Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
 Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum >

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

These seem to be normal setup issues that can be fixed in 30 minutes.
1. Balance the blades first, then set their tracking by twisting one of the blades.
2. Maybe the tail skid wasn't inserted far enough into the tail housing. You can just cut if off with a dremel tool or razor saw.
3. You need to lower the collar on the shaft to get rid of the play. The collar has a set screw.
4. All helis will scoot hard to the left when they're light on their landing gear or when you take off. When you get used to it, you compensate and don't notice it. It's unlikely, but possible, that yours needs adjustment. With the trim centered, your swashplate should be level and the horn on your aileron servo should be at 90 degrees. If it's not, remove it and reinstall it so it is. Then screw the link at the end of the pushrodin or out to level the swashplate.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the response.
I will recover the #4 from it's box and do the fixes you suggested this weekend.
Will keep in touch.
Tone
Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Well I've got three flights with the DD tail & so far I'm not impressed. However, to be fair, the first flight the blades were on backwards (lol) - the difference is very subtle. The 2nd flight was tweaking the gyro. I'm still not sure it's in. Then the Tx broke again & I was down over a week with no flying. So the third flight might have been more I was out of practice then the DD!

I'll keep trying.

Chuck
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 PM

If you want to see a big inprovement in your tail. You should go BeltDrive no more motos to worry about
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30828.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1227075  
Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Mcflyman

If you want to see a big inprovement in your tail. You should go BeltDrive no more motos to worry about

Just going by the picture of the tail of your #4, you have done a heap of mods.
How about a picture of the whole thing?

As for converting to belt drive, I don't really think thats way to go on the little old #4, I think the direct drive tail motor is better. (read cheaper!)

Belt drive is surely better suited for a larger heli such as a #36 - which already is belt drive, but get what I mean?

That said I'd like to know where you got the parts and how you did beltdrive conversion!

B!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM

Have a question about capacitors. I am using the GWS CN12-RXC DD tail motor. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXHHF7&P=K My wonderful soldering skills (not) has "melted" the capacitor. The tech notes at Tower says the motor comes with a pre-installed 104 micro Farad capacitor. Is this something that I could get at Radio Shack? If so... what would be their equivalent?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 PM

Yes, you can get a whole pack of assorted sizes or buy them by size at Shadio Rack. The size isn't really that critical, but the range of .01uF to .1uF (micro farads) are most common for these small motors, and .047uF is the most commonly used.
The tech write up at Tower Hobbies is not correct. The 104 marking doesn't mean 104uF. It's a designation (code) for .1uF. Just for further knowledge, a cap marked 103 would be .01uF. Sometimes they're also marked as .1M or .01M.
If you have any spare main motors, you could just take a cap off from one of them and use that.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Fugitive_Bill

ORIGINAL: Mcflyman

Just going by the picture of the tail of your #4, you have done a heap of mods.
How about a picture of the whole thing?

As for converting to belt drive, I don't really think thats way to go on the little old #4, I think the direct drive tail motor is better. (read cheaper!)

Belt drive is surely better suited for a larger heli such as a #36 - which already is belt drive, but get what I mean?

That said I'd like to know where you got the parts and how you did beltdrive conversion!

B!
Here are some pics for you. and I have done a heap of mods on it I have 3 of them. there is a pic of the new fram and a pic of the fleet

Name:	Nl28287.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1227241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26057.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1227242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68441.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1227243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46314.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1227244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80383.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1227245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13405.jpg
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1227246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce71481.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1227247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om44378.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1227248  

Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 AM

those are all 4g1??? where did you get the fuselages?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:31 AM

McFlyman,
That's cool collection. You could amost have a hobby store with all those canopies. I thank for all the pics

Nascar,
Like GTX SlotCar says, I'd use any cap from any old motor. (surely you have a few burnt tail out motors?)
Some time main brushed motors have 3 caps hanging off them.

Here's a pic of the back end my OLD #4 and #22 - (for the hell of it crap picture sorry)
Yup no direct drive or belt (yet) thats on the #36 and Trex 450

I'll have to line up all my Heli's and take some pics like you did McFly.

B!

Name:	Xv64914.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1227318  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:21 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Mcflyman - I'm trying it in baby steps. First the DD on the 4-1, then a belt drive Guru-z which is currently being tested & then the EXI450 which is in the box with no electrics.

I heard a lot of good things early on in this forum about DD so for 15 bucks it seemed worth it. Certainly the conversion was easy enough - about 15 minutes. I also just realized I changed 2 other things - complete new head ass'y (4g1a) nice tight head now & the Super Skid shorter flybar. I'll have to go read what that does as I forgot for the moment.

It looked like one of the frames you had was a Guru-type. I'll have to line up my stuff & take a picture of the fleet before I start selling off the older stuff!

Have a good day.

Chuck
Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: clp.eng

Mcflyman - I'm trying it in baby steps. First the DD on the 4-1, then a belt drive Guru-z which is currently being tested & then the EXI450 which is in the box with no electrics.

I heard a lot of good things early on in this forum about DD so for 15 bucks it seemed worth it. Certainly the conversion was easy enough - about 15 minutes. I also just realized I changed 2 other things - complete new head ass'y (4g1a) nice tight head now & the Super Skid shorter flybar. I'll have to go read what that does as I forgot for the moment.

It looked like one of the frames you had was a Guru-type. I'll have to line up my stuff & take a picture of the fleet before I start selling off the older stuff!

Have a good day.
Chuck
Thanks for the comp. all of my DF4 I have Guru frams on them I got them from this site www.heli-fever.com the conversion kits from there too.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:59 AM

Dear All

I'm new in helicopter flying, have done a lot of simulatior, i got a Walkera HM 4#(2.4G) heli,but can not trim it correctly.
It is flying desperatly to theleft side every time i hover, and i have try every trim, but i can not make hover stable at all.
Im just about to give up the hobby and go back tooff-road Buggys...
Nevertheless i have hover my friend heli (belt driven) and it was so easy to hover?????????

Thanks to anyone that can help..

Piccoli
Old 07-12-2009, 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: piccoli

Dear All

I'm new in helicopter flying, have done a lot of simulatior, i got a Walkera HM 4#(2.4G) heli, but can not trim it correctly.
It is flying desperatly to the left side every time i hover, and i have try every trim, but i can not make hover stable at all.
Im just about to give up the hobby and go back to off-road Buggys...
Nevertheless i have hover my friend heli (belt driven) and it was so easy to hover?????????

Thanks to anyone that can help..

Piccoli
Hey Piccoli dont give up this happens to all of us . Try this add some wieght to the front of you canopy this sometimes will cause the heli to pull to the right it has worked for others on this site.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM

Hi MCFlayman

Like stick some metal in the canopy itself?  if i push the center of gravity (battery)a bit to the front it works the same?
Any adeia of how much weight it should be, 1g - 10 - 20g
Any other tips you can give regarding trim these beast....

Thanks
Piccoli
Old 07-13-2009, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: piccoli
... i got a Walkera HM 4#(2.4G) heli, but can not trim it correctly.
It is flying desperatly to the left side every time i hover,...
It sounds to me that you have a simple setup problem. First you should realize that when the heli is scooting around on the floor or taking off, it will want to slide to the left. This is normal, especially in FP (Fixed Pitch) helis.
Center the aileron trim on your TX and power on the TX and heli. Now look at the aileron servo (left/right cyclic). The servo horn should be level. If it's not level, unscrew the screw that holds the horn to the servo, remove the horn and place it back on the servo so it's level, then put the screw back in. Now look at the swashplate. It should be level. If it's not level, take the link off and screw it in or out to make the link rod longer or shorter so that the swashplate will be level when you reconnect it.
Also, make sure your flybar paddles are level with the paddle control frame.

Name:	Lj23405.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1235368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55650.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1235369  
Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Hi Gorham

The servo horn is lower to the swashplate, i will fix it and try again, thanks... i let you know if works...

Piccoli</p>
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM

Gary, good reply for Piccoli, that's exactly what he needs to do. (Nice pictures too)
But I was too lazy to type it up!
-B!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 AM

Piccoli,

Aside from going crazy on Realflight G3.5 and playing/watching others on the internet also,
If you can afford it, grab yourself a cheap co-ax heli.

I was about to give up on my heli's until I got E-Flite CX2 and played around with it for weeks, doing all the
Radds School of Rotary Flight http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html stuff,
then geting back to the #4, #36, #22 and HK-450.
Now I've just ordered a HK-T500, but boy they are taking their time send the damned thing!

I love this stuff, but my model club is mainly Planes, but we do have days where once someone gets a heli up, we end up heaps of them flying for and hour, then back to the planes. (Heli strain my brain too much if I fly em too long!!)

-Bill!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Fugitive_Bill

....I love this stuff, but my model club is mainly Planes, ....
Bill, just go out to the [link=http://exposureroom.com/members/GTX_SlotCar.aspx/assets/e25b38b9144a4d3399c94cbe2095862c/]Back Yard[/link] and fly a little of both

Name:	Ki19676.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1236517  
Old 07-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Gary,

I'm not sure I get the point of the video, looks like you had fun few hours of flying with your son though.
I was waiting for the Heli wind up in the pond/dam/lake!

I certainly DON't have a back yard like that, my whole 'backyard' is the swimming pool and BBQ area!

Have no idea why you continued to fly with that ticking noise after the hit with the tree branch,
I would have shut down straight away to see what the problems was. (and what's a 'black fly'?)

What was that humming background noise? - Sounded like about a 450 size nitro doing 3D nearby?
Also what ever server that video is on, it's damned slow. I had to wait for the whole thing to load before watching.

(BTW: My basic HK-T500 kit will on bench today at 9am I think going by the EMS tracking. Can't wait to tinker!)

-Bill
Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM

Bill, the humming noise was a lawn mower. Black flies are little blood sucking flies about 3 to 4mm. They're pests, like mosquitoes. They'll bite you anywhere, but they seem to like buzzing your face first.
Our local heli club had a Jamboree over the weekend. It was very windy, so my son and I were happy to see it calm near us so we could get in some nice flying. The "Back Yard" is actually my wife's parents house. About 20 years ago I started calling it the Back Yard because it's so close to us "they're right in our back yard", and the name just stuck. They're in their 80's now. Wonderful folks.
After the crash, I examined the heli briefly (edited out of the video) and thought the main gear had a few crunched teeth. Since I'd have to change both gears anyway, I figured I'd fly it once more around the yard (damage was already done). But, the noise did bother me so I was coming in for a landing anyway when the tail rotor came off. As it turned out, there was no damage to the gear. It was just a bit of dirt. I cleaned it up and it's quiet as a mouse again.
You must have had a bad connection or something with the ExposureRoom.com server. For me it's lightening quick and others have commented on its quickness as well. I (foolishly) left the camera in 320 res. when the video was shot. I did the best I could to enhance it. Usually I put them on youtube, but it turned out terrible there because of their added compression. In cases like this, ExposureRoom does a better job and the uploads are much faster. The video is also on youtube, but I may take it off.

Good luck with the T500. I know I'd be excited
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM

Hi Guys,
I've posted this on the Falcon 40 forum but everyone seems to be on vacation..so here's my problem...while I'm flying, my heli starts spinning uncontrollably until I crash or for about 5 seconds. It has happened numerous times and I'm at a loss. It sounds like the tail is being powered at full power. Sometimes it will only do a quick 180 and then be fine...talk about flying by the seat of your pants! I've got the DD tail on it. No extra wiring except a fuse mod so not sure what the problem could be. I know intereference but I'm not really near anything when I'm flying. Any suggestions by anyone would be helpful. I don't mind breaking parts when it's my fault but this is getting frustrating.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:21 PM

Which way is the nose spinning, Ken? Left or right?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Its spinning to the right. The tail motor seems to be actuated at full power. Sometimes only a quick 180 or it lasts up to 5 seconds. If I'm not near trees I just usually wait it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.