Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Hanger 9 F-22 Craptor >

Hanger 9 F-22 Craptor

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 F-22 Craptor

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 F-22 Craptor

i downloaded and installed the update, and i downloaded the f-22 but when i turn on the solo-sim it's not in the hanger. i must be missing something, any idears thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

I apologize for getting into this thread late. With reference to the drawing of a tricycle grea plane on page 2, please don't use this. I have Andy Lennon's book and he is brilliant, but much of his stuff is not applicable to normal flight.

1. You should never angle the nose gear forward. We put caster in every wheeled vehicle so they track better. Angling it forward will cause it to try to reverse itself just like the front wheels on a grocery cart is they are backwards-they flip around. With the nose gear angled forward, the plane will try to zig-zag as you steel.

2. Don't angle the nose down. Set the plane level. If the nose is down, as you gain speed, the plane will be pushed down on the runway. You'll need extra back stick to life off and the plane will tend to jump off the ground.

3. 20 deg back is too much. in my opinion. 15 deg is the number I've always heard. You really want the plane light on the nose gear so is can rotate easily on take off and you can land on the mains without slamming the nose down.

4. Never use a T tail, except on a sailplane. When the plane rolls, the tail will scoop air, making the tail pull out in a conical fashion. Terrible looking rolls. Ever see a pattern plane with a T tail? The only power planes with T tails that I know are successful are the flying boats, Seamaster, Neptune and Sea Monster. They also have the engines up in a pod and the T tail puts the stab right behind the engine on the thrust line.
Andy actually doesn't have forward angled nosegear that produces negative "caster".

Wish I'd had time to mention a bit of detail about his simplified picture, especially about that nose gear. That previous diagram is simplified. He actually does exactly what you suggest should be done, design in some caster. And he includes a detailed drawing that shows two different designs to do just that.

If you look closely at his nose gear design picture I've included in this post, you'll see that his designs include quite sufficient caster. They look strange with their strut angles in other pictures and drawings, but the strut angle has nothing to do with the caster in his designs. His designs caster correctly. They look odd.

I agree about the nose down. And it appears to be an error that it's included in that drawing. He has more detailed drawings of his specific aircraft designs and none of them show any short nose gear at all.

And I've always used 15% myself. And in fact, a couple of his detailed drawings of specific designs show 12degrees.

As for a T tail???? C5A ? Half the current biz jets and twins? Not good for a precision aerobatic airplane, but about half Andy's designs have conventional tails including his precision aerobatic one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88277.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	720964  
Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 PM

I love my Raptor.....The OS 91 is ripping the sky.....This set up makes the plane extremely fast......I don't believe some say this plane can't be a screamer in the air....Well I can prove that wrong.....I have flow this plane around 40 times and I can truly say my heart is racing ever flight right though to the end of the landings....Mine has just been softly landing into a good breeze......In fact she lands better with a little wind in her face.....Mark
Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Did anyone fit some retracts in this thing yet? post some pics pls if you did!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:38 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just about ready to fly mine.

SuperTigre .51 powering, all JR Sport radio across the board.

I still need to check the throws of the control surfaces and balance.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:41 PM

I hope that's not the Hanger 9 trainer, three bladed trainer prop on your plane! If it is, you would do well to get rid of it. An APC 11x7, two blade prop will do much better(or whatever the engine calls for). It will struggle to get into the air with the three blade trainer prop. It isn't a very efficient prop.

Rod
Old 07-13-2007, 08:10 PM

Thanks Rod, I'm just using it to break the engine in right now. Just went thru it's first tank of 17% today. Running REALLY ritch, but I can hand start it so I'm feeling good about it.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 PM

That's great. Hope the maiden flight goes well. Keep us informed or your progress.

Rod
Old 07-14-2007, 05:19 AM

Will do. I'm headed down to the feild today to burn thru a full tank.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 PM

Hi all.
I have finally got my Raptor flying really good. It took a bit of work and pay carefull attention to the adjustments especially where the ailerons and flaps should be. I have a GMS 61 a 10x10 prop and a 6 volt battery for torque and rear weight.
after that it's a good flyer, fast.

C Hardy.

Name:	Xu62500.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	725062  
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 AM

Hi c hardy,

Would you mind sharing the specs or your set-up? There are so many people trying to figure this plane out that any information to get her flying good will be appreciated by many people. What are you throws, rates, exponentials...etc.? If you don't mind.

Rod
Old 07-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Does anyone know if I can use a futaba controller as a slave with a spektrum radio as a master? This would be for training, and I have the right cable.

Thanks all!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:36 PM

Sorry, but Futaba is NOT compatable with Spektrum radios to use for trainer master or slave.

Rod
Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Doc Austin...

I agree with your comments, I don't have my own H9 F22 but I test flew a club member's this past Monday. He put an OS55 on it but used the 3 bladed prop, he has installed an 11 X 8 for tonight's hop (I feel the need for speed). The F22 flew well right from the git-go (I was surprized with the 'sensitive' nose steering on our paved runway) with only one click of right aileron trim and two of up elevator trim to fly hands-free at half throttle. I didn't use the flaps for landing and I found if it is landed like a normal bird you have to be cognizant of wing wobble, on the second hop I steepened the approach and it was great. I look forward to seeing what this bird will do tonight being propped better, but all-in-all I would have one in a New York minute. I got my 'thumbs' ready for the F22 test flight with the maiden of my MT Mach Racer, I plunked a nearly new Webra 6.5 Blackhead on it (given to me by a buddy) with an 8 X 8.75 APC D1 prop on it, can you say fast! [X(] No trimming required aside from needing to add move elevator throw.

Cheers from Manitoba!

Len
President, Winnipeg Radio Control Club

Name:	Xv62975.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	730240  
Old 07-27-2007, 07:18 AM

Update - with the 11 X 8 she was a rocket and off the ground in 50 - 75 feet (paved RW). Rolls were smooth and crisp and nothing nicer than the whistle of wind during a high speed pass. Very nice bird, now just to get the owner on the sticks!

Len
Old 07-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Flew my H9 Raptor today.
I left off the trainer stuff,
I have a Super tiger 51 installed. prop 11.8.
The CG is at 5 3/4", THe flaps are at 45 degrees, the ailerons at 1/2" low rate...3/4" at high rate.
The elevator is 1" at low rate, 1 1/2" at high rate, rudder at 1/4". Also, I trimmed the motor up a couple of degrees after reading comments on the Rcuniverse forum that this is what several flyers had to do.
The first try at a flight I was using a 12.6 prop.....flaps up. It took about 100 feet to lift off and reached about a foot off the ground and about twenty feet from the tall grass at the end of the runway so I had to abort takeoff. It dropped and busted the prop as it ran into the grass.....luckily the broken prop was the only damage.
The next try I had put on a 11.8 prop. I dropped the flaps this time and made sure I had the whole runway to play with. This time the Raptor left the ground after about 120 feet run.
At first it was tricky....and I had to "fly" it constantly and carefully....it wanting to yaw at very little aileron control. I set the aileron to low rate and that smoothed things out very well. This suprised me a bit because I wondered at the manuals instruction to set aileron travell at 3/16". Also I found I had to dial in a fair amount of rudder trim to the right. I made sure I had enough low throtle for landing and I was pleasantly suprised at a very nice landing.
I havn't flown it with the wing tip trainer extentions on it but for sure without them installed as far as I am concerned it is not close to being a trainer. At least this is the case with my Raptor and the way I had configured it. All though until it got off the ground I would have declared it under powered, but once in the air it was fast and responsive.
I am looking forward to the next flight.

Paulwr
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I was going to try a 10x8 first, then maybe the 11x8.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 AM

Hey tman, (I'm the owner of the F-22 that Len has been test flying) based on the info that I've seen and the discussions between Len and I while he was flying it with different props you probably should go straight to the 11x8. We are going to try an 11x9 in the next couple days (time permitting).

Kevin
Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 AM

I have a ST 51 in mine and have only tried a 12.6 and then the 11.8. On my second flight a had flaps down as well and it got off the ground okay and it was very fast and responsive in the air.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM

My LHS has an 11x9 only, so I'll give that a shot instead of the 11x8. I've read others also having good luck with the 10x8, more rpm I guess. I'll give them both a try.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Bumping this thread up, anyone use a 10x8 yet. Just picked up the 11x9 to try.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Tlejojo advised me not to use flaps. I did on my second flight with a ST 51, 11.8 prop....and flaps down (because on the first flight the flaps were up prop 12.6, and I never got really airborne')..
On my second flight I did get off the ground after a long run and during the first 5 or 6 seconds it did look touchy but once I got up speed it really flew nice.
A day later I tried again. It got off the ground after a long run but it started to climb and I lost control and it crashed into some small trees.....damaged both wings. I think that Telejojo was right. I didn't get enough airspeed, stalled and consequently lost control.
I'm not sure at this point how significant the 11.8 APC prop was but on my second flight the raptor was very fast and responsive...again I blame the flaps down mostly for my crash.

Takeoff on the next flight will be without the flaps...live and learn.
Paulwr
Old 08-01-2007, 03:34 PM

I intend to use flaps for landings and possibly for takeoffs. Minimize them on takeoffs and you'll be fine with flaps.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM

Thanks tman,
I suspect that much of my flap problem is excessive flap travel especially for takeoffs. I do use flaps for takeoffs on my CG Chipmunk and my GP Lancair with success.
I will reduce flap travel for my next flight on the Raptor.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Psyco

Doc one question, what is the material you guys are using for your runway? Our N-S is paved and our E-W is grass, if economically feasible your solution might provide us with an option for the E-W...
It is some sort of conveyor belt material. The Triple Creek R/C club down the road from us uses it in their pits. I can't swear what is is or where we got it because it was there before I jointed, but I'm sure one of our officers would know.

http://www.largoflyingclub.com/

or..................

http://largoflyingclub.com/our_offic..._directors.htm

Just don't ask the safety officer. He doesn't know anything.

EDIT: Oh, and funny how this thread turned into a discussion between guys who like the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.