Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Good first IMAC airplane

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good first IMAC airplane

I would like to start learning the basic routine, my question is what would be good first airplane?
thx
Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 PM

Default RE: Good first IMAC airplane

What size are you interested in and what is your preferred budget? For a plane that can really perform and is on the smaller end of the scale, look at the Extreme Flight 58" Extra 300. It's designed for electric, but they have a glow conversion kit. Perfect match for a YS-63S or Saito 82. There is an electric build thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71..._1/key_/tm.htm

And a glow build thread here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71..._1/key_/tm.htm

I just purchased their pattern plane (Vanquish) and service was awesome. The plane arrived two days later and looks great. I'm just waiting on a few parts to start the assembly.

If you want bigger planes, Extreme Flight has a 50cc Extra and Yak 54. Also check out QuiQue Model Aircraft company for Yak 54's (many sizes) or a 100cc Python. A guy at our field also has a Wild Hare RC Extra that flies great.

Just some ideas...
Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 PM

I would like to stay with the 40 and 60 size...

I really like the GP RV 4 and GP Extra....
Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM

The Extreme Flight 58" Extra is a 50 size. Comes in under 6 lbs.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 AM
My Feedback: (65)

You could try a Fusion 40 from OMP ... very capable for learning IMAC. I had one last year and it was limited only by my thumbs. Tracks very straight and flies light and crisp.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:00 AM

Good Morning propchief...there are a few variables to your question that really need to be addressed before selecting a good airplane for you to start with.

1) what is your building skill level & flying experience?
2) What is your estimated budget for the plane?
3) Who do you have around you that can lend a hand if needed?

The first question’s answer will determine what kind of plane to start looking at. The second question will determine the size and style of plane you will be able to build. The third question is who you can get to work with you in getting yourself set to work on the IMAC basic sequence maneuvers. A flyer really can’t and shouldn’t try to do IMAC by themselves.

If you will answer these questions then I will go to the next step with you. [8D]

Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 AM
My Feedback: (8)

delete.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM

I call things as I see them and no disrespect is intended here...gaRCfield, you goofed your thread posting up with a lot of gibberish junk that was detrimental to the guys that were trying to help you! Please don't do that to this man's thread. It's one thing to ruin your own venture, it's quite disrespectful to do that to some one else’s!

Thank you! [8D]
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
My Feedback: (8)

my apologies.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 AM

gaRCfield...Please express your thoughts! I'm only saying, lets help this man by just keeping focused on this man's question with out a lot of complicated interjections. Your thread got way out of hand by guys trying to talk about something they really knew nothing about and you feeding in on it.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 PM

Any "pattern" type plane would be great for basic. Even something like a Funtana or Showtime would be good and both of those come in the 40 size. Saito 82 maybe for the engine.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM

I think that the most imported thing is that you are familiar with your plane, how it flies and how it react in all maneuvres. I fly an Extra 300 L that works just fine in all maneuvres, my new plane is a Extra 300 SHP and I hope that I can get it ready to this season

/Paho01
Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What plane do you have now? That is the best plane to start IMAC with. Even a trainer can do Basic IMAC maneuvers. Though maybe not as well as some others but IMAC is not all about winning. Its about learning to really fly your plane in a 3-D space and controlling your plane in the wind vs. just reacting to what your plane has done. Fly a plane you are comfortable with. Upgrade to an aerobatic plane down the road. Most guys go 50cc to 150cc size. There are lots of planes on the market once you decide to stay in IMAC
Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 AM
My Feedback: (15)

Fly whatever you have in Basic. It is meant to get new guys to try it with whatever airplane they have. You can fly anything in basic. If you really get hooked, like I did, then buy something thats more suited for moving up in classes. I started with a Seagull .60 Edge. with a Saito .120. It was fine for Basic. But I got big plane envy seeing all the 40% planes there. My plane looked like a toy.
IMO a 40% airplane is the only way to go if you are serious about doing well in IMAC. They fly better and present better. If you cant go with a 40% then anything 50cc or larger will do ok. It really is true, bigger is better.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:12 AM

Hey guys, ParkZone just announced a "win it before you can buy it" giveaway for the Sukhoi- check out the link:

http://www.parkzone.com/promotions
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: nrhodes

Hey guys, ParkZone just announced a "win it before you can buy it" giveaway for the Sukhoi- check out the link:

http://www.parkzone.com/promotions
Not wanting to sound rude or anything, but what has a parkzone foamy got to do with IMAC and the guys original thread. Unless of course you have offered this link as your basic IMAC offering - then i appologise
Old 05-29-2009, 02:16 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: mxaexm

I would like to start learning the basic routine, my question is what would be good first airplane?
thx
[/quote To answer your question as put, 2 of the best first IMAC models would have to be the Katana 40 sized fitted with an 80 size 4 stroke or the Funtana 50 size fitted with a 110 size 4 stroke. both of these models are excellent in performance and not expensive to buy and set up , i have flown both and know how good they are with several wins over the higher class composite petrol powered monsters. i think this does become an issue with so many guys that have the dollars to spend on high end composite IMAC and PATTERN models as they really cant fly the smaller models as easy as the large ones are to fly, i have to laugh at these guys. anyway go for one of these 40 to 50 sizes and you will have great success.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:29 PM

I have a Funtana x 50 with a Saito 82. Love it. Really enjoying learning the IMAC basic with it. It also is a "fun" airplane besides. The 3D capabilities aren't bad! I have to agree that bigger is better though. I was flying along side a 100" Extra 300 in 20 mph wind. My practice session looked horrific while his was unaffected.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AeroWorks has two 60-90 size ARFs that are pretty good. They are smaller versions of their larger IMAC models. There is the Extra 260 and the Yak 54. Both have 60" wingspans and are the weight for 3D performance from a two cycle 60 glow. So they should almost duplicate the performance of IMAC competitive models AND look like them too. And looks matter to the judges. Show up with an Ugly Stick and it'll do the maneuvers, but won't suit the judges, and that's the drill.

I've just finished assembling the Yak54 and the design is almost identical to the 26% and larger birds only downsized to suit. It's also a premium kit. Excellent fit and hardware. And a number of things are already done for you. Example: the cowl is already setup to fit, holes drilled and blind nuts in the fuse to accept the attachment bolts. And those bolts have rubber backed washers. Yeah, it's a really nice ARF. I figure to maiden it tomorrow.

Their Extra 260 is the same size, reads like the Yak and pictures on their website suggest it's the same construction.

They've also got a 46-60 size Edge 540 that's actually about the same size as those two 60-size models. But it's lighter. I didn't see any interior pictures on their website, so got no idea what the construction looks like, but I'm guessing more than a 55 two cycle might be too much for it.

Give 'em a look. Those 3 planes fit what you're looking for to a T. http://www.aero-works.net/store/
Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH yeah, forgot to mention that mine has an OS61FX on it. I figure to see how it does with a 3 blade when it gets the propeller trials next week. Lots of IMAC guys use them since they give excellent performance AND are quieter as well. Win win
Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 PM

Hey darock.. Funny you bring up AeroWorks. That is the make of the Extra I mentioned. The owner of the Extra and I have become good friends. He even passed over the controls last week. If the smaller versions fly as well as the larger ones, you will not be disappointed. Needless to say, I'm now in the market for a gasser.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Glad I read this thread. These are exactly the questions I was looking to get answers to. I was with a few guys over the weekend at our field that were practicing for an event this weekend and I became very interested in IMAC.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I,m going to start practicing the Basics and just about have a GPUltra Sport.60 finished ,would this plane be a good one to start with ?
The planes I have flight ready.
4Star .40 Saito .72
Twist .40 Saito .72
Seagull Edge 540 Saito 1.00
2 GP SuperSkybolts Saito 1.00 and ST .90
GP US .60 {in about a week} .ST .75

I want to pick one airframe and stick with it for pratice and pratice only . Which plane would be best suited for a begginer to IMAC?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
My Feedback: (3)

The Ultra Sport will work great. They track really good and fly smooth. Stick time is the biggest factor.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM

I have a Showtime 90 about ready to fly, would it be a good plane to start with??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.