Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
 New Poll - Best overall 33-35% Plane - Help me decide >

New Poll - Best overall 33-35% Plane - Help me decide

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
Comp Arf 2.6 Yak
16.49%
Comp Arf 2.6 Extra
19.59%
QQ 102" Yak
18.56%
DR Hobbies 2.6 Extra
1.03%
TOC 35% Yak
10.31%
3W 36% Extra
1.03%
Carden 35% Edge or Extra
25.77%
Jtec Radiowave 34% Panzl 330
5.15%
Aerotech 35% Velox II
2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

New Poll - Best overall 33-35% Plane - Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 11:33 AM
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Poll - Best overall 33-35% Plane - Help me decide

I am looking at what I want to build / put together next. I have usually built my own planes and was really leaning toward a Carden Edge but I have seen a lot of Comp-Arfs lately and the no covering, etc...really is an attraction. I just don't know how they hold up to the test of time. I don't see too many old Comp-Arfs around.. not like I see Cardens any way. The ones I have seen are very well built and look simply amazing.. no covering job could come close.

I have experience with most of these planes from a builders standpoint as I have put together or seen in person nearly every one over the past year but I have not really had much of a chance to fly them (the planes I build for people I sometimes do the maiden or take the sticks, but rarely have I been able to see how the plane wrings out the way I like to fly) I am looking at moving up to 33% - 35% size and have the following planes on the radar screen. I have an interest in IMAC and 3D flying but I mostly fly for fun / freestyle / just messin around.

There are of course, quite a few other planes out there, but I will not buy any plane that is covered in China Kote so that rules out most of the others. I also prefer solid wings to built up, but I am open. I like the H9 planes, but I want something more sturdy to put my QQ 106 or DA in.

I am interested in hearing the opinions of owners of these planes and specifically getting the pros and cons of each. I also would like to hear opinions on durability, maintenance, and overall ownership experience.

Vote away!!
DP

Old 04-27-2005, 11:48 AM
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: New Poll - Best overall 33-35% Plane - Help me decide

Well, 50 flights into my 3.3m CompARF and its holding up great, but I take care of my stuff, it gets worked in flight though. I flew a 2.6m yak and loved it, besides the hitecs acting up, it was a awesome plane.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:56 AM

I just put my new H9 EDGE 540 to the test this last weekend at the Tucson IMAC and it did real well I have the DA-100 in it and JR8611's all around. I know the JR's are a bit of an over kill but that just me. I would put a pic in but I'm not sure how that is done.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:26 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Seriously consider the jtec panzl. It's an unbelivable flyer and the quality is top notch.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:16 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Planes plus 35% comp Edge.
Wild Hare 35% Extra330LX.
Wild Hare 33% Extra 260.
The new 106" planes from FMG, both the Extra and Edge.
Looking for a good comp. Sukohi for a DA-100 myself.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
My Feedback: (25)

I have the JTEC Extra 330SX... awesome plane, great construction, but haven't flown it yet... still waiting for the canopy to come in. Soild core wings, stabs, control surfaces... oh, and it's got Ultracote. Would be well suited for your 106 or DA-100.

The Wildhare 33% Extra 260 is supposed to be a sweet ride.... Hemple just won a freestyle event with it. I understand they come in light... a ZDZ-80 would be plenty. Plus... big bonus... solid core wings and Ultracote!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:35 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Hi
I have a 35% Radiowave Panzel, wow, great aerobatics and lands at walking speed...

Bill
Old 04-27-2005, 04:48 PM

the durability and flight characteristics of any cardens are second to none..un beatable
Old 04-27-2005, 05:24 PM

Im gonna have to go with the DR 2.6 Extra. Same as Comp ARF extra with no dihedral and a wing tube instead of carbon blade spar. Plus a painted DR is a little cheaper than the Comp ARF. If DR Hobbies will ever come out with the 2.6 Yak, I will be all over that like a duck on a june bug.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Here's another to consider:
Genovese Brothers DR109
Probably the lightest wing loading for this size plane, similar to the Romanbuilt Extra.
http://gbaircraft.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

OK so you need a better sales job...
Check out the video......http://www.rocha-n-roll.com/images/G...&%20Diablo.wmv
Old 04-27-2005, 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: flier

Planes plus 35% comp Edge.
Wild Hare 35% Extra330LX.
Wild Hare 33% Extra 260.
The new 106" planes from FMG, both the Extra and Edge.
Looking for a good comp. Sukohi for a DA-100 myself.

I looked at all these... the PP and Chip Hyde planes are covered in China Kote (never again)
The wild hares are very nice planes but I am not a big fan of the color schemes..(not that they are bad, they just don't do anything for me) if they had a big ARC I might think about it but I am tired of buying a plane and stripping the covering (which I paid for) only to have to recover it again (and pay more).. if I am going to go through that I might as well build a Carden or buy a Comp-Arf - the priice ends up about the same.
The FMG planes look like spectacular models.. that web site has some of the best paintwork I have ever seen on a plane.. but I am prett sure they are either Comp-Arfs (i.e. old fiber classics .. I think the originals were made in Germany), and. like the 3W's the exchange rate makes them unattractive / too costly. There were no prices listed anywhere so that alone tells me $$$$

I am pretty sure I don't want a typical ARF as there are not many schemes I would leave alone. The Comp-Arfs I would have to live with, they are awesome anyway. I would not get a plain white composite plane. The paint would weigh too much and kill the performance. Besides painted in the mold is the only way to go there...

I am leaning toward the Comp-Arf or the Carden at this point... but still open to everyone's ideas... I don't think I want anything with a built up wing.. I don't know if they would last the way I fly (lots of snaps).

I really do like that Panzl.. it also comes in ARC form... and it has solid core wings.. hmmmmm decisions decisions..

SELL ME ON THEM!! Lets see some pics and hear more about how your choice of plane flies!

DP

Old 04-27-2005, 07:12 PM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: desertpig

The wild hares are very nice planes but I am not a big fan of the color schemes..(not that they are bad, they just don't do anything for me) if they had a big ARC I might think about it but I am tired of buying a plane and stripping the covering (which I paid for) only to have to recover it again (and pay more).. if I am going to go through that I might as well build a Carden or buy a Comp-Arf - the priice ends up about the same.

DP

Why not order a WH in a solid colour, like white, then put on your own scheme?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:27 PM
My Feedback: (172)

I basically like to mess around with my flying, I have 3 H9's, Edge540, Extra300 , and Cap232. All with ZDZ 80s. For this airplane it is the way to go. I looked a QQ's 102 in Yak manual and it looks like a winner. He's taken his bigger Yak and shrunk it done to a nice 100 size ship. If you don't want to build, I think it's the way to go. It's set up for canister mufflers, Ulticote covering. If you want the hottest plane in wood, I'd go for it, other wise the 2.6 Comp Yak Arf looks good as well. The Yak54 is the hottest plane out there, now. Look at what's going on with Extreme Flights smaller 50 size. People are claiming it's one of the best flying 50 size planes. Well that's my 2 cents worth. Have fun !!!
Rick
Old 04-27-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my plane of choice. Flies well and 3Ds well if the CG is aft. It does pick up a lot of speed on the downline and is not nearly as durable as a well-built wood plane. If I were to do it over again I'd try to find a Radiocraft 35% Extra, or get a Radiowave Extra.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80613.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	263959  
Old 04-27-2005, 08:05 PM

I have over 150 flights on my 2.6m Composite-ARF Extra and it still looks brand new. Nothing has been done since the original assembly. And best of all it flies great!

Name:	If10593.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	263972  
Old 04-27-2005, 08:07 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Carden is really a great looking plane- you would need to be careful to keep the weight off of it and it should fly great.

Comp ARF- many of these out there with satisfied owners. For my taste they seem very speedy, though (Concur with Ryan)

In my mind, the best ever in this size was the Radiocraft Extra 330. I believe that the J-Tech Extra is about the same thing- the rudder is larger and the canopy is smaller. I spoke with Al at Radiowave and he indicated that he can get you the "Radioworks style" larger canopy if you want it. I would consider this strongly.

Dave
Old 04-27-2005, 08:25 PM
EJB

For this flying season it looks like the Yak & the Extra 260 are the "must-have-latest-best-flying-you-can't get-any-better-flying-plane,"that you can get.

I saw the QQ 102" Yak at Toledo & I was impressed.By far the best ARF I have seen so far.The covering & paint job on the cowl matched anything I've seen by the "pros".Not bad for $1,200.
Since I've got two Extra's,a Sukhoi,& an Edge, I decided to go with a Yak for the DA 100 that I got for X-Mas.

Not much to choose from:
the 35%QQ Yak,35%Composite Arf Yak,& the AeroTech 35% Yak kit.
Well...since I'm cheap & like to build I went with the Aero Tec Yak kit for $650.
Got on the !@#$%^ "list"back in December...just got an email from John at AeroTech that they will be shipping this week.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:56 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I have 18 flights on my Comp arf 2.6 Extra and so far, I'm happy with it. Dmichael, I was hoping you were going to help me out with the trimming.

Neil
Old 04-27-2005, 09:17 PM

Personally I dig this scheme. The stab bottoms are the same as the wing bottoms.

Name:	Pn37625.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	264011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33547.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	264012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60097.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	264013  
Old 04-27-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, desertpig, here ya go.

If you want a kit, the Aerotech series of 35% planes are just plain awesome. Extremely high quality and fly beautifully. I have the 35% Edge. The kits are sheeted foam wings and sheeted fuselages. Not beginner kits though.

I've been in the market for a plane in the 33-35% range for a DA100 I have. I've read a ton of stuff and talked to bunches of people, looked at all the stats and problems: Wild Hare, Comp-ARF, Chip Hyde, Plans Plus, Aeroworks, H9 and on and on. Most of them, except Wild Hare, have issues with something (covering, quality, not all that easy to finish, etc) I have come to the conclusion (it will be my next plane) that the QQ series of Yaks, specifically the 102" bird. Is the best thing out there right now. Expensive, but not the most expensive (comes with wing bags for christ sake). So thats my choice.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:33 PM

First off - thanks everyone for the PMs, pics and excellent feeback on this thread!!

I have made my decision. My first choice was a Carden, but after much wrestling with myself - I concluded I just don't have the time right now to build one and since my garage is not air conditioned .. even working part time in a 150* oven of a workshop is just not something I look forward to! So I looked for a good used Carden 35% anything close to me..... nada. So I ran some numbers, called up a few of the manufacturers... Comp-Arf (Jason), QQ, OMP, and 3W (AI) and decided on......

The QQ 102" Yak. I really liked the quality of the smaller Yak, and having met QQ in person and seing his large Yak as well as seeing what a genuine guy he is I figured I could not go wrong here. And for once ... I like the color scheme, I like the way the plane looks in semi-scale, I like the hardware kit.. it all just adds up. And the price including shipping was quite fair.

In all fairness - I really liked the Comp-Arf 2.6 Yak too, but it was not due in until mid-late May and it cost over $500 more. I just think for me at this point in my flying the wood plane makes the most sense anyway.

Now I just have to make up my mind on power... BME110, DA100, or QQ106... to can or not to can.... oh boy here we go again.. !

DP
Old 04-28-2005, 06:54 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I will start the war. BME 110, can't go wrong with it and LIGHT too.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 PM

RTK - Actually I was leaning toward the BME at first .. but it might actually be TOO light for this plane. I am tired of playing the jam everything forward game to balance a plane and I might have to do just that if I use the BME and plain mufflers. If I go with cans though on the BME I think the weight will balance out fine. Wayne at Somenzini.com said that the 106 with cans made it slighly nose heavy so the batts had to be located aft in the electronics bay... that works for me. The QQ106 install without cans balances perfectly and that is 2# more than the DA setup and almost 3 pounds heavier than the BME... Given that if I save 3 pounds in the nose with the BME I either will have to pack everything forward OR add weight anyway. Neither option is very attractive.

So I am thinking any of these combo's would probably work well.

BME 110 with cans (If I can get one).
3W 106QQ with mufflers (the PEFA cans add 1# and there are no specific short drop headers made to fit this plane so cans might be a hassle)
DA100 with mufflers or cans DA has short headers that will work so cans are still an option.

I would really like to do the cans as they sound so sweet but that adds a lot of cost, weighs more, and definitely makes things more of a pain to install.

I guess at this point I am leaning toward the DA100 with cans because I can get one in a few days along with all the exhaust parts , and of course, the engine is awesome.

DP

Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Well, I'm sure you already know you can't go wrong with a DA.

I just test-ran my DA100 on KS cans last night...and it couldn't have been easier.

I flipped it ign-off until I saw fuel make it to the carb. I then used a few more flips trying to figure out how to arm the fiber-optic ignition cut-off I have installed.

Once that was settled....the DA started on THE VERY FIRST FLIP. Straight out of the box without touching the needles, it was ripping a 27x10 mejzlik on the ground...probably going to have to step-up to a 28x10.

ORIGINAL: desertpig

I guess at this point I am leaning toward the DA100 with cans because I can get one in a few days along with all the exhaust parts , and of course, the engine is awesome.

DP

Old 04-28-2005, 08:19 PM
My Feedback: (11)

sorry to hear that you're not getting a carden!! i just got home from the field after flying my 35% extra. just started on my 3rd gallon on her!!
i'm running a da100 with ks rear exit cans and the new mtw headers. i was running the ks headers, but both cracked at the flexible hose solder joint. da was quick to send me out the new mtw's at no charge!!
while this is heavier than stock mufflers, the sound is awesome!! and i know in a few years everywhere is going to have a sound limit. my plane with cans is WAY quieter than my 30%, 3w75 , pitts muffler setup!!
can't go wrong with da!!!

tony

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.