Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Fuel proof clear coat over Krylon >

Fuel proof clear coat over Krylon

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fuel proof clear coat over Krylon

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel proof clear coat over Krylon

Any suggestions??
Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 PM
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel proof clear coat over Krylon

Top Flite Lusterkote. Let the Krylon cure for a good week and then light coats of Lusterkote.

You can also use Minwax Polycrylic which is water based.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use automotive 2 part clear. I have it put in a spray can. It is god stuff. Look and see if you have an automotive paint store that will mix and put in a can for ou.

Dru.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I use automotive 2 part clear. I have it put in a spray can. It is god stuff. Look and see if you have an automotive paint store that will mix and put in a can for ou.

Dru.

Are you talking about DuPont Imron epoxy paint? They can put custom color auto paint in a spray can? No kidding.

Bill
Old 02-20-2009, 06:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You can also use Duplicolor clear spraybombs. Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, and AutoZone sell it. Pretty good paint, dries quick and durable. Not quite as fuelPROOF as LustreKote, but fairly RESISTANT, as long as you clean it after the last flight of the day. I use it when compatibility issues with LustreKote occur, although I have used LustreKote over both Krylon and Rustoleum. Like said above, make sure the undercoat is well cured, and lightly mist on the first couple of coats of LustreKote, or the solvent in the lacquer (LustreKote is an acrylic lacquer) will soften the other paint and wrinkle it.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 PM

like phatbob02 says lusterkote from top flight. comes in flat clear and crystal clear. however if painting a body....lusterkote is not designed to flex with the lexan body. it is for airplanes. it will crack off after a while.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCZW5&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCZW4&P=ML
Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: khodges

You can also use Duplicolor clear spraybombs. Advance Auto, O'Reilly's, and AutoZone sell it. Pretty good paint, dries quick and durable. Not quite as fuelPROOF as LustreKote, but fairly RESISTANT, as long as you clean it after the last flight of the day. I use it when compatibility issues with LustreKote occur, although I have used LustreKote over both Krylon and Rustoleum. Like said above, make sure the undercoat is well cured, and lightly mist on the first couple of coats of LustreKote, or the solvent in the lacquer (LustreKote is an acrylic lacquer) will soften the other paint and wrinkle it.

Thank you kh, so noted and I have an AutoZone right near by.

Bill
Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I would NOT use the automotive clear coat Duplicolor. I put that on my cowl recently, over some other non-fuel proof paint. It goes on nice, does not react to below, but it turns to jelly when glow fuel hits it. At least mine did. And I had ample time (week or more) between putting the clear coat on over the lower coats, and between running the engine and the clear coat application. Fuel was 15% nitro. I am waiting on some Lusterkote clear in my TH order, and will spray that over the cowl. Jon
Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Thank you.

Bill
Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 PM

Just a thought for some people
The 2 part paint that they put in the spray cans will set up in the can if not used with in their time limits[:@]
Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I too use the two part automotive clear. It's expensive to buy, since it comes in quarts, but I've been on the same quart for several years now and the results are simply fantastic. Definitely use a respirator and have the ventilation going, and wear rubber gloves.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Just a thought for some people
The 2 part paint that they put in the spray cans will set up in the can if not used with in their time limits[:@]

That makes sense considering that it's probably epoxy paint like DuPont Imron.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: phatbob02

Top Flite Lusterkote. Let the Krylon cure for a good week and then light coats of Lusterkote.

You can also use Minwax Polycrylic which is water based.

That's what I do... and I also use Rust-oleum Enamel. What's [8D] about that is there paints match some of the Ultra coverings that Horizon sells.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ssounds like someone needs to market one step fuelproof paint.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This model is cleared with DuPont Imron. Great product!

The black shadow in the lettering is One Shot brushing enamel, the gold leaf is real gold leaf and the remaining colors are automotive paints.

Suit up and ventilate.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60538.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1148186  
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a thought but why not just buy some Klass Kote two part epoxy clear? The two parts mix 50/50 then thin to about 50% or more to go through a spray gun. It goes a long way and is bullet proof. You can buy in most any color or use cheap paint then use the KK clear. As long as it isn't mixed it will last forever. Why fool around, the KK is a modelers dream just like the old K&B two part paints.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 AM

I just orderd nelson's clear around $28.00 for a quart thats with the crosslink.I tested waterbase pollyurathane,it's no good,cost me $11.00 just to say it's no good[&o] I will let you know how nelson's is when I use it.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: cowboydfk

I just orderd nelson's clear around $28.00 for a quart thats with the crosslink.I tested waterbase pollyurathane,it's no good,cost me $11.00 just to say it's no good[&o] I will let you know how nelson's is when I use it.

If it works I'll award you the "Blue Max".

Bill
Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

I for one am very interested. I use the oil based polyurethane to topcoat latex paint jobs. This works great unless your using some lighter colors and then the yellowing is a real problem. On the WW1 planes it was a blessing in disquise and added a realistic weathering to the planes. Up next are a couple of giant scale WW2 birds. I am considering using the Nelson's as well. I have not used this topcoat in the past but have used Dupont products. They work great with lots of clean up and a stink that my wife is not happy with (nor am I). Wonduful lady never compains, gotta keep her happy, and healthy so we can grow older together.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 AM
My Feedback: (2)

This may seem like a silly question but i have to ask any way. As any one confirmed that Krylon clear is NOT glow fuel proof? With the new spray nozzle that Krylon is using it sprays out great. It almost makes me want to toss the Badger detail gun aside.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Throw some raw fuel on it and tell us,just don't try water base polyurathane,it's not fuel proof
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I've been using finishing epoxy for clearcoating. Its thin and gives a fabulous glossy finish. For this application, you don't want to use the Z-poxy resins, as they dry with an amber color. The generic hobbyshop finishing resin has worked very well. You can wipe it on with a clean rag, and it will spread out into a nice finish.

Brad
Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 AM

I am not sure that you need to fuel proof Krylon. I dumped raw 15% fuel on a sample painted with Krylon and it had no effect on the paint at all. Perhaps like Rustoleum some colors seem to be fuel proof while others do not but the "Bright Idea Yellow" that i sampled yesterday definately is fuel proof. Needless to say i was very surprised at the results. The paint had been sprayed about one week ago. At this point i don't know if that makes a difference or not but will do some further testing. With the new nozzle design that is being used Krylon sprays out even better than it did earlier.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 AM

what i have found with many paints is there not fuel proof atall , especially nitro proof. water based acrylics forget it, turps base enamels forget it, acrylic laquer forget it. thinner based auto enamels foget it. polyurethane single pack paints , forget it.
the only full fuel / methanol , nitro proof paint material is a 2 pack thinner based product. so if your paint comes only in one can , forget it as 2 pack paints come in 2 cans, ie; base color 1 and hardner 2.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: freeair

what i have found with many paints is there not fuel proof atall , especially nitro proof. water based acrylics forget it, turps base enamels forget it, acrylic laquer forget it. thinner based auto enamels foget it. polyurethane single pack paints , forget it.
the only full fuel / methanol , nitro proof paint material is a 2 pack thinner based product. so if your paint comes only in one can , forget it as 2 pack paints come in 2 cans, ie; base color 1 and hardner 2.
Perhaps you cannot get Krylon. I am continuing testing Krylon but so far it is fuel proof at least to 15% nitro. That is the highest content fuel i own. Further to that, i sprayed flat clear Krylon on a latex painted sample yesterday and there were no compatibility issues at all, which actually surprised me too but it is what it is! In another day or two i will do a nitro fuel test on the clear coated latex and report my findings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.