Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 sig large sundancer arf >

sig large sundancer arf

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

sig large sundancer arf

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig large sundancer arf

has anyone built or flown this new arf ob sig it is byplane 71 inch w s 20 lb manuel calls for elevator throwes of 2in up 2in down on low rates sounds like a lot ????
Old 12-05-2006, 04:11 PM
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: sig large sundancer arf

Pusscat to fly, mine had a Fuji 64, weighed 16 pounds. I think the wing is weak, but a very nice plane.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:42 PM

I have one with a Brillelli 46cc gasser on it. It flies very nice and easy to handle. I do not do 3D so the 46cc flew it very nicely,just takes up alot of room and it take awhile to put togeher at the field. Nice ARF.

Gaines
Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 PM

Rich,

You da MAN! I have the Fuji BT64EI engine, NIB, and I'm looking for a good platform for it, for aerobatics and aerotowing. I was seriously considering the Sig Sundancer bipe for it.

What size prop? Good prop clearance?
What torque value on the servos (A/E/R)?
How bad did you have to hack up the cowl to get the Fuji to fit?
You don't have the plane anymore? Why? Was it the "weak wing"?

Thanks,

Don Bailey
Old 12-05-2006, 10:10 PM

I'm looking for a good platform for it, for aerobatics and aerotowing. I was seriously considering the Sig Sundancer bipe for it.

It's a good flying plane, the only vice it has is that when you give it full rudder it will do a outside barrel roll! Lots of roll coupling, but everything else is great.

What size prop? Good prop clearance?

I used what was recommended 22x10, there wasn't alot of prop clearance, but the thing I do best is land, so I never broke a prop. I'm the only one I know with a Kange WACO Bipe that didn't change or strengthen it's LG and I have a Saito 170R3 in it, never broke it's prop either. The Kange is a nice bipe also, a little shorter fuse, so it fits in my Grand Caravan assembled, the SunDancer wouldn't. The GP Aeromaster is a nice flyer also, I don't have one, but I've flown it. It flies about like the SunDancer, but almost no roll coupling. I would rate them GP Aeromaster, Kange WACO, then the SunDancer for acro flying, all very close.

What torque value on the servos (A/E/R)?

I used 4 s-5131 56oz for the ailerons, HS- 635mg ~ 90oz on the elevators, HS-645 on the rudder.

How bad did you have to hack up the cowl to get the Fuji to fit?

See pictures. I used a Bisson side muffler, the stock one would wipe out the whole stsrboard side of the cowl.

You don't have the plane anymore? Why? Was it the !QUOT!weak wing!QUOT!?

No. The lower wing snapped in half, then the top wing let go. I had grabbed the 6 minute epoxy when putting the wing joiners in rather than the 30 minute epoxy I thought I had, so I had joined the top wing, and was joining the bottom it started jelling. I quickly put some thick CA on the last half of the bottom wing joiner and slid it together. As a sailplaner I thought that's OK, I don't glue wing blades in, and it seemed strong. The top wing I never really liked. Go to the Sig site and download the manual you'll see, 16 pound airplane using 1/4 x 1 basswood wingblade []. If I where to build another it would have better wingblades, and be glued properly[:@], my bad there. My Kange uses 3/4 inch aluminum tubing for wing joiners, there not glued, I could take the wings apart like a sailplane's wing if I wanted to, (they say to glue them in though, I think).

Overall I would say:
The GP is probably the most Acrobatic of the three.
The SunDancer is the most docile of the three, and the best looking.
The Kange looses to the GP in snap maneuvers, but that's a good thing if you're aerotowing[8D], and do to the dark symmetrical color scheme which can be confusing, (it can be had in a all beige that you add trim too though).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98280.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	572474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91265.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	572475  
Old 12-05-2006, 10:14 PM

I didn't normally fly with the plastic prop. The wood one sucked my fueling line in when it started and broke, this was all I had with me.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:28 AM
My Feedback: (118)

I originally planned to use a Brison 3.2 in my Sun Dancer, but when I had the airframe on the bench I decided to use a ZDZ40 instead. The light airframe and wings did not seem to be up to the weight and vibration if I wanted this plane to live long. With the ZDZ40, with pitts muffler, the CG is spot-on with the flight battery pack under the cabanes. Servos are Fut9252's on the ailerons, JR8311's on elevators, JR8611 pull-pull on rudder & Fut3010 on choke & throttle.

The plane flies very light and the ZDZ40 has plenty of power. The rolls are anemic compared to the GP Ultimate, but the barn-door ailerons work well. I compare the flight characteristics to a big Stick. Easy to fly. The drag of the 2 wings do require that landings are done under power, not gliding idle.

I have seen 2 other Sun Dancer's with 3.2's flying and except for the slightly better vertical performance and higher landing speeds there is no difference. We have flown together as well and my maneuvers were consistently tighter and smoother. The additional weight of a larger/heavier engine is IMHO not worth it.

Safe Flying!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

flight characteristics to a big Stick.

You nailed it, a BIG STICK.

Do you have the roll coupling on the rudder?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:37 AM

I still fly and enjoy my Sundancer. I have a DA50 with pitts muffler in mine with JR 8411's all around. My only gripe is that the landing gear is soft. If you don't have a perfect landing you will bend the landing gear.

Do a search on this board. There has been much written about this ARF.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the info, Rich! I'm beginning to think the Sundancer may not be enough airframe for a hard-working tug. Sounds like the Fuji BT64EI is almost too much engine for it. I could sub-out the wing joiners for carbon blades, and strengthen the gear legs, and put tundra wheels on it for prop clearance, and get a Bisson for it, but it still seems a bit of a mismatch. Sounds like the Sundancer would be happiest with a smaller motor, for normal sport flying and smooth aerobatics.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:31 PM

I was going too try it as a tug before it broke, but it's not the best for aerotowing, maybe something like this...
http://www.cedarhobbies.net/index.ph...esc&product=22
Old 12-06-2006, 01:16 PM

Yeah, the Lift Meister is a possibility. I think I'll probably build my quarter-scale 108" Taylorcraft as a tug, with a beefed-up front end and lengthened gear. We'll see...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:17 PM

Rich,

I settled on the Giant Aeromaster bipe for my Fuji 64. I got the ARC version (bare naked) so I can cover it in a unique scheme. I'm leaning toward all yellow with red checkerboard, like a Bucker; we'll see. Also, I'm going to use a 10" Pacific Aero bumpy cowl, from their Gee Bee Y kit, for better looks, plus leave off the wheel pants and go with criss-cross treaded tires, a beefier tailwheel, fiberglass gear legs, and a redesigned (sexier) tail. I've heard the Giant Aeromaster can handle a big 64cc engine-- it was designed for the US41 originally.

I'll send up some piccies when I get the engine installed.

Don.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 PM

dgliderguy

Sound nice. I love the old bumpy cowl look. I put a Stinson Reliant SR-9 cowl on my scratchbuilt when I put a 52cc twin in it.

Name:	Qo40031.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	580993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46379.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	580994  
Old 12-21-2006, 06:45 AM
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: soarrich

ORIGINAL: blikseme300

flight characteristics to a big Stick.

You nailed it, a BIG STICK.

Do you have the roll coupling on the rudder?
Yes, roll coupling is more than typical aerobats but this is normal with most bipes. If you have mastered using all control surfaces then it is not visible in flight.

The Sundancer is a p*cat, pity Sig discontinued it.

Safe Flying!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:38 AM

What makes you think that Sig has discontinued the Sundancer? Sig has made no mention of this on their web site.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:29 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my new Sundancer, ordered from Sig, just a few weeks ago. I think what it is that this size of a Bipe doesn't have as large as a demand as smaller more transportable ones. I see alot of advertising on the smaller Sundancer but nothing on the larger but the Larger is still alive.
On another note, I have assembled more than 35 ARF's for me as well as other flyers at my field over the last 4 or 5 years. I have seen good Arf's and not so good ones. This Arf is very nice, way better than most I have worked on. When you consider the Quality of the wood, the standard hardware and the assembled product, it is wonderful.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:50 AM

blikseme300,
No, SIG has NOT discontinued our large Sundancer ARF. No reason to, it continues to sell well and customers still enjoy this model. I've been flying mine for the last four years or so with an F.P.E. 4.2 gas engine and it continues to deliver a great deal of enjoyment for me. I fly it hard and it has held up beautifully. Weak wing(s)? I don't think so. That said, is the Sundancer the best choice for a glider tug? Maybe - depends on who's flying it, I suppose - but my first choice would be something like the Rascal 110. The 110 has been a highly successful glider tug over in Europe for some time now and is capable of hauling up some seriously large sailplanes. The Rascal has a much longer tail moment and a more favorable aspect ratio, making it a lot more docile in the tug role, when properly powered for the task.

Merry Christmas from SIG!
Scott Christensen
SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:07 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Hello all, I looked at 3 other Bi-Planes and decided on the Sundancer. I have other Sig planes and have been happy with the quality. This plane should be a great addition to my fleet. This is also my first Bi-Plane.

I have a G62 mag ign. and a Sachs 4.2 with elec ign. I'm leaning toward the Sachs 4.2 this should be more than enough engine for this plane even if it weighs in at 17-19 pounds.

Only thing that I'm confused on is the wing struts. One is raw aluminum and the other is painted yellow. From what I see in pictures they are both painted white. Anyone know?
Old 12-24-2006, 03:10 PM

The interplane struts are yellow and match the yellow covering. The top wing to fuselage connections are aluminum and are not painted.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:38 PM

The top wing to fuselage connections are the ones I was refering too. One is yellow and one is aluminum. Is this correct?
Old 12-24-2006, 04:56 PM

The top wing to fuselage struts (2 of them) on my Sig Sundancer are both aluminum in color. They should be the same color. The interplance struts between the wings are yellow (2 of them). Contact Sig or the dealer you purchased from.

I can send you a picture if you wish to confirm in that manner.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:50 AM

Bipeaddict thanks for the information. I'll contact Sig and at the same time I'm going to make sure I have the correct aluminum wing strut fittings. I been reading all the threads I can find on this plane and see name in others.

What did you do about your landing gear?

I'm thinking of a G62 or a Sachs 4.2 because I have them sitting here on my shelf. I read you have a DA-50 how is the vertical performance?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 12-26-2006, 09:18 AM

I purchased a second landing gear from Sig. The second doesn't seem as soft as the first one. However, if your landing isn't smooth you will be bending the landing gear back into position. If you can find a carbon fiber gear that fits and doesn't delaminate then go for it. Otherwise, smooth landings are the key.

I like the DA50 but I think I am sitting at 18 lbs. I have unlimited verticle but it is not with authority. Everyone in my clubs have complimented on the plane and the way it flys.

I have been experimenting with different propellors. I am about to try a PT Models CF 23x8 prop instead of the the Mejzlik 23x8. The PT weighs less. For wood props I like the NX props.

Try to keep the model light. I have way too much battery on board. But I can fly all day with no worries. Go with a light weight powerful engine and you will be very happy.

Have fun with yours. If you like bipes this is a good one.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 AM
My Feedback: (289)

I used a ZDZ 40 RE, fits in the cowl without having to cut any extra holes.

Name:	Ca82284.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	588106   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43678.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	588107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52575.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	588108  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.