cost of the Ace hardware stuff.
There is a variety of scenarios where kero can be contaminated either at the station or from the wholesale level. I would prefer above ground if i had the choice.The most consistent fuel is going to be the stuff at ace, home depot etc. I have been buying kero at the place stated in this post with zero problems, i believe they have an above ground tank farm there. I do not use any special filtering, just an automotive fram filter on my fuel can. Find a good reliable source and stay with that same station.
Vin...
Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Vincent

ORIGINAL: tucson

You Guys are lucky that you have that option. Living in AZ there is no Kero sold at Gas Stations. About the only place we can buy Kero is at ACE or any of the large hardware stores. Very expensive. Not much avaliable in the summer for obvious reasons.

I have been using JetA when I can get some.

Stan
Stan,
We have a station here in Phoenix called supreme oil co. They sell fuel wholesale and retail and have kero. All of us jet guys go there with 5 gal cans and fuel up. Maybe you can find a place like this in tucson or even make a run up here with a bunch of cans, it would be worth it. The kero is 1/2 the cost of the Ace hardware stuff.
There is a variety of scenarios where kero can be contaminated either at the station or from the wholesale level. I would prefer above ground if i had the choice.The most consistent fuel is going to be the stuff at ace, home depot etc. I have been buying kero at the place stated in this post with zero problems, i believe they have an above ground tank farm there. I do not use any special filtering, just an automotive fram filter on my fuel can. Find a good reliable source and stay with that same station.
Vin...
Thanks Vin,

I did hear about that one. They have a place in Tucson but do not sell by the gallon. Only in Phoenix.

We have a Son and grandchildren that have just moved to Phoenix, my Wife informs me that we will be making grandchildren runs. I have my Empty 5 gallon cans ready to go

Stan
Old 08-29-2011, 05:23 AM
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: KXH121

Thanks Tim,
I found the same links online, still looking for a local purchase place such as Walmart, Target or ????

If I have to I will order one online later this week. Thanks

v/r
Ken
Ken,

Try the Boating/Marine Supply stores in your area.

Joe
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 AM
My Feedback: (65)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this dealer locator: http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Dealer_Locator.html

Got mine from a local Harbor Freight store but they don't show them on their website anymore...
Old 08-29-2011, 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeffpro

> I'd hate to lose a jet over it, but the $9 a gallon they get at Home Depot is outrageous.

I think it's time to try the convenience store, be diligent about filtering, and see how it goes.
9 dollars a gallon.....really??? Your talking about a 5, 8, or maybe 10 thousand dollar aircraft!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:49 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Thanks Joe and RamFlyer,

I ended up buying the 3.2 GPM model online since the closest source seems to be 79 miles away from me. I don't need it right away so I can wait for Ms. UPS or Mrs. USPS to deliver Mr. Funnel.

v/r
Ken
Old 08-29-2011, 04:10 PM
My Feedback: (38)

I get mine on the way to the flying field. Mapco has it 3.99/gal. It is an above ground tank. I've never had an issue but, in some years during the summer months, they stopped selling it. I guess if they run out around June, they're not in a big hurry to restock. I'd say we're the only ones buying kero in the summer around here. I've never used the Mr funnel, but it sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: daisy shoot

ORIGINAL: Jeffpro

> I'd hate to lose a jet over it, but the $9 a gallon they get at Home Depot is outrageous.

I think it's time to try the convenience store, be diligent about filtering, and see how it goes.
9 dollars a gallon.....really??? Your talking about a 5, 8, or maybe 10 thousand dollar aircraft!
We're not talking glow fuel here. I don't suppose you would complain about $9/gal gasoline in your 10 thousand dollar car?