Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
 are these blades any good for cp pro? >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

Nick,

I had a hard time finding anything on the Align 2 in 1 problems on Helifreak, but I googled it and found an article on corrosion build up on the switch contacts, and a couple of fixes for that issue...I think mine will be OK since it's new, but I will keep an eye on it.

I went ahead and ordered a Futaba 9254, and will send the BLS251 back for now. I think the GY401/9254 will do fine for the type of flying I will be doing. My main reasons for the BLS251 were brushless durability, and metal gears...but I think the 9254 will be OK.

Cool on the hole postion info on the Velocity head, I'm sure the SDX is very similar. I'm just surprised that Hirobo didn't include more detail, as the Quark manual is very detailed on tuning and adjustments.

I could not believe that he took that heli up in the air after seeing the electronics doing that!!! Nothing happened, amazingly...

I'll ask Justin about the 600 SE and his flight times next time we talk.

Have you ever heard of a pilot named Tareq Alsaadi? When I was talking to Justin about Hirobo helis, he mentioned this guy...and his Turbulence D3...he's quite an impressive pilot for sure...one of Justin's favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av81ug-PjQA

Glenn
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM

Glenn,

This might be the same article you saw.
http://www.ronlund.com/align_2_in_1_...tm#Nathans_fix
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?...ght=align+2in1

Yeah, I have heard of that pilot.

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 AM

Got my 250 all fixed up last night.

The last time I flew (the battery before the crash) I noticed that full throttle was only getting me a 5' hover. It was very odd/disturbing. I adjusted the swash mix and it was better.
Well, when I was adjusting my pitch last night, I noticed at full throttle on the stick, and 100% on the throttle curve, I was no more than 5 degree pitch.... I have no idea how this changed. I was running at 8 degrees for the past 20 packs and never adjusted anything. very very odd.

Either way, it's all back now together now. I'm running -9,0,+9 and it all seems good now.

Like I said, I picked up my parts yesterday, but my hobby store didn't have the new-upgraded 250 Pro landing struts, so I had to settle with the stock Sport struts. They are not nearly as robust as the Pro ones, but I needed something. I did however order a set of Pro's when I got home; should be here in the next few days.

I will have to say, I don't know how I made it without a good hex driver. That MIP driver is just about the best investment I have made beside the heli itself.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Nick,

Yeah, I saw the first article, about the Nathan guy....but didn't see the second one on HF....thanks for the links...

jreue,

Glad you got the 250 squared away...hopefully you'll get the Pro L. G. soon too....

I used to use the MIP/Thorp drivers years ago, when I was doing the RC car thing.

We used to have tiny .050 allen screws in the pinions...and the MIP/Thorp drivers would get tight ones out when the others failed or rounded out the hole.

I have read somewhere that they are hand ground...and that's why they are so expensive. Either way, they are the best there is...

Glenn
Old 05-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Glenn,

My engine parts came today, so I can start the rebuild. I was trying to compare the price of YS parts to OS parts last night, but a lot of items were missing from Heliproz. The main ones were all the helis. I wonder if they were still updating their website. However, I did find out the rear bearings are cheaper for the YS, but the OS rear bearing looks beefier.

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Nick,

Cool on the rebuild parts, hope it goes back together well for ya...make sure to use some oil on the new stuff for assembly...

Since you didn't do the ring or the cylinder, you probably won't have to do much of a break in. The bearings don't really need breaking in.

I was also looking at stuff on Heliproz, and it seems alot of stuff was missing in the engine secition. I was looking at the prices of new engines, in case this one is too tired or just doesn't run well. They only had a few listed...and some brands had none listed. I guess they are still working on the site...

My SDX JUST came in the door here at work!

Interesting on the differences in bearings. I think both O.S. and YS make good engines. All the guys at Justin's field run O.S. and they seem to always start and run well...the .90 is hard to start first thing in the day, but once it's going, it's OK for the rest of the day, starts right up.

Rob likes YS engines, says he's had great luck with them. Kinda like cars, you can talk to some people about a specific brand, and some will love them, and some don't if they had a bad experience.

I don't think I would buy an Align engine or a Thunder Tiger engine. I would stick to the big Japanese guys.

I don't want to open my heli here, I'll take it home...I'll have some pics up later on...

Glenn
Old 05-19-2010, 05:23 PM

Glenn,

I checked Heliproz and they have the helis back up.

I was going to put a new ring on, but I broke it. I thought I could bend it like the lawn mower engines I worked on, but it snapped before I could get it over the piston. So I used the old one and bent it up and down. That seemed to work a lot better.

Cool on the SDX.

I like that the sleeve sits above the engine block on the OS. The sleeve is down inside the engine block on the YS and it is kind of hard to get out.

I wonder if OS really makes the engines for Align, since they look so much a like.

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Nick,

Awwww....sorry about the new ring..[&o]

They can be very fragile indeed...at work, I have an automotive piston ring expander, for just that reason, so we don't break the rings. It's a very strange looking contraption for sure...but it does work.

Hopefully, you'll be good with the original ring.

Yeah, it makes getting the sleeve out of the crankcase alot easier with the raised top area on the sleeve, for sure. I didn't know the YS was different, I've never worked on them before.

I didn't know that OS made engines for Align, but I did notice the look nearly identical. Smart move on Align's part. O.S. only builds engines, and they are darn good at it...it would be foolish to try to design their own engines in house to try to compete...

I wonder if the Align engines are still Made in Japan, or if they outsource them to China or Taiwan to save money?

Opened up the SDX....looks SWEET...I'm loving it so far...everything looks top notch, and the best part, Made in Japan on the box!

The build in the manual looks pretty straightforward, not much text...all drawings with notes, kinda like Align kits. Looks like I'll need some 2 part epoxy, for the servo tray, gotta go get some, since it's the first step. You epoxy these metal hexagonal metal braces in place for rigidity...

The canopy looks like a PITA...and time consuming...have to cut it, screw in the windshield, and then all the decals... Hey, half the fun is the build for me anyways!

Here's some pics to get started...

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33749.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1438952   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44914.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1438953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62655.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1438954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38713.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1438955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84293.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1438956  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Glenn,

That is cool you are liking the SDX.

I got most of my engine back together. I think my piston ring kind of scraped the cylinder wall. I had a hard time trying to get the sleeve over the piston, since I couldn't get my fingers in the engine to compress the piston ring. Then when I was putting on the head I noticed it didn't go down all the way, so the sleeve has to go down farther. I put the engine in the oven, so I hope that helps some when I try to tighten the head down again.

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM

Nick,

Sorry you are having a difficult time...I just took my OS apart last night, for a look see...and it was really easy. I hope the oven trick helps get the sleeve back in place.

Hopefully, the scratch is small on the sleeve, and won't make too much difference. I know what you mean about compressing the ring, they are very small...and again, for cars, we have piston ring compressors just for that reason. Some are even tapered sleeves that are custom made for the exact cylinder bore, so you just place it in the bore, and push the piston/rings right down the bore...I don't think they make those for RC engines...[&o]

I'm going to start the build. Looks like the fuel tank, servo tray and frame are first.

I'm super impressed with the kit....each step has it's own parts bag... you don't end up having 12 parts bags open at one time...and each bag has a little quality inspection passed tag in it...

Glenn
Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 PM

Glenn,

You must be having fun with the build.

I finished installing the engine in the frame. I also let it run for 9min. It sounds SO much better than before and there was no leaks. It also idled good. It must be normal for me to see the screws on the head. I should have looked at it closer out of the box, but it is secure. This was a fun project. Now I'm not nervous tearing apart this engine.

Nick
Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Nick,

Yeah, been a busy bee here so far....and it's going very very smooth, no hassles yet at all...

It looks great so far. I can't believe how rigid this frame is, I'd put it up against a CF frame any day....and still fairly light. Lots of screws...

The fuel tank is HUGE compared to the Raptor....I think it's 440cc .....

I put a B400 frame next to it for comparison...this thing is huge compared to what I am used to...

Awesome on your engine! I am so glad it turned out well for you, and that you now feel comfortable working on it. They are actually very simple engines....until they don't want to start or idle...lol..

I'm calling it a night on the build. I'll pick up again tomorrow night.

Glenn

Name:	Wu61498.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1439115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40323.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1439116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29936.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1439117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13298.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1439118  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 PM

Glenn,

I was just trying to catch up here and saw your post of the SDX. For fun I blew up in size your box. Then I took my Iphone and I have a scanner app that will read the product by the bar code on the box or package. This is what came up with me scanning the computer screen LOL

JPEE

Name:	Xv64013.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1439119  
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 PM

JPEE,

Those are pretty good prices. I didn't search real hard for the best deal...

Mine is a very new unit, however, the date on it is May 11th....and I am getting a free custom painted canopy with it as well...going to pick it up at the MHA fun fly in a couple of weeks from the vendor that's coming down from PA. Maybe that had something to do with the price, I'm not sure...I paid $419...

Heliproz has them for $384....but they never have any in stock it seems...they seem to go quickly.

Thanks for checking though...

Glenn
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Glenn,

That is cool it is turning out to be a trouble free build.

It looks like it would be easy to install and remove the engine. It looks like it also has plenty of room to mount accessories.

Nick
Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 AM

Nick,

Yeah, I am hoping the engine comes out and goes in easily. That is always a plus with nitro...

I think there is an extra servo mount for a carb smart servo...not that I'd use it...but nice to know it's there...and looks like lots of room for stuff.

I'll pick up where I left off tomorrow.

I'm on step 3 of 39...[X(]

Glenn
Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Hi guys,

Yep, been a busy bee the past few days. The house looks vacant while the garage a pack rats nest - full of clutter!

Had to run down to Orlando this past Tuesday to do a final interview and came back the next day - what a day and a half that was. Nick, my schedule will either be 1st or 2nd - there are 2 positions available and I'll find out next week what's going on. I would not have been able to do all that we did while still working nightshift at my last position.

Glenn,

Major congrats on your NEW NITRO Hirobo heli! With the speed that your putting that puppy together you may have it maidened by the time we move to Orlando.

JPEE,

Glad you like the paint colors for the room - while staying with my wife's friends in Jacksonville I noticed the rooms were a dark brown color while the rest of the house was a baige creme. It was a nice contrast and worked really well. So it was worth a shot when I decided to repaint the rooms. And I think it worked out beautifully!

I feel kinda bad b/c I haven't had the time to post over at the Band of Brothers thread and see how Dave and Jeff are doing. Was wondering if Dave had a chance to maiden his new 500 yet. I'm sure I'll have much catch up to do when we are moved and settled in!

Gotta go run now - meeting with the rental agency for the house then have to make an appointment with the carpet cleaner guys for the rugs.

Take care everyone and enjoy the nice flying weather!

Mark
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Good grief that SDX is huge!

It's funny how 'big' I thought the B400 was when I got in this addiction; err hobby...

I can't image flying something that big. One day I would love to get something bigger than a 450, but man, that's something else.

I took the 250 out for a spin last night after the rebuild. The wind was gusting just a bit, and it takes a tole on the 250. When the wind would hit it would shoot up or down a few feet depending on my orientation. It sounds good; the tracking is absolutely dead on. During the rebuild, I went ahead and releveled my swash because I was having to more trim in that I liked. Now I'm running with 0 trim from the TX and she is holding pretty steady.

I have yet to even maiden my 450. I don't know what my problem is or what I'm waiting for.....
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM

Jreue,

Cool your 250 is flying good after the rebuild.

Guys,

My flybarless parts came in today. I am suprised how quick the mini V-bar came from Flying-Hobby.

Nick
Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Guys,

I found some problems with my Velocity. I started off by wanting to replace the mainshaft with the new one from the flybarless kit, but it was stuck to the one way sleeve like my 600 used too. So that was a clue right away that the one way bearing was bad. It was really hard to seperate the gears from the main shaft, but I got it off. It looks like they used the same cheap one way bearing that Align used that always seized on me. Then I found out the flybarless kit didn't come with dampners or brass spacers, so I had to take them off of my flybared head. I had to take my frame apart to get the mainshaft and gears out. While doing that I saw my control shaft for the push pull levers was bent. I was hoping to start testing this today, but it looks like I have to wait for parts again.[&o]

Nick
Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 PM

Hey guys,

Just got back from the plane field and a little hovering practice....since FF is a big no-no....lol...

jreue,

Congrats on the successful rebuild, and the tracking being dead on... it pays to sweat the details, for sure...

I also remember when my B400 seemed like a big heli to me...I was flying a CP Pro, and a CX2...and that rotor head looked soooo complicated!

Yes, the SDX is huge by my standards too....and I would be kidding myself or anyone if I said it isn't going to intimidate me when I go to fly it....[X(]

But, I think I can overcome that pretty quickly. The way I see it, it's a bigger heli, yes, but I now have a very large area to fly it, so it should be relative...and of course, I will be keeping a good distance from it...not to mention it should be very stable, and slower reacting than the little helis.

Everyone I talk to says I'm gonna love it...

Nick,

Sorry to hear about all the stuff going wrong...I wonder if the one way is the exact same one you had all the problems with on the 600?

I guess you changed your mind, and are going to put the V-bar on the Velocity?

I hope you can get your parts without too much waiting....although I guess it will be next week...[&o]

Glenn

Old 05-20-2010, 09:06 PM

Glenn,

I am having a hard time getting the one way bearing out. It is like they put a very strong adhesive on the side of the bearing. All the insides of the bearing came out, but the case won't come out. All the rollers weren't moving, so I am glad I didn't do an auto like I wanted. It might also be the cause of my two bad forced autos when I ran out of fuel. I am going to order the one way bearing that is working really good in my 600.

Yeah I did change my mind and wanted to put the Vbar on the Velocity, but I changed it again and put it on the 600. I just got done installing and setting it up. The instruction book isn't very good, but luckily Mikado has some nice setup vids. It took me the longest trying to figure out how to get the servos moving the right direction and for it to compensate in the right direction. The only thing it doesn't have is a way to adjust each servo at the endpoints like the Skookum has. However, the Vbar sends each update automatically and the Skookum I had to hit a button everytime. I want to try and test it out tomorrow morning before I go to school.

Nick
Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 PM

Nick,

Yeah, I remembered you found a good one way bearing finally for the 600 that you liked...if it's working well, then that would be the way to go...

Hopefully, the autos will go better too...

Sounds cool on the V-bar...I wouldn't be surprised if the instructions aren't the best...probably some details lost in the translation...I think there is alot of online info on it as well...

Cool, I hope your test goes well for you tomorrow..

The build is coming along well...it's alot different than any other heli I've built. The elevator shaft is the central point for all the cyclic arms, they all 3 go on the same shaft, which is very close to the mainshaft.

Kind of interesting, for sure...

I'm getting ready for the mainshaft and gear now...

I'll post pics later on...

Glenn
Old 05-20-2010, 11:00 PM

Glenn,

Here are some of my flybarless pics.

I had to fire up the 600 just a few minutes ago. Once the headspeed came up and the noise increased I thought the neighbors wouldn't be too happy if I got it up in a hover.

That shaft sounds a lot like what the Velocity has. The cyclic push pull arms are on it and the elevator arm is on it too.

Nick

Name:	vt56405.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1439634   Click image for larger version

Name:	tr49607.jpg
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1439635  
Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM

Nick,

Here's the latest from the SDX build.

Cool that you made alot of progress on the V-bar. I'm sure it will take some fine tuning to get it just like you want it...just like any FBL system.

Sounds like the Velocity uses a similar setup to the SDX for the linkages.

Hope your maiden with the V-bar turns out well....

Glenn

Name:	Pn37529.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1439638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55408.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1439639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35537.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1439640  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.