Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics! >

Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 06:03 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics!

Landing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59531_167.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	33658  
Old 03-02-2003, 06:04 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just joined the Midwest Extra 300XS Pilot's Club, now with 3D video and pics!

Rocket takeoff! This thing rockets out of a hover!!

Next time out will get video of the patented triple blender latte.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59532_167.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	33659  
Old 03-02-2003, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the pics John. Next time we'll see some ground below that wing.

I keep forgetting to get pics of the control throws. Needless to say I'm getting more comfortable with the plane after about 15 flights. I think the recommended low rates are too low for aerobatic flying. I'm currently tuning the recommended high rates for IMAC flying, and have dialed down the rudder a little to help prevent snap overrotation. I am planning on taking out a little more rudder and elevator to get the feel I want.

The 3D rates turn the plane into a very responsive machine. The biggest limitation is the ailerons' inability to stop the plane from torquing over while hovering. Other than that, I am the biggest limitation as far as what the plane will do. Considering it was designed before the current 3D craze, it is quite capable of most modern maneuvers, and excels at some, especially flat spins and blenders. Due to the small elevators, Walls and Parachutes are'n quite jaw-dropping, but punch in a little power and you get the desired effect. I also feel that this plane flies 'bigger' than the World Models Extra, but I can't put my finger on exactly why. Both planes fly great.

All in all I'm very happy with how this one turned out. The one piece wing is a little tougher to transport, but all I have to do is connect the aileron servos and screw in the four wing bolts and I'm flying. No canopies or wing tubes to deal with. If you're working on one now, it's worth the effort.

Oh yeah, the Triple Blender Latte. I'm thinking of making it a Triple Blender Latte Twist by doing the last one upright. Then it's going straight to the patent office .
Old 03-03-2003, 02:02 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Ryan.....remember me..? Ive got one done in Quequi's 2000TOC colors... Ive not been on for a while...but Im sure glad I caught your post. Congratulations!! They are such awesome planes...Ive got over 5 gallons through mine now..in no time at all, and its like you cant get enough!! The Midwest is perfect size to progress into bigger planes...perfect, and it in itself is one of the better flying planes Ive ever experienced. So cool to see success here...I just got to fly mine yesterday..and cant wait til the next time I go out with it. Once again congratulations!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 02:49 AM

Dale,
Yes, I remember! I'm glad I took your advise to go with the 50cc engine, as it is really a killer combo. Every time I thought about doing one of your lightening mods, I thought about the big, shaking engine and hard maneuvers I had planned, so all I really did was replace the lower spruce stringers with balsa and just tried to keep it light in general. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 03-03-2003, 06:24 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes that 50 is a great engine for these planes...again congrats.....you did a fine job, and you have an excellent plane to show for it.. Great pics here,,,thanks for sharing Ryan.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:31 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fly Falcons: I have been following your post's on the Extra, I am building the Cap 232 right now. I would like to know how you mounted your rudder servo, was it pull-pull or below the elev. servo's? I plan on using this plane for IMAC also. I am the Pres. of the Olympia club, hope to see you at our IMAC meet, and I probably will make it to your clubs IMAC meet. Great job on the EXTRA!! Rick
Old 03-04-2003, 05:55 AM

Rick,
You gotta drive from Hoquiam to Olympia to fly? Ouch! I will definitely try to make it to Olympia, and I'll drag some friends along too for as much fun factor as possible. I mounted my rudder servo in the tail, just aft and below the left elevator servo. Some thought was require to ensure that the pushrods would not interfere with each other due to the large servo arms, but everything worked out well.

I would say that if you are using an engine that is lighter than the Brison 3.2 that it would be a good idea to keep the rudder servo up front. The Cap looks like it has a shorter nose moment than the Extra, so you may want to leave it up front anyway. Mine feels just a little tail heavy right now, and it is going to get a little worse once I install a pilot. I am looking into moving something forward to offset that, but don't want to get the radio gear too close to the ignition system. We'll have to see on that. Power to weight is fine so adding a little nose weight may not hurt, but I'm going to try the plane with the pilot before doing that.

Have fun finishing the Cap - it was very enjoyable for me to construct a totally built-up plane of this size.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:57 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan: Yes I drive 48 miles to fly, we have about 1800 feet of run way so we can handle all sizes of planes. I had planned on the DA-50 for the Cap, mine is supposed to ship in the next week or so? will have to wait and see, also have a Fox 3.2 that I bought at the Expo if I can't get the DA in time. I will have to come and fly with you guys if we can get some nice weather soon.this is my first year to try IMAC so it will be fun. Rick