Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Non Chinese Gas Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Non Chinese Gas Engines

Super08, that is one nice looking engine. Nice job on the test stand too! Capt,n
Old 08-13-2011, 05:44 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I got the idea for the stand from Trevor Brum. I like the looks of his and asked if he minded if I built one like it. I just looked at it in a video of his and then drew it up on a sheet of 3/4" plywood and threw it together with some Wilbond and wood screws. When I am running the engine I throw a couple of sand bags in the base.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never buy any thing made with the UN-controlled or out of control process that is present there. I have been there, I worked with high precession manufacturing and I have seen the quality that is standard from there culture. The box has more value than the product. As far as the witnessed products. One of the guys at a club bought an off shore manufactured pos. The second day he had his seize up. He returned at an aprox. cost of $30. 2 or 3 weeks later he was told that it was defective, not enough clearance for the crank and they would repair the pos with a new crank,new piston and return it at his expense. He complained and they did pay the return freight. 2 months later. he has a rebuilt pos that runs ok for the moment. They would not give him a replacement. The good news , it was cheap. 2/3 of the season gone. and his new engine is now a rebuilt pos after less that 40 minutes of run time. What did he get for his money?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Had the same thing happen with several Fox engines.  Turns out the whole batch had piston retension springs that were made by an un-enthusiastic high school student or something to that effect.  Had to send both of the motors in twice till they finally nailed the problem down.  Cost me two contests that year.  Participation in them not winning. had no chance of that, but still U can buy crap anywhere and from any body. 
Old 08-14-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm going to stay out of politics for now. People have a real funny way of looking at the economy. Then they are the first ones complaining about not having a job. Wake up! "If you don't have a job you can't buy the Ch*****e stuff." you're killing yourself. If this applies then I was talking to you and it will probably piss you off. Better you then me.

The big news is the the MVVS 116 found a home in a PAU Edge. A friend of mine had it and made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. I'll pick it up within the next month. I's located 10hrs from me and I'm going to go and visit and bring it home. Yes it's a big boy but I got it at a small boy price.

Got this over the weekend. The plane that I won it with has a used American engine that I got at a really good price. Cheaper then a new Ch*****e equivalent. Just got to know where to look.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83497.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1648880  
Old 08-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Congrats on the award Tom. You'll love the PAU Edge. One of the guys up here has been flying one for three years now. It is super smooth in the air and would make an excellent IMAC plane. Come to think of it that is what he uses it for.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Well done Tom - That trophy will be one of many to come I am sure.
Excellent pickup on the Airframe too I have heard great things about that airframe.

I was just having a little chuckle to myself. You, Doug, Myself (and a few others) have posted here with happy results after finally "getting it" about the great performance of some of the top end products. This is not a price (or source) statement but a performance statement. I am making an educated guess that you didn't do those IMAC routines at full throttle through the entire routine. Isn't it wonderful to have a very responsive and powerful mid range. (of course the MVVS will be even better )

I don't know about you guys (I suspect I can accurately guess the answer) But I am sure glad I finally listened to the advice of those who have been telling us for years. T.O.M. Antique, Badazzmax, Pe etc are right - there is a difference between an engine that runs and an engine that performs well.

"We of the enlightened ones" (What was the name of that club again Doug?).
Old 08-14-2011, 05:27 PM

As an update to my 3W I have run about 1 gallon or maybe a hair more through the engine. Really have to watch the temps on this baby, she gets hot fast. I have a thermocouple on the base of the left plug to keep an eye on it.
Redline 30-1 mix 91 octane
Mejzlik 30x13 Evo 6260rpm
Mejzlik 32x10 6K something...forget
Mejzlik 31x12 5760rpm

It is ready for the airframe as soon as it gets here. My Falcon 32x12 CF should arrive this week.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve
''We of the enlightened ones'' (What was the name of that club again Doug?).

LOL!!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 PM

I've seen many PAU Edges fly. That is why I'm so happy to be able to get one. I'm going to use it for Freestile.

This is my IMAC Plane.

Name:	Om33950.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	1648927  
Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 AM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"We of the enlightened ones" (What was the name of that club again Doug?)." - aussiesteve

I used to feel as though I belonged to that club. At least in spirit. That was back in the early Eighties when I was living, eating, breathing pattern 24/7. That has been a long time ago. Lots of technology has come and gone since them.

I just realized that the argument between the high-enders and we bottom feeders (engine prices) is actually a misunderstanding. I'm not proposing for one second that the cheapest engines can replace the high performance/expensive engines in high performance flying. Back in the day, I used to spend the bucks for the best equipment that I could afford. I only wish that I could have afforded even better equipment, although I don't think the end results as far as my "pattern career" were concerned would have turned out any different. It sure would have felt better to play with the YS and Rossi engines rather than the OS, Webra and yes, even Fox, engines.

I'm recommending the cheap DLE engines for the non high performance folks that want to fly a 12' Telemaster or a GP Ultimate Biplane 160 ARF with a DLE 50 or 55. I have found that the cheap Chinese engines will do the
job just fine. The DLE 20cc engine is a delight for flying 10cc to 20cc engine designed airplanes.

Now, if you guys want to keep on pretending that I'm trying to run the Chinese DLE 55cc engine against the equivalent DA or 3W engines, well, that's just fine. Go ahead.

Ed Cregger

Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is most definately a place for the less than stellar performers. The problem arises when the purchasers of thsoe products expect the same or better quality and performance as the upper end products. Toss in anticipating having a few problems as time passes with the budget products and you suddenly have hundreds of posts in RCU and other places from people complaining about getting exactly what they paid for.

As long as everything is kept in perspective all is good. It's when people expect more than what they paid for that friction becomes flammable. It's even worse when those purchasers do not have the product and performance knowledge necessary to over come the deficiencies. It's about that time they want a lot of work done for free.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post deleted</p>
Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 AM

One guy deletes a post and everyone goes on Vacation.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 PM

I definately agree with you about the value of DLE products. The user is provided very good performance for the dollar spent, and the quality is well on it's way to meeting that of higher end products. Of course I've been saying the same thing for about a year and a half or so but many manage to overlook that.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Just like oil test results..
3 different tests, rcbugman, yours, the 250cc Suzuki dyno test with less and less oil...[sm=punching.gif]
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Ralph,

If you want to challenge or refute you are more than welcome to initiate testing of your own. If you think less oil is better, or oils other than what me and others recommended are better for our purposes, show us. I certainly don't have a problem with someone doing what it takes to come up with something better. However, RC Bugman's and my testing were generally comparable in the results, but running more engines for more hours provided a little more info to establish that one oil was better than another over the long run.

Lately it seems you have found a need to challenge whatever I put into the last post in several threads. In this one I supported DLE but your comment has the appearence of innuendo stating that DLE is not so good. If that is not the case and I've misread your comment perhaps you might better consider what you want to say before committing to print.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:28 PM
My Feedback: (4)

What in H#$% are you talking about ???MORE is ALWAYS better and I have always said so...You have more knowledge of 2 stroke engines than almost anyone I know, and have said so...Maybe you can show me where I said ANYTHING to the contrary...I'm 76 but not exactly senile...
AND also...DLE engines are the BEST Chinese engines on the planet, have ALWAYS said that too...If the DLE factory had not cut off the Chinese wholesalers I would still be buying and selling DLE engines...I have sold 35 30s with NO problems...Bill is flying 3 of my side carb 30s to this day...Bought them back from dopey buyers who believed the BS posted here....
MY own very early 222 is happily flopping a 48lb giant Sukhoi like a rag doll with a 34-10 prop and 32-1 Pennzoil...Maybe you were in the sand box too long..[] It must have affected your reading comprehension....
Hey, this is me, Ralph Cunningham...You stayed at my house for 4 days a while back...I have only disagreed with you a few times, I think the single bolt prop hub thing was one..
If we're still friends, good, if not, up yours....[:@]
FWIW, Jan doesn't think the last sentence is appropropriate..It is what it is...
Don't gloss over, tell it like it is, let the pieces fall where there may,the truth always wins
This is the plane, the pilot is Don Corum..If I could fly half as well as he does I would not be posting misinformation(?) on these dopey forums...
FWIW, my more oil=more power has been on these forums beginning with the old RC online befpre RCU started this one spamming all their E Mail addresses..Anyone else remember the gas engine part of that one ? Who was the moderator ?

Name:	Pn37831.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1655393  
Old 08-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Yup he definitely must have misread it. Loved reading your response though. You've still got flair.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never seen a posting where Ralf(Antique) said less oil was better. He always said more oil = more power to a point. Common sense will tell you 1/2 fuel with the other 1/2 oill is a way too much oil.

Tired Old Man....Why is it you challenge Antique anyway??? I cannot see the point in it. TOM, I am sure most people like a right to the point answer....most often right...than a page of fancy words. Hey we are not into the word game. We like strait engine talk.Remenberthe guys in the Hills....where some of the first good racing engines &amp; fuel came from, understand strait simple talk. Capt,n
Old 08-30-2011, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Antique

If we're still friends, good, if not, up yours....[:@]
FWIW, Jan doesn't think the last sentence is appropropriate..It is what it is...

If we're not still friends up yours too LOL. Clearly I mis-read your intent. Tell Jan hello for me and that I still love her cookies.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 PM

The clash of the Titans !  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:10 AM

Bad day.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:15 AM

Morning Pat
'tis the start of a new one and I for one know it will be better than the last. I am off shift for the next 5 days.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:18 AM

Lucky you. Just came back from 2 weeks away (more or less) to find no progress but more problems. Enjoy that off time. decompression is nice!! Recompression...not so nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.