Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Bill Evans Simitar >

Bill Evans Simitar

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Bill Evans Simitar

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bill Evans Simitar

Paul :
Nice model, I know you will enjoy it a lot!
I lost my archives due to a PC malfunction, if the
individual that send me (when I start this thread)
the article and plans from the Simitar 540,read this ,
please send me the files again.
Mostly,I want to read something in the article.
In a couple of weeks I will posted my Simitar pics.
All the best, and safe flights!
Pedro
Old 09-25-2003, 03:03 PM
My Feedback: (6)

HELP!!!!

Will someone please tell me how to post pics. My Simitar Deuce is done and flying. I'd like to post a couple of pictures here but can't figure out how to get 'em onto the post.

Thanks,

Frothingslosh
Old 09-25-2003, 03:12 PM

Just click on ´´upload images´´ and browse from your archives.
Regards,
Pedro
Old 09-25-2003, 03:33 PM

Hi Guys -

Here are a couple of recent pics of my SIMITAR "Deuce". It's been flying for a couple of months, and flys GREAT!!!

Frothingslosh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71111.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	63669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25100.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	63670  
Old 09-25-2003, 04:38 PM

Well,do you know fast how to post pics!
Beautiful model,lets know about the finish.
Regards,
Pedro
Old 09-26-2003, 09:15 AM

Pedro:

I forgot to thank you for the instrs. on how to post pics. Everything worked fine once I discovered which buttons to push. Pics were taken with an Olympus C2100, an AWESOME camera.

The plane is covered with UltraCote. Engine is a Magnum XL .46, and the prop is an APC 11-1/2 x 4. This setup provides unlimited vertical performance and a top speed in level flight between 50 and 60 mph.

The wing cores are from 2" blue building foam. The cone on the rear of the fuse. is an old spinner with 4 oz. of lead shot - required to get the C.G. right (the plane was originally designed for a .21 engine).

The wing incidence HAS to be slightly positive when sitting on the gear, or the plane will NOT rotate for takeoff. In flight it is extremely stabile and large loops require no aileron correction. Landings are a joy, with a quite high angle of attack at touchdown, and the elevons are responsive right down to stall making the plane very controllable at slow speeds. Roll rate on high aileron rate is so fast you can't count 'em, but on low rate with a little expotential added it's extremely docile. Inverted flight takes a moderate amount of elevator, but otherwise it flies just as good inverted as right side up.

The only "negative" to this design has to be the fact that (with no rudder) it is somewhat limited as to what aerobatics it will perform.

Frothingslosh
Old 12-10-2003, 10:00 PM

Hi Willard

Your Deuce looks great. We need someone with a video camera to take some flying shots.

Paul Salvian
Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 PM

Greetings

Install the rudder and then you can do all the rest.

All my wings have had a rudder. They will fly a knife edge and they will do spins.

Paul
Old 12-10-2003, 10:10 PM

My wings will rotate with or without the incidence.

The trick is to assure that the CG is not to far forward and to have the main wheels sitting no more than 1 inch aft of the CG. When sitting level, if I push the tail down, it will stay down. Once the motor is pulling it will not rock backwards.

Paul
Old 12-11-2003, 08:54 AM

Paul -

I didn't add rudder (yaw) control because I wasn't comfortable with the way I would have had to route the controls. Had planned on rudder control from the time I started building it, but scrapped the plan at the last minute in favor of a roomier and more uncluttered fuse. interior.

Mine will sit on the tail also if you raise the nose, but still wouldn't rotate till I added a little positive incidence.

Wonder if anyone has built a larger version, like maybe a 100" wingspan - should be impressive and a real blast to fly.

Dick
Old 12-11-2003, 04:04 PM

I built and flew my own design that was 3 meter wing span. I used a weed eater moter for power. It was a great flying airplane until one of my ball socket connectors popped loose. She hit the ground with a bang.
Bits and pieces everywhere.

All I have left of that one is the drawings. Attached image.

Name:	Vs55488.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	81519  
Old 12-11-2003, 06:18 PM

Hey, here's an idea, go to the AMA website, and to the archives. You can type in Bill Evans in the author search, or simitar, or whatever and you will get a list of the simitars that Model Aviation has published. You can read or print the articles, including the miniature plan in the magazine, I just print them to a file. I've only built the bugs ear, the .020 size and it flies good with an .049, but I've designed some similar planes of my own just using symmetrical airfoils, and they fly just as good, and I can make the airfoils in the 7 to 10% thickness range for speed. And hand launch so you can remove the landing gear for less drag still.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:57 PM
My Feedback: (3)

About 15 or more years ago, Bill Evans kitted one of his Scimitar designs as the "Tracer .40".
Built and flew one with great success, so much so that I recently scratch built a take-off of this design that I named the "Trots". Used all the moments and dimensions of the "Tracer .40, but made it look like a "Hots". (Tr from Tracer/ots from Hots= Trots.) Have included a photo of it as an attachment to this note.

Anyway, I do not remember what the C.G. was and need some advice from you people out there! I imagine that the C.G would be pretty much the same, percentage-wise, as any of his other Scimitars, but would really appreciate any advice I can get!

Thanks,

Dead Stick Dave

Name:	Om34101.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	118360  
Old 04-06-2004, 10:57 PM

Well, about two or so days have passed and I never heard from anyone regarding my question about the Simitar 40 models CG. Also e-mailed Bill Evans and did not get any response. Must admit, this was disappointing. So, following the old and wise advice that "God helps those who help themselves", I think I have solved my problem. I looked up the word "Tracer 40" on Google and got the RCM website where I was able to order the plans and the 1986 RCM article on the Bill Evans Tracer 40 Simitar design. I also ordered plans for the Tracer 60 and intend to build one of these in the near future.

Hopefully, I should get these plans in a few days and find out where the 40 and the 60 models should balance!

Now, if any of you guys need to know data on the CG, reflex settings or recommended elevon throw measurements for initial flights, contact me by e-mail at:

[email protected]
Old 04-06-2004, 11:01 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Sorry I wasn't able to help, but I sold the only Evans plane I had (Skywalker) years ago..and I never had any plans for that one. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:34 AM

Dave :
I do not know about your regards.
Tonight I will put in the thread the C.G. location and any thing you need ,I do have the original plan from the Simitar 540.
All the best,
Pedro Garabello
Old 04-07-2004, 08:46 AM

Hi all,

I have a Skywalker that flies great, but I once saw a picture of a Bill Evans design called "Scimitar EPO" if I recall correctly, probably in an older RCM. EPO stood for Expert Pilots Only. That design did not have the straight leading edge, and it just breathed "speed". I don't like the straight leading edge too much.

I never saw a construction article on this EPO, but I'd love to build one. Does anybody know more?

Thanks

Kris
Old 04-10-2004, 06:53 PM

Thought that the following might be of interest to all Simitar builders/flyers. I got a phone call from Bill Evans yesterday and he advised me that the C.G. for ALL simitars is calculated to be 10 percent of the total chord at the wing root. (This INCLUDES the elevon chord as well as the wing itself!). So if your wing measures 15 inches from the L.E. to the elevon T.E. the balance point should be 1 1/2 inches aft of the L.E. Good thing I got this info as my "Trots" balanced at 3 inches before I adjusted the C.G. by relocating the flight pack battery forward so the C.G. is now 1 7/16 inches aft of the L.E. (The total chord of my "Trots" is 14 inches). Bill did not read the Simitar thread, but did respond to my e-mail to him. So, if you need any info from him, best to e-mail him at: [email protected] Incidentally, you can still order Tracer wing cores, balsa and formed landing gear struts from him. I don't know if he has short kit supplies for his other Simitar designs, but I'm sure there is a good chance he does. Anyway, an e-mail to him will let you know.

Flew the "Trots" a couple of days ago with the CG 1.4 inches aft of the leading edge. Flies great! Is a bit underpowered with a MECOA .46 and plan on retrofitting in a MDDS .49 with a tuned pipe muffler. Should really honk then.

Have just finished my "Tracer 60" with a built-up wing in lieu of the original foam core/sheeted skin wing that the design calls for. Reason for this was that I already had the needed balsa/plywwod and I felt that installing two elevon servos midway outboard in the wing would
be easier in a built-up structure. See attached pictures which now include the almost ready-to-fly model. Interestingly enough, the "Tracer 60" came out a bit nose-heavy and I had to mount the rudder servo in the aft part of the fuselage to get the CG where it belongs.

Dead Stick Dave[image

Name:	Fd91048.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	120799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35417.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	120800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66080.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	120801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98400.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	120802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61617.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	120803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85463.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	120804  
Old 05-27-2004, 07:30 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zipity Do Da

Name:	Om33409.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	136918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62946.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	136919  
Old 10-27-2005, 10:41 AM

Here's a shot of my Webra .50 powered Simitar taken at the dry lake last weekend:

Name:	Ki19822.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	344872  
Old 01-15-2006, 10:37 PM

Dead Stick Dave:

Very interested in your Tracer 60 with the built up wing. Do you have plans for the wing or maybe some templates? Did you use the airfoil used in the plans? The constructions looks very robust.

Thanks,
RCFAN
Old 01-15-2006, 11:46 PM

Hi RC Fan,

I built my Simitar from plans obtained from R/C Modeler Plans Service. I used the plans outline of the wing and traced the airfoils on 3/32 inch sheet balsa from the drawings of the root and tips shown on the side view of the model. Then, I made a "D" type leading edge with 3/32 x 2 inch sheet balsa and 1/4 square bass spars. The "V" type trailing edge consisted of upper/lower 3/32 x 2 inch sheet balsa. Ribs were capstripped 1/4 x 3/32 strip balsa. Result was a very robust yet light structure. I contacted Bill Evans and he approved of this approach in lieu of the original sheet covered foam wing called out in the plans. Hope this will help you out!

Dave
Old 10-11-2007, 05:43 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Does anyone have a copy of the plans for the Simitar Deuce that they would be willing to sell?
Is there anyone making the foam core wing at this time?
thank you
Alan
Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM

I have been flying Bill Evans designs for many years now. I have modified the airfoil platform thru trial and error and came up with something that looks very aggressive and actually improves the flight performance. I put a slight total wing positive dihedral (about 12 degrees) and on each wingtip I put a slight down dihedral (about the same 12 degrees). The outer wing portion that has negative dihedral is at the point of 15% to 17% of the total wing half length. See the attached pictures of my flying squadron.[img][/image
Old 08-20-2008, 06:34 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Welcome to RCU animan!

Try your pics again, it sounds like a neat project.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.