Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 The Giant B-52 Destroyed.. >

The Giant B-52 Destroyed..

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

The Giant B-52 Destroyed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Giant B-52 Destroyed..Video Link

l watched the B52 go in, l was on the IMAC flight line, and we were asked to stop flying,
as the 52 flys over our heads.[ it takes up a lot sky] we watched it take off ,make a slow right turn
right above us to make the down wind leg, when all the motors throttled back, and it fell out of the sky.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:37 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: The Giant B-52 Destroyed..Video Link

ORIGINAL: Firenza

... when all the motors throttled back...

Interesting.

Hate to see this one go in.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:10 PM

Default RE: The Giant B-52 Destroyed..

R there any pictures of it?? I have seen the vid. But I also want to see some pictures!!!!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:15 PM
My Feedback: (11)

I doubt there was anything left to take pics of.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:38 PM

Here is a link with no bandwidth limitations

[link=http://www.undarc.com/Files/600/60039/b52crash.mpeg]B 52 crash[/link]
Old 08-31-2004, 10:46 PM
My Feedback: (29)

OH MY GOODNESS<<<<<<<<<<&l t;<<<<<<<<<<< as it makes the turn and starts its dive I have calculated about 1200 dollars per 10 foot altitude loss, he drop so much money that is the bad part 5 turbines totaled, at about 2-3 thousand apiece, the airframe, supplies, time and labor, etc,etc,.. that is terrible, but hey it is RC flying and whether it is a park flyer or a B52 with eight turbines they crash the same, but I hate it for him,,
Old 09-01-2004, 10:58 AM

its a great shame i know, but with all that dosh flying around, why no onboard telemetry like the globemaster to tell you your airspeed. stalling big models in at shows seems to be a passtime in the UK, maybe the BMFA should come up with a 'C' test for show pilots with large models to assess their competence at flying in windy conditions
Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This was posted in the Jets Forum

by
Tarquill

Hi Guys,
As a crew member for the B-52 display team and co-constructoer of essential systems, it's time to set some rumours to rest. I was stood with Gordon as his helper at the fateful moment. The most important thing is, we are going to rebuild it, so it WILL return!! All of the original contributors have said YES to revive the project, so over the winter months, the "PHEONIX" will rise from the ashes!!!
As far as the flight was concerned, it flew PERFECTLY on two occasions the day before in similar weather conditions. The wind VELOCITY was NOT a factor in it's demise! After studying film footage for several hours, we are now convinced wind shear/turbulance was a major factor and this, coupled with the max bank angle allowed, made recovery impossible at that height. The crash site was quite a distance from the farmhouse and the owner was VERY supportive. His 75 year old mother had driven 30 miles ESPECIALLY to see it fly and he insisted it be rebuilt, so that she could see it again when she was 76!! There was damage to a tree and a stubble field had fire damage, but the Jet-A1 put paid to much of the structure(ie complete incineration)! The wonderful Wren 54's survived however and all but one engine could be spun by hand!! Surely a testament to their utter reliability and quality. Components will be used in the next build.
We have all been touched and humbled by the wishes and thoughts of so many of you guys out there and this has encouraged us to construct the "PHEONIX"!! It goes without saying that any contributions will be gratefully accepted and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you had a small part in the construction of one of the most exciting models ever built.

Regards to you all.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:06 PM

fair comment, i bet we hear a lot about windshear/turbulence in forthcoming autopsy's, especially MY indoor stuff.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:17 PM
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: locoworks

fair comment, i bet we hear a lot about windshear/turbulence in forthcoming autopsy's, especially MY indoor stuff.
haha!!!! That really made me laugh...And you know? You are right...I'm getting some popcorn, cause that will be added to the list of why things go wrong...
Old 09-01-2004, 03:36 PM

I don't feel so good...
Old 09-01-2004, 04:07 PM

nobody wants to say PILOT ERROR, unfortunately , dumb thumbs is most likely the cause of the accident. its amazing how after studying the video for a couple of hours they managed to come up with some technobollox to vindicate the pilot from blame. i bet if they ever do get it off the ground again ( i hope they do, it was an awesome model ) that whoever is flying pays more attention to throttle position and airspeed rather than pointless ground speed.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:19 PM
My Feedback: (11)

im the jet forums, they have the take off video all the way to the crash. In that vidoe, you can hear the plane hit the ground, and the explosion, didnt in the other.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 PM

Hi guys,

Here is one from a different camera and the takeoff is included.

[link=http://www.warrixflyinggroup.co.uk/Video/August%2004/Broadband/b52.wmv]http://www.warrixflyinggroup.co.uk/Video/August%2004/Broadband/b52.wmv[/link]

EDIT:

Oops...................................[] sorry guys I ddidn't see page 2. Oh well there is the link anyway.

Chris
Old 09-02-2004, 04:58 PM
My Feedback: (1)

identical crash to that full size... probably for the same reason.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:22 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Let's hear it for Gordon Nicholls...a big round of applause.....

It sounded funny hearing the announcer knowing what was coming. From the moment I saw the original video, where it didn't crash, I thought it was to slow, turned to steep and flew like crap. Wind shear my *****.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:38 PM
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum
Let's hear it for Gordon Nicholls...a big round of applause.....
It sounded funny hearing the announcer knowing what was coming. From the moment I saw the original video, where it didn't crash, I thought it was to slow, turned to steep and flew like crap. Wind shear my *****.
BasinBomber.
You can not judge an airplanes speed when it's flying alone up there. Try to come out to the field when I'm flying my 3m Extra, you'd say it's flying way slow, but put .40, .60 or 1.20 size planes up with it, and I blow right by them without trying. There was a 1st hand record of the flight, and it said that he heard the throttles go to idle, or go down, just prior to the turn. If that is correct, this thing will lose airspeed in no time and go in as shown on the video. I would like to know if engines really were throttled back, and if so, why??????????
DKjens
Old 09-06-2004, 10:09 PM

Jens,
If you are flying your 3Meter along side .40, .60 and 1.20 size planes you are even crazier than I thought.

I am basing my airspeed assumptions on the way the plane was dipping and not tracking very well in the first video as well. As for the first hand accounts, I have read three and all of them have differant accounts of what happened right down to the number of turbines that survived. From the amount of wind and the distance from the behind the pilot I seriously doubt anyone could clearly hear what the engines where doing.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:05 AM

Wonderful. Spectacular crash. RC at its ugliest. But, now someone else has to try to outdo it.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:11 AM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: LTV_A7D

Osama bin laden has expressed interest in this model.
If he would tell them where he is, I'll bet the US military would be more than happy to send a few full scales his way.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:54 AM

IT would be nice to see a weather report for that area at the time as certain conditions need to be present for wind shear, but looks like from the video it just stalled and fell like a stone. Very similar to the full size crash though. Will get some guys to look at it when I return to UNI who specialize in full size crashes.

Is this going to produce a new set of rules for large scale models, that would have caused some serious damage to that building and life if it did hit. I know it didn't but one day a big model is going to kill someone, so wouildn't it be better to set the rules out now than after someone dies. Afterall it could be one of us at a show next.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:28 PM
My Feedback: (1)

the BMFA rules state you shouldn't be closer than 500' to buildings...
this was a BMFA show...
as is Sandown, at a racecourse within! a town [X(]
do as i say, not as i do.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:59 PM

I thought that when Ali's heli came down this year, if it has been any further into the turn it would have hit the crowd. And they're flying over the guy's playing golf too.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:40 PM

From the initial lift-off you could see the woobling, weaving, uncontrolable (almost) on the upwind. ( this is how bad the wind was)
As the a/c turned downwind the pilot noticed an increase in airspeed that he most likely unfamilure with....With the throttles back...He turned and stalled the wing......This thing doesn't move like a 3D....His wing quit flying...and the throttle was overdue...sorry that my 2cents...
We couldn't do that in the full scale......... Hotrod pilots could not keep a crew or his job...This was my favorite airplane video to play on my desk every morning. Now that it is gone I am very sad.....[]
NM
Old 09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
My Feedback: (69)

The full size crash was due to a pilot who could fly beyond the capabilities of the aircraft. He had been known to do crazy things with the buff and eventually everyone refused to fly with him. The day of the crash, a very high ranking officer decided he would fly with the pilot since no one else would, and it cost him his life. The pilot overbanked the plane past the tech order specs and the fuel shifted to the end of the fuel tanks of the low wing in the turn, and the plane went dynamic and thats all she wrote. We hear about that accident all the time at my job (B-52 pilot). The video of the model does resemble the full size crash. I am not sure if the model had its fuel in the wings, but if it did I bet it crashed for the same reason as the full size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.