Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
tinted canopys >

tinted canopys

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

tinted canopys

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tinted canopys

Just bought a lovely extra 300L. All the pictures show it with a tinted canopy which really finishes the model off!

Any ideas how to turn a clear canopy into a nice tinted version. I know i could paint it black from the inside but would prefere it to be slightly transparent.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2003, 09:51 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tinted canopys

Rit (clothing) Dye. Multiple colors, easy to do.

Clean canopy thoroughly with warm water and dish detergent, dry it, and it doesn't hurt to clean it again with alcohol. Make sure to keep from touching it, the oils from your fingers will show on the tinted canopy.

Mix dye in a bucket of hot water. Bucket should be big enough to hold the full canopy without touching the sides or bottom. Suspend the canopy and leave it. Check it periodically and remove when it reaches the desired color.

SOME materials will not take the dye though, so....
Dennis-
Old 07-11-2003, 11:30 PM
My Feedback: (132)

Default tinted canopys

Rit dye is what most people use. If you do a search on RCU under "canopy tinting" you will find many many tips and suggestions.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:05 AM

Default tinted canopys

I've used Testors window tint spray . Tower or the larger Craft stores have it. Light coats and warm the can a little.

Here's the Tower site: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHH02&P=7
Old 07-12-2003, 12:39 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default tinted canopys

Hokey smokes! someone else who refuses to do the Holy hokus-pokus Rit dye routine... I have felt like a voice in the wilderness trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to let these folks know they can do their canopies in about 30 seconds with the Testors, but it seems the arcane science approach is more appealing. Oh well, you and I can chuckle evily as we speedily tint to our heart's content and picture the hit-and-missers peering intently into their magic cauldrons...BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!
Old 07-12-2003, 06:47 PM

Default tinted canopys

Hi guys, I do it in a simple way. I went to a art store and buy a little can of paint for glass( for decorartions and vitrals, sorry my english) The first time I used with a airbrush to get a "smoke" effect so you can see to the inside but not to determine what is in the cockpit. I fyou want a 100% shiny and translucent canopy yo should apply it disolved a little with water, drop it inside the canopy and moe it around until the paint cover it all.
Of course you have to clean it up very good before this process.
Hope this can help.
tato
Old 07-12-2003, 11:22 PM
My Feedback: (506)

Default tinted canopys

Originally posted by SST
Hokey smokes! someone else who refuses to do the Holy hokus-pokus Rit dye routine...
I'm with you, brother.

Flat Black Krylon all the way. I don't put pilot figures in my planes anyway.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:38 AM

Default tinted canopys

Flat Black Krylon all the way. I don't put pilot figures in my planes anyway
Well I put pilots in the cockpit. Painting the canopy black wouldn't work so well.

I haven't tried the Testors because I've heard mixed results. (Guess I shuld try it on some scrap. )
Dennis-
Old 07-13-2003, 04:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default tinted canopys

Orion have a look here

http://www.rcmodelflying.co.uk/forum...;threadid=3709

I've done a bit of testing with Rit, and its great, and the best part is I have some for you if you want
Old 07-14-2003, 10:18 AM

Default tinted canopys

MORE ON TESTORS

This tint spray isn't like a lot of rattle can paints. It has a slower drying formula to allow the spray to flow out and eliminate orange peal and the dusting(rough) effect. So, as your spraying, keep the coats light and let it dry in between or you'll get runs. Also, clean the canopy with alcohol and let it dry longer than you think it should take to dry.

It's the same principle as spraying laquer on wood. Faster drying, less airborn dust to settle in but greater orange peel potential. Retard the finish, better flow, more airborn dust to settle, less orange peel.

That's why you warm a can of LUSTRECOAT to get a better flow to help eliminate the orange peel and dusting. It allows you to get a "wet" coat with less material and less potential of runs.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:19 PM

Default tinted canopys

The Rit Dye is beginning to sound MUCH easier.
Dennis-
Old 07-14-2003, 02:48 PM

Default tinted canopys

Wow! Does normal cloth color work? I cant believe it. :idea: What is best brand to do that canopy tint? I´ll just thinking about tint my sukhoi´s canopy.

I also need to know what is best glue to attach the canopy on to fuselage?
Old 07-14-2003, 03:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default tinted canopys

Originally posted by Ghostrider FIN
Wow! Does normal cloth color work? I cant believe it. :idea: What is best brand to do that canopy tint? I´ll just thinking about tint my sukhoi´s canopy.

Sorry to disapoint you, but I spent months (and tons of cash) trying most of the European brands of Dye (inc dylon), none of them work . I also spoke with a very nice lady at Rit, who confirmed also that Rit is not available in Europe . She also told me the chemicals used are not european compliant , so there are no plans to export to Europe. She also stated that in future however people will be able to purchase small quantities via their web site, but this is a future feature.

You need to find someone who is going to the US, and get them to buy as much as they can carry. Rit is available in almost any store in the US that sells washing powder.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:25 PM

Default tinted canopys

Originally posted by grahamd1
Sorry to disapoint you, but I spent months (and tons of cash) trying most of the European brands of Dye (inc dylon), none of them work . I also spoke with a very nice lady at Rit, who confirmed also that Rit is not available in Europe . She also told me the chemicals used are not european compliant , so there are no plans to export to Europe. She also stated that in future however people will be able to purchase small quantities via their web site, but this is a future feature.

You need to find someone who is going to the US, and get them to buy as much as they can carry. Rit is available in almost any store in the US that sells washing powder.
OOPS, thanks to you told me that dylon doesn´t work. I´ll almost go to buy it. Hmm, Rit. Maybe i call my friend because he is working in Dallas to NOKIA corp. And he is coming here in Finland when holiday starts. Maybe i then get some Rit.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default tinted canopys

I've used Testors, Holy Smoke (which is used by train guys, but works good at smoking canopies) and Rit. For the large polypropylene canopies that are used in RC, I prefer the Rit dye method. For me, it is easy (as long as the waters not too hot) and I can use many different colors.

I am interested in what was said about using glass paints. Also, was looking into some acrylics that sign painters are using that create a iridescent finish.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:50 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default tinted canopys

Originally posted by Ghostrider FIN

I was curious about the glue part...
anyone have experience with this?
Old 07-24-2003, 06:29 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tinted canopys

Why Rit dye ? How about other brands ? Do they work as well ?
Old 07-24-2003, 05:47 PM

Default tinted canopys

Go to an Automotive parts store - you can get a WHOLE roll of real tint in several shades for like $5.00 - $10.00 that will last your entire career.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:18 PM
SST

Default tinted canopys

As for glue, I like clear silicone caulk, or I buy GOOP. If I need to remove the canopy later, it just peels off so I can re-attach without residue from the previous attachment.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:43 PM

Default tinted canopys

You can also use thick odorless CA and accelerator for most plastic canopies. Just apply the CA to the contacting edge of the canopy position it where you want it and then spray the edges with accelerator. Try it on some scrap first to make sure it won't dissolve your dye or paint. I've had good luck with it.

I've also used automotive tint on the inside of a couple of flat-sided canopies. Many of the cheaper brands can be heated slightly with a heat gun and stretched over the outside of a curved canopy but it's usually nearly impossible to get it to conform to the inside of a curved canopy. Good Luck
Old 08-05-2003, 01:07 PM

Default tinted canopys

Just so people will know, a Lanier RC Shrike .40 size canopy will tint with Rit dye. The canopy did warp a bit though. I was able to hold it in the right shape while glueing the edges down. I had previously tried hot tap water but that evidently wasn't hot enough. I put the container over the stove top until I couldn't put my finger in the solution (HOT!) Then put the canopy in for a few seconds at a time. It turned out nice and smokey-but a bit warped. I tried the same batch of dye on my Modeltech Magic Extra 300 and got no tinting at all.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:56 PM

Default RE: tinted canopys

I'm frustrated by the pactra and testors tint method. I have two cans, and both spit globs of tint. Never have gotten a good finish this way. I know of others who have had the same problem. I have shaken the cans til my arm fell off, and warmed them, same bad results. Thank goodness it comes off with rubbing alcohol. Any tips on what is going wrong???
Old 02-29-2004, 09:51 PM
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Flyer Freq

I'm frustrated by the pactra and testors tint method. I have two cans, and both spit globs of tint. Never have gotten a good finish this way. I know of others who have had the same problem. I have shaken the cans til my arm fell off, and warmed them, same bad results. Thank goodness it comes off with rubbing alcohol. Any tips on what is going wrong???
I've been using Testors Transparent spray paint and it has worked great for me. Here is my old Extra

Roger
Old 02-29-2004, 10:57 PM

I have used rits dye for years but some plastics are hard than others to dye but unlike many of the replys I see I only dye the inside ( you have to dye many before they are trimed. that way you don;t get the scraches that you do when cleaning up etc.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:12 AM

Roger: I can see why you are happy with the results from the Testors. The blue looks real nice! Have you tried the smoked tint? I tried the Rit die over the weekend and was successful, not quite as dark as I wanted, but acceptable. It does make quite a mess though!

Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.