Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 41 Falcon cat >

41 Falcon cat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

41 Falcon cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 41 Falcon cat

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibNTAUfGhC0]You Tube.[/link] Went to the lake today and I decided to make a video to prove the 60+mph from my stock zen in the falcon.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Rumor has it that Steve at SS Motors has a Falcon 41 that has hit 78 MPH. Whether or not it's BS I should find out early in October at the Flint, MI record trials if he brings it along.
I'm a little skeptical myself but the word came from a very reliable source.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 AM

ORIGINAL: eengler

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibNTAUfGhC0]You Tube.[/link] Went to the lake today and I decided to make a video to prove the 60+mph from my stock zen in the falcon.
Impressive run,great calm lake..
taking mine today for its second run after a rebuild,wont be as calm as your lake though,pity..
Brod...
Old 08-30-2009, 07:22 AM

Ron we won't have to wait that long for that. I already ordered another Falcon 41 "yellow top/ white bottom" that will arrive next week, I should have it on the water within the next two weekends. I took everything(ss straightline engine/hotpipe/ etc) out of my sprint cat and I will be using it on the new falcon cat. Like i said before the Falcon is a much more forgiving boat than the sprint and the falcon it's easier to tune. The Falcon is pretty flighty, but it is controlable. People at the lake think i am BS'ing when i tell them it is stock... ohhh well..... I am expecting for the falcon to definately hit over 65mph, over 65 will be for sure. I use to do 65 in the sprint and it would run wet, i could never make that boat lift. I should be pretty close to 70 with my ss/falcon. Paul needs to give me tips on how to keep it on the water at that speed (he already has) heheheheheh Thanks Paul. I'll call steve this week to ask him about his falcon.... maybe he can also give me some tips on how he keeps his on the water at that speed. BY THE WAY, 60.1MPH WAS WITH A 2716, 20 RAKE THAT I ROUNDED AND CUPPED MYSELF....
Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 AM

I've got a PM into him to see if there's any truth to the rumor. Mine was radared 2 weeks ago at a lousy 49 MPH but we're still playing with props plus I'm only using the Profession Models pipe but removed my internal stinger and added one of Mike Tyson's mufflers.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 PM

I can definitely see that boat running high 70's in the right hands under the right conditions, Ron. I mean I ain't the brightest turnip on the truck and I was able to get mine over 71.

Steve definitely knows a thing or two about setting up a boat so I'm willing to bet it is not BS. Plus he may have tweaked a motor to take advantage of all the air the Falcon packs in the tunnel.

With the aerobatics mine did the last time I ran it, Eengler, I'm not sure if I am one to take advice from as far as keeping it on the water

Fall air is coming and with it faster speeds[8D]
Old 08-30-2009, 02:57 PM

Took my motor apart, to add another full mod cylinder I just finished, just to find out my wrist pin had a flat spot on it and was a pain in the - to get the piston off. Thought I had everything I needed to build the motor back, now I have to order another wrist pin. Thought I would order a couple of new cases and change my older 23's to 26's and do more mod's on the cylinders I have. Should have boat back together before the end of the week. Needless to say I want be running it this weekend. Don't have a clue as to why the wrist pin did this. This was on the M5 cylinder that I got from WHH, don't think that had anything to do with what happened.
Eengler that was a good run, and that is a strong stocker faster than most, the falcon is a fast boat and has hardly any weight. I wish I had the area to run that far, nice lake.

Later; Randy[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-04-2009, 07:45 PM

I spoke to Steve at SS, two days ago. He does not have a Falcon. He is still running the dragcats and sprint cats. I mentioned to him that i was having problems getting my sprint cat loose, he quickly asked "are the ride pads in the rear FLAT?" guess what guys, they are not. The ride pads are suppose to be flat and they are not. Also, in the bottom of the hull the "v" that the sprint cats have in-between the tunnels should be right in the middle of the boat. GUESS WHAT, the "V" is not in the middle of the boat either. MY BOAT IS CROOKED!!!! oh well, anyways i already ordered another Falcon, it should be arriving soon, i wont sweat it. No wonder my sprint cat wasn't running right. My stock Falcon hitting 60.1 and the modded sprint 65 with the same boat builder(myself) , something wasn't right.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Rumor has it that Steve at SS Motors has a Falcon 41 that has hit 78 MPH. Whether or not it's BS I should find out early in October at the Flint, MI record trials if he brings it along.
I'm a little skeptical myself but the word came from a very reliable source.
Boy you guys got some mixed up information handed to you !! ...Its Mike Ross from Suicidal engines that ran his Falcon 78mph , You wont be seeing that boat in Flint in October , Mike built another boat for that
If all goes right....Mike & I will be slugging it out for the LS27 record next month[>:]
Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 PM

Yeah, thank Walt for that as he was the one who told me.
I hoping to make it to Flint in October but I'm waiting to see what the wife is doing. She got an all-expenses paid offer to fly to Florida and stay in a $3,000,000.00 house while there so old dad might have to stay home to keep an eye on the pets. I sure can't leave "Big Wheel with Little Spokes" alone here or the crib would be a shambles when I got home.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Completed, my first self Mod. and started motor after rebuild and motor purred like a kitten, took to lake and ran 2 bags of fuel and noticed the motor had a popping sound, couldn't figure out what the problems was then noticed had a exhaust leak, so back to the work bench. The seals had got pinched while installing, so now with new seals ready to go and test again.
I hope to test again today, still just in the break in, seems to be running strong. Running fat with 10 oz. Quick Silver for break in, still no WOT.
Will post after more run time and get some GPS readings.

Later; Randy
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Took our Mercury/falcon last nite,very windy and rough,ran fast with a big cupped 2716/2 20 prop.No cavitation.
Raised the strut even more to get the revs up,but kept it flat to the hull,it worked well.
Brod...
Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 PM

hehehehe told you guys the 2716 20 rake, cupped and rounded works well...... My other "new" falcon has not arrived yet. This one is taking longer than my first one.... I am anxious to put that SS into the falcon.....
Old 09-06-2009, 04:03 PM

pure coincidence Eengler,,he,he.
It was a real solid performer,bit hard on acceleration and screamed at full throttle.Very good prop..
I'll try to get some video next week..
Brod...
Old 09-06-2009, 05:13 PM

no prob brod, we are here to help each other... brod please give details of your boat! please introduce him.... Who sells suicidal engines? i want to get in touch with Mike Ross, to see if he gives me a little advice on the Falcon set-up. Hey Wally, did you see my 60.1mph run with the stock cat?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 PM

Eengler, hope to be all over the 61 when I get this new motor broke in. HaHA; I had my son and his wife up for the weekend, so will try and have boat back in the water next week for more break in time. Yellow top, just so happens mine is yellow top as well, I really like the yellow easy to see.
Brod, have you had a chance to GPS any on your boat? what motor are you running?

Later; Randy
Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM

I havnt got a GPS,my pal has and i will get some readings when the wind dies down here,hopefully at weekend.
My motor is a ported 260 done by a guy here on the forums.Could take the mods a fair bit more but ok at the moment.Its really my 12yr.old sons boat.Its a great boat for him.
It has a cheap HOR stainless pipe with a 105 header.tuned length set at 12"
644 carb,electric pulley start.
It originally had a Zen7 but thats in another boat now.
Strut is raised a good 1cm from the bottom sponsom.It had originally a shorter strut but we think it runs better with the longer one.
These are very light boats.
Brod..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54495.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1270669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56852.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1270670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81520.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1270671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29799.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1270672  
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Brod, thanks for sharing your falcon, and posting the pictures, nice boat. We will be looking forward to get more information on how she runs. I have never seen that pipe before, and the 12" is a little on the short side on my pipe. Not to say that is not the best for your boat, I might try to shorten mine and give it a try just to see what happens.
Hope to have a couple more break in runs this week, before WOT and checking for speeds

Thanks Again;

Randy[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-13-2009, 12:09 PM

I got my yellow top / white bottom falcon yesterday. It is almost completly built already (HAHAHAHA). I placed the SS-engine/hotpipe about 7/8 inches more foward than my stocker and the gas bag is more foward too. I just need to cut the cowl, insert the cowl locks, and put the pipe holder. The rest is done.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Hey guys! I went to the lake yesterday with my "new" yellow/top-white bottom (SS/hotpipe). Guess what happened???? Yes, this is too much engine for this boat! the boat does drive AWESOME, great ride height, etc. But as soon as the SS engine hits the "turbo=high, high rpm's" the Falcon FLIES!!!!! Wind speed was between 4-7 mph. As it would hit upwind, it would fly off. Remember this boat has the engine about 1 inch more foward than my STOCKER and the gas bag (full of gas, 500ml) is all the way foward. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I am thinking of changing it for a hydro. Mart, I know you would second the hydro idea, you love hydros! hahahahahahahha I did loose my GPS yesterday becuase in one of the runs, i ran it without the cowl... duhhhhhhhhhh. I am assuming the runs where between 60-65mph
Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 PM

move engine further maybe, what is the cg at now?
Old 09-21-2009, 12:10 AM

Put some lead weight in the front to hold the bow down.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM

Did you not put the lead tire weights on the outside of the hull in the tunnel? Remember, I'm running one of these with a Quick Draw which has a little more grunt in it even than the SS.

If you don't disrupt some of the air going into the tunnel, you will have blow offs at high speed. You can play with CG and strut settings all day long but until you do this you are going to have a difficult time at the high 60 low 70 mark with blow overs.

Also if you run the Falcon up wind at 65 mph, you gonna have some aerobatics as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im surprised theres not more cats out there with belly pans under the tunnel to eliminate blow overs as it seems to me it would help a lot on some hulls that are prone to flight .Running into strong headwinds at speed is asking for a blowover though,doesnt take much to make any hull with a tunnel to take flight.Here's a pic of a hull ive allways liked the look of but the guy seems to have disapeered,if hes arround id love to hear how this one runs its one of the nicest cats ive seen.Ive been thinking of a similar design myself and i think it would eliminate blowovers and help in the rough stuff.
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86527.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1279471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96866.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1279472  
Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Mart,

That is very similar to what is in the tunnel of a Blast Cat and they run very well in wind and waves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.