Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Turbine Newbie >

Turbine Newbie

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:12 PM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Newbie

If you can find a decent used engine, you can do it cheap. Build a Ziroli Turbinator, go fixed on the gear. Servos need to be decent but not extreme. I hear they fly great. I actually have one but have not started it. I did build one for someone else recently. It's a pretty easy plane to build. Nothing special needed. You can get the plans and a short kit for around 300.00. Sometimes less if on sale. I buoght my short kit from lazer lizard for 99.00. 50 or so for the plans. shopped around for some balsa. National balsa had good prices.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: geh3

A Boomerang Elan with trailing link retracts ( dreamworks) and a Wren 120 will keep you thrilled for a long time + they are really good on grass fields
Also it would be easy to put fixed gear on this plane if you don't want to fool with retracts. The Elan comes in several color schemes.

The main thing about being a turbine newbie is learning how to start the turbine reliably, run it, up and set up your failsafe etc. One method of doing this is to put it on a simple test stand made from particleboard with 2X4 attached to oneside tomount the turbine on. Then you attach this to a picnic table or other sturdy base and practice getting familiar with your turbine.

Whatever you get, if it is retract equipped,definetly get trailing link type struts as they are very forgiving for grass field operations

P.S. Digitec makes a real nice set that will fit both the Elan and the XLII and the servo is mounted onthe retract ...THAT simplifies
front retract install
Been there done that. I second this statement
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fly a rookie 2 and flew an elan. I think the elan flies much easier, and is just about as fast, not quite, but close. I flew both on a super sport. Im flying my rookie now on a Wren 120 and it really has better verticle, but isn't that much faster, maybe 15mph. but OH the verticle....

Anyway, I still consider myself a beginner to novice jet pilot and I will take the Elan over the rookie anyday for a first jet. But if the Boomer wasn't available, I could go with a rookie.

Whatever you get, make sure you can get parts for it, and it has trailing link gear for grass ops. I love flying off grass when learning.. much more relaxing not sweating hitting pavement as a beginner. I regret getting rid of my elan. I should have glassed the wings and put the 120 on it and kept flying it.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The most inexpensive purpose designed turbine powered model I have found is the Mike Reeves Super Reaper http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...per/reaper.htm easy kit to build and very forgiving, has fixed gear as standard and is easy to fly, there are some threads on RCU showing its build.

Mike
Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 PM

I've done the math backwards and forwards because I too am in the market for a turbine some day. I don't think there is anyway to get a "retail" jet flying for under 4K. You can't forget all the little stuff (as someone mentioned). It all adds up... I would have pulled the trigger by now but I have a serious issue with flying around a $4000 toy that could plunge to the ground in a fiery inferno at any moment. I'll get over that hang-up some day I hope!

I think the Shockjet with fixed gear/superbee is about your cheapest/fun option really.... Maybe a Nano fixed gear.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: michaelrc

I've done the math backwards and forwards because I too am in the market for a turbine some day. I don't think there is anyway to get a ''retail'' jet flying for under 4K. You can't forget all the little stuff (as someone mentioned). It all adds up... I would have pulled the trigger by now but I have a serious issue with flying around a $4000 toy that could plunge to the ground in a fiery inferno at any moment. I'll get over that hang-up some day I hope!

I think the Shockjet with fixed gear/superbee is about your cheapest/fun option really.... Maybe a Nano fixed gear.
Nope look at the post just before yours, the Mick Reeves Super Reaper is a £250.00 kit, you can get it finnished minus turbine for £500.00 they don't come any cheaper.

Mike
Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Hey, I'm awful with building kits....so I'm going to be buying an ARF. All-up cost of kits vs. ARF's shows that ARF's normally come up quite abit cheaper.  The reaper looks good, though.  I saw that AJCoholic had one

I've been looking at S3010's or the $19 PowerHD <span _fcktemp="1"></span>servos from TBM.

Ihave decided against the JetJoes, and will be more than happy with aKingtech, SimJet, JetCat, JetCentral, etc.  I think I'm going to use asimple scrub brake for the first bit, and then buy pneumatic brakesalong with pneumatic retracts if/when I decide to go that route.

I've had good experiences with HobbyKing lipos/regs, so I'm probably going that route for Rx and ECU batteries...plus it's as cheap or cheaper than NIMH/NICD packs. I might also end up with a fiberglass-reinforced water-bottletank....just for cost's sake.  Probably with a Dubro-based header tank.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Nope look at the post just before yours, the Mick Reeves Super Reaper is a £250.00 kit, you can get it finnished minus turbine for £500.00 they don't come any cheaper.

Mike
Shockjet was $299 USD if you bought it with a turbine. And that was an ARF so minimal building. Although I can't find a link anymore so that deal may be over....
Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YEs, I started into jets in 2002 with an early Wren 54 kit (that I had to balance myself) and a Super Reaper - one of the first in North AMerica. Its in my Avatar actually

Back then, many here on RCU said it couldnt be done, ie, I had to invest a lot more into a BVM kit, etc.

I would say the REaper is OK, it flies pretty good with a P80 size engine (20 lbs thrust) was marginal on the early wren although it did teach me the basics.

But one of your stipulations was IMAC style flying. The SR will not do that well.... stick with a Reaction R54 if you want to fly IMAC with a jet. Or a boomerang... or something else with a more traditional airplane layout (not a delta).

Just today, I made a deal with a Canadian fellow to help a fellow club member get flying jets... A complete, RTF package (AV8R airframe, all servos, jet wheels/brakes, and PST low time turbine) for $1400 C. Yes, deals can be had but you HAVE to jump on them, and it might take a while. The AV8R isnt the best airframe anymore by any stretch, but for $1400 its a flying jet that can again teach the guy the basics and he can then take that engine and gear into another airframe.

Keep looking, and you might find a similar deal!

AJC
Old 06-24-2010, 10:49 PM

Heck, $1400 for an AV8R RTF??  I could take that, dump the ARF and buy a new ARF and still be right around $2K....not that I'd do that, I mean I'd definitely fly the AV8R.  You still get the point.<div>
</div><div>I am scraping pennies together to find a deal like that, but if I find something like a JetCat P60 for $900 (like my buddy got), I'm not going to pass it up for fear of missing out on a RTF airplane deal...y'know?</div>