Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CD Ignition wire replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD Ignition wire replacement.

I have this unit on my Mustang and i like to get it's ignition wire and plug cap replaced with out sending unit to CDI guys at this time.

Who others can do this for me locally as on CDI's website the are selling replacement Accel 5mm cable and plug caps separately also.

Would small engine shops or lawn mover shops be capable of replacing these 2 items for me....
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Default RE: CD Ignition wire replacement.

What brand name is the ignition. ??

Milton
Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he's talking about S/S Machine's unit.

http://www.cncengines.com/rc.html
Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Here is the unit presently on my Nosen P51B....It says "CD Electronic Ignition", its brown unit, address is hidden under kill servo that is glued on the unit....

You can see why i need to get this wire replaced, it's working but it's not in its better condition anymore.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25360.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1659400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66713.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1659401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59594.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1659402  
Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the CH one with it's zip code. Get in touch with Jody at Valley View R/C. Dan.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Yes, that's a CH Ignitions unit. The color of the box tells me it's a fixed timing box, has throttle coupled timing advance. I don't have that type ignition and the average Joe or saw shop cannot (should not) repair it. I can offer you a CH Ignition replacement that is auto advance but it will require minor engine modification. If you can do that yourself great but I'm not sure.

That ignition is repairable and if that's the route you want to go you need to contact Adrian <font size="2">@ [email protected]

Those ignitions are becoming more and more rare, they are the best ignitions made bar none, they warrant and deserve a little more thoughtful and careful use.

</font>
Old 09-07-2011, 07:32 PM

Hi Jody,

What engine modification are you suggesting to do if i decided to get replacement unit from you.
Engine on my Nosen P51B is: Sach 4.2 70CC gas engine. It already have been once rebuilt some years go.

Sam

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM
tkg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF your interested, that ignition is over 20 years old. Maybe a replacement is in order.
If the case is pop riveted the coil is suspect too. It would be a paper wrapped Model Electric designed in the 30's[:@]
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about getting a little Zenoah coil, and using the circuitry of the CH unit? I bought one of the CH "circuit board only" and did that once...

Some of the older 16cc Echos had a similar small coil.

AV8TOR
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

How about getting a little Zenoah coil, and using the circuitry of the CH unit? I bought one of the CH ''circuit board only'' and did that once...

AV8TOR
AV8TOR,

I would have considered your suggestion only if i was good with electronic tinkering, i'm not so i'll leave it to guys in know/how do it for me.

Cheers,
Sam
Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

How about getting a little Zenoah coil, and using the circuitry of the CH unit? I bought one of the CH ''circuit board only'' and did that once...

AV8TOR

AV8TOR,

I would have considered your suggestion only if i was good with electronic tinkering, i'm not so i'll leave it to guys in know/how do it for me.

Cheers,
Sam

Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Hi Jody,

What engine modification are you suggesting to do if i decided to get replacement unit from you.
Engine on my Nosen P51B is: Sach 4.2 70CC gas engine. It already have been once rebuilt some years go.

Sam
You would need to able to set the timing withinstructions that come with the ignition andyou'd have to lock the timing/sensor ring into a fixed position that facilitates the correct timing setting. Then remove thetiming link rod from the belcrank, the belcrank stays forthe throttle.

To lock thetiming ring you would drill through ittowards the crankcase with a #43 drill bit, stop the drill just as it touches the case, tap the hole for a #4-40 socket headed cap screw that's about 1/8" longer than needed to reach the crankcase. The bottom of the hole will be void of threads because the tap has to stop at the case and can't go through, file thelast 1/8" - 1/4" of the set screw O.D.down a little so it will reach the crankcase without binding to tight and lock the ring in position. Ideally you would be able to pull the hub and timing ring off to perform the proceedure but it's not a requirement.

It doesn't matter if you get a replacement from me or another, if it's an auto advance unit the above procedure would be necessary. If you want to replace it with another fixed timing unit give the email address I posted for youa yank and leave the sensor ring as is.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 PM

Jody,

I would do it if i had the equipment to do this mod myself, i guess i will now have to send ignition system to Adrian so cable and plug cap could be replaced...

I will contact him tomorrow and see what he says about how to ship it to him and charges inclusive...

Sam
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 PM

I'm sure Adrian will take good care of you.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Wasn't Ralph getting some 0* curve boxes from RCXL?? I thought I remember him talking about being able to still get them from Xu Lang(sp)..

Rick
Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 AM

These guys can fix you right up with a kit to update. Or you can send it to them. I dont think they are that far from you.

http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html

I have an old 3.2 with that same ignition Im about to send in to them to update.

WBG
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM

WarbirdGuy, let see what Adrian quotes me and then i will email guys in ur link. Mind you they didn't mention a thing about dealing with Ignition systems on the website...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:49 AM

The old brown box ignitions are just that, very old and should be replaced. 10 years or more. Even if you repair the cap and wire the odds are that ignition won't last much longer, if it continues to work at all.

You could replace with another fixed advance position or replace with an auto advance. The auto advance only requires the engine have the sensor locked in a 28* BTDC position relative to the hub magnet. A hole or two is drilled in the timing ring and threaded to accept a set screw. The set screw locks the ring in place at the 28* position. Plug in the ignition and fly. The instructions that Jody would provide are quite explanatory and simple to accomplish, If you can read and use an electric drill you can handle the operation.

To re-use the old, old ignition puts that Nosen at risk when it fails. It will fail. Electrical components have an aging factor that should not be ignored.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 AM

Not true, Im still running same CH ignition on my 3.2. Most failures were due to the magnet coming out of the hub and hitting the pickup. Then, most got smart and put the magnet in the hub paralell to the crankshaft and the pick up behind the hub instead of around it If mine goes out, I will have it updated.

Props4ever, I know they dont list the components, but, when I inquired about doing some repairs on my engine, I asked them about updating it to newer ignition. He said he could do it with no problems.

Im putting my 3.2 on another airplane this week. Weather finally broke here and it is beautiful outside

WBG
Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 AM

If you say so. After a few thousand CH and CH style ignitions I doubt I've learned anything about them yet. Or how long coils last.

We'll go with your recommendation.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:57 PM

How can i find if my engine has advance timing on it, the reason is both companies i emailed came back with option to get newer ignition system with advance timing capability.....

Looks like cost or shipping n repairs will come very close to cost of getting newer type ignition system, if i can find if my engine is capable of hooking up to advance timing system then i'll get that instead.

But pulling out engine from this plane is big job n i don't know how it's mounted in as there are screws going in from sides of the fuselage also, so pls don't ask me to do this....
Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM

if you have an engine that has linkage that runs from the carb to the timing ring, you have a mechanical advance ignition. If you do not have linkage, you have either a fixed or auto advance. The old brown box ignitions were usually mechanical advance.

I doubt the engine would have to come out of the plane. If there is access to the rear edge of the prop prop hub you probably have plenty of working room to make a change to an auto advance.

ALL engines are capable of adapting to auto advance ignitions. Some are just harder than others. Your Sachs likely has some type of Delrin (plastic/nylon) timing ring just over and behind the prop hub. That contains the hall sensor which would only need fixed in a non-movable position after establishing the advance to convert to auto advance. It really is quite simple but often sounds difficult. The only real issue is getting people to try something they have not done before. I did an ignition/sensor /timing change at a flying field for a kid last weekend. The only requirement to get the job done was a little time and a few small hand tools.

A pic of what you have would be most enlightening and permit further discussion for your assistance.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM

This video will help you set the timing. Dan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXFpxWg7vY
Old 09-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Doesn't anyone still make an ignition without the auto advance?
I have a G-62 with mechanical advance that rcing set up for me about 5 years ago
Old 09-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Not really.

DA and 3w screwed the pooch for everyone when they started promoting auto advance ignitions as "higher performance" and "better" than mechanical advance. Doesn't matter they were dead wrong, people bought them, and in doing so forced those making a better product to go backwards and start making auto advance instead. There was a period where if you had a mechanical advance ignition you could not sell it. Come to think of it, if you advertised an engine with a mechanical advance now you would have a pretty quiet mail box.

Same pair started the "superior" multi bolt prop hubs for the same reason. Sales gimmick. Sooooooooo many people still fall for them it's sickening. They'll even try to debate about how much better or safer they are with some late, great super widget. I can name 5 off the top of my head, but the loyal users would get pretty bent out of shape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.