Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Two ARF maidens. What a day!!!! >

Two ARF maidens. What a day!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Two ARF maidens. What a day!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
My Feedback: (221)

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Two ARF maidens. What a day!!!!

Took two new planes to the field Sunday afternoon and had a great time!!!!!! Watched 83 yr old Miles Reed put on a show with his 40% Weeks Special, then got to fly two new planes of my own. During pre-flight of my new Skyshark Christen Eagle, I found that, with right aileron input, the engine cut out. Very strange and had everyone there working with me to figure that one out. Got her fixed and finished the normal range check and all, then took her up for her first flight. Uneventful take off and a nice trim flight, (as best I could in the 10-12 knot cross wind). Landed safely on the third approach in the almost direct cross wind. Then, after a couple others had flown, put my new Phase 3 F-16 to the air for the first time. WHAT A BLAST! This little plane flys like it is on rails in a moderate wind, and down wind, she is really movin. Looks great in the air too. I recommend her to all who like a fast fly by with an EDF jet. She also slows to a crawl and handles very well even with the fan shut down. Everything that everyone had brought out went home in tact. GREAT FUN!!!!!! Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49215.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	971731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86997.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	971732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81332.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	971733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45524.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	971734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11447.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	971735  
Old 06-16-2008, 12:51 PM
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Two ARF maidens. What a day!!!!

congrats, thats a great feeling. I have 4 birds I need to maiden myself and look forward to it

keep them flying!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ram3500-RCU

What did you to fix the interference problem. Was it electrical or what???

Some of us might be able to use the info some day ourself.

Congratulations on you sucessful day. May they all be the same.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:03 PM

Sorry guys. I guess I left you all hanging on this one.

I used an optic idolater as an on off switch for the ignition which I intended to have on a transmitter switch. On this plane, I used a Y on the ailerons, so aux #2 (normally the left aileron mixing channel on my 9303) was not used. This was the one I plugged the optic switch into. Big mistake. It was still working when I gave left aileron and was cutting out the isolator plugged into it. It took about 20 minutes to figure all this out. I simply switched to aux #4 on the receiver, and adjusted the travel on that channel, and now the cut-off works great, with no radio glitching due to the optic connection. On this plane, all the radio gear is accessible under the removable canopy hatch, so it was easy to fix without taking the wings off. I love the design by Sky Shark.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:06 PM

One more thing. I went to an Ohio RC tail gear that gets the tail wheel back behind the rudder for a longer wheel base on this type (I think you can see it in the picture). It really helps with ground handling.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go on your TWO maidens!!!! (one is usually enough for me on any given day) The Christen Eagle is one sharp bird; what power setup are you using?

Miles Reed is 83 years young? What a treat to hear he's still flying his planes. Watched him many times as he flew at Clarksburg, WV in the mid seventies when I lived there. Still flying at 83, eh...?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, we want to know what engine is in the Eagle. I have one on the back burner, seeing yours has made me want to skip a couple of projects and get right on it!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:21 PM

OK guys. Here ya go.

She has an FPE 2.4 (40cc) turning a Zoar 20 X 10 prop. Gas is 93 octane with Schaffers Syntec 2000 oil at 50-1 (the engine is broke in). I have the choke and optic on-off on transmitter switches. I intended to fit it with a Byson Pitts style muffler and ordered one. Waited 6 weeks, and when it came, it was the wrong one.

I decided to just mount the stock FPE muffler and fly the darn thing. It required another hole for the pipes, but the chamber fit in the large Eagle cowl just fine. It looks OK I think.

Power with this set-up?..........GREAT. It will do nice torque rolls and such, after I get some time on her. She leaps into the air, if I like. Plenty of reserve power.

I had a DL 50 sitting on the bench, but the plane just doesn't need it.

It balanced perfectly with no dead weight.

Name:	He97399.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	971952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75817.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	971953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci97963.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	971954  
Old 06-16-2008, 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: sqeakalong

Way to go on your TWO maidens!!!! (one is usually enough for me on any given day) The Christen Eagle is one sharp bird; what power setup are you using?

Miles Reed is 83 years young? What a treat to hear he's still flying his planes. Watched him many times as he flew at Clarksburg, WV in the mid seventies when I lived there. Still flying at 83, eh...?
Yes, and you wouldn't believe it to see him fly. His take off Sunday was still.......break ground, roll inverted, then snap to right side up, all still within 15ft AGL with a 40% bipe! And that is just the beginning. He does it all low and in close. He says he can't see good anymore, if it gets out too far. But we know better.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 PM

whats going ram glad to hear about the madden do you know that I have still not madden the patty but this week i surly will I want a b plane so badd tell me something was the one you got hard to build are pretty much eyes close (meaning did you have to fabricate much thank
Old 06-16-2008, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: lill will

whats going ram glad to hear about the madden do you know that I have still not madden the patty but this week i surly will I want a b plane so badd tell me something was the one you got hard to build are pretty much eyes close (meaning did you have to fabricate much thank
Hello ill will. Good to hear from you. This Sky Shark bipe was a joy to assemble. They really do a great job. They actually still do R & D prior to releasing a model to the public (as it should be). So what you get works. I did change a few things like the push rods to the top wing, and made an aluminum instrument panel for it, and then the usual addition of glue to the cabane and gear mounts, to mention a couple, but she really is a very well engineered model, and almost completely true to scale. I scored the new kit on eBay CHEEEEEEEP, and it was shipped to me directly from Sky Shark. I talked to them personally. Nice folks.

Hope that Patty maiden goes well. Balance it on the front side of the range at first, or slowing for a landing will be a challenge. I flew her with an 8" pitch prop and used spoilerons for that reason, after I got the CG far enough back for 3D performance. You will love that plane.

My Patty died last fall in a low inverted pass that got tooooo low. Her organs were donated to my new Yak. All is well.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 AM

yes I remember I am very interested in that bi plane there what is the wing span and also to go back allitle do you feal safe with balenceing a plane with the string metod
Old 06-17-2008, 12:32 AM

yes I remember I am very interested in that bi plane there what is the wing span and also to go back allitle do you feal safe with balenceing a plane with the string metod
I was taught by Miles to balance a bipe by lifting it with a finger placed just in front of the rear cabane where it mounts to the top wing. I have found this to be a very good practice after many different bipes balanced in this way. On other planes, I still use the wing tip method, getting help with larger planes. Laterally, I suspend from the engine crank and tail.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:34 AM

ok y ea problem is not to many people can help me lift up 17 pounds with there fingers
Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 AM

hay ram I was noticing that there is a flyen coming up there are you going? http://www.willardrcfunflyers.com/WillardFunFly08.pdf
Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 AM

hay ram I was noticing that there is a flyen coming up there are you going? http://www.willardrcfunflyers.com/WillardFunFly08.pdf
Yes. I am going to try and make it.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:49 AM

yea I think i am too
Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 AM

ok y ea problem is not to many people can help me lift up 17 pounds with there fingers
Usually doesn't take much lifting to see how close you are. I do planes over forty pounds this way.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 AM

what the wing span on the bipe
Old 06-17-2008, 12:52 AM

what the wing span on the bipe
Top wing is 66".
Old 06-17-2008, 12:52 AM

ok thanks boss again
Old 06-17-2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks, rams. Have lots of fun with your bipe...she's a beaut. ....and tell Miles the "Clarksburg boy" is STILL impressed with his flying antics! [X(]
Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM

Thanks, rams. Have lots of fun with your bipe...she's a beaut. ....and tell Miles the "Clarksburg boy" is STILL impressed with his flying antics! [X(]
Will do. I wish I had gotten a picture of him flying last week end (I was occupied with trying to get my new planes up safely). I will try to get one this coming week end and post it here.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks, rams. It would be nice to see a pic of Miles..you know, he always took the time to listen to my questions and gave thoughtful answers to the newbie standing in front of him. The '70's and '80's were good times at the flying field. Thanks for bringing up some fond memories. Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks, rams. It would be nice to see a pic of Miles..you know, he always took the time to listen to my questions and gave thoughtful answers to the newbie standing in front of him. The '70's and '80's were good times at the flying field. Thanks for bringing up some fond memories. Soft landings. Joe
Miles hasn't changed. He still enjoys talking and sharing tips with us all, young, or old, new or not so new to the hobby, and he really likes those maidens. He still is asked to fly many of them, and is always up for the task. I don't remember the last time he lost one. He was asked on Sunday to maiden the red plane with the tip tanks that can be seen in the background of one of my pictures. He was ready, but then the plane had some mechanical problems that scrubbed the attempt. Here is a picture of that 'almost maiden' by Miles Reed. This is a scratch built plane by one of the club members. He even vacu-formed his own canopy. It is an Italian design, I think.

Name:	Yw67150.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	972836  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.