Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

W/H baby edge build!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W/H baby edge build!

Got my beautiful baby edge yesterday and already have gotten a lot done. I ordered the complete package from Tom, still waiting on the engine to come back in stock, also waiting for my hangar 9 spline-loc servo arms and my graphtech bling landing gear and tailwheel. I got a bit excited and did not document my early work but here is my progress so far. This ARF is beautiful and very well made, by far the best plane I have worked with yet, and the assembly goes FAST. Tom has hit another home run!

Components
Dle30 with Jtec pitts
Hitec HS-5485's
Airtronis rds8000 control
Radical R/c 2300 life pack
Cenmark regulator for the ignition
trick dual switch

Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 PM

Default RE: W/H baby edge build!

Looks good. I almost bought one of these. Can't wait to read more.

kevin
Old 04-04-2010, 12:38 AM

I really like the dual power switch you've used. I feel the need to have one [8D]
Old 04-04-2010, 12:47 AM

Yea the switch is awesome, I got it from B and E graphics, Jodi also has them at valley view.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:06 AM
My Feedback: (5)

please post some pictures of the motor install want to fly one to bring it over.Wildhare is the best great service to
Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 AM
My Feedback: (15)

WOOHOO!<div>
</div><div>I was wondering when this thread would show up, Zach!  Another WildHare Edge in the world!  Awesome.</div><div>
</div><div>Good looking assembly so far...gonna follow this one with interest.</div><div>
</div><div>Welcome to the madness!</div>
Old 04-04-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanks guys, I should be getting a few minor things today done such as tank mounting and tentative battery mounting. Unfortunately I am stuck until I get the engine and servo arms, I gotta say, this is one SWEET plane! I am thoroughly impressed by the quality. I guess I had a few too many beers when I mounted the switch, its crooked
Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 PM

A bit more done this morning, I went to a bunch of hobby shops to find them all closed for Easter (slipped my mind) to find some foam rubber. I used velcro for the receiver and I think it will be adequate for vibration protection, should I surround the voltage regulator in foam rubber? Right now it is just zip tied right to the wood (see pic). Got the fuel tank mounted and did all the wiring except for the ignition obviously. I think the wiring cleaned up pretty nice, will be even better when I get everything installed. Also put the throttle servo in, Not sure where the choke servo will mount, I will figure that out when I get the engine mounted

Old 04-04-2010, 04:57 PM

IMO, yes...<div>
</div><div>Everything that sits on a tray/platform should have foam under it.  Probably overkill, but again...the amount of vibration single cylinder gas engines subject the airframe to CAN NOT be overstated.  They will try every way possible to sling off parts.  We're talking a few bucks and an extra day's wait to protect a critical electric component...absolutely it's worth doing.</div><div>
</div><div>FWIW, the tank, receiver, and batteries should ALSO rest on foam...the latter two for the same reason as above, the tank to cut down on foaming.</div>
Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 PM

I had some left over foam from a yak I built a while ago and that is under the tank, The receiver and regulator will be easy to demount and remount with foam so that is fine. I just wanted to get some stuff mounted so I could feel productive and see what the end product might look like very exciting.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 AM

I have the WH extra 73" combo. It fly's awesome. A few tips i have. Try a hs 225 servo mounted on the engine box for the throttle. Choke i use a bent pushrod through the cowl to work it. Make sure to use ball links on the composite control arms, the hardware provided will wear out the hole and make it sloppy. I also found out that i had to mount the stock muffler after i mounted the cowl, i put two small holes in the side of the cowl for the allen wrench to fit. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the tips. I will most likely put the choke servo somewhere on the engine box, the throttle servo I want to keep in the position by the gas tank. As far as the pushrods go, I am building my own carbon fiber ones using 2-56 rods and ball links on one side and z bends on the horn side. I found that that 2-56 rods fit through perfectly and prevents any slop. If the horns get worn down an all, I'll deal with it then, I'd rather not run all thread with ball links on either side if I don't have to.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Cancelled my order for carbon fiber landing gear from graphtech. It took them unusually long to process them, about a week now and it gave me time to realize the landing gear that came with the plane are more than adequate. Its 85 bucks that I can use elsewhere, I did however pick up a better tailwheel because the one that came with the kit disappeared on me.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
RTK

Wish I would have found this thread sooner to give a bit of advice. I have the baby edge with a dle30, it has about 50 flights on it give or take. The one thing I would recommend is to use robart hinges instead of the CA hinges it comes supplied with. You might also find the supplied control horn "holes" a bit on the large size for the supplied rods.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM

I already addressed the pushrod issues, I made my own larger control rods that fill up the holes nicely. If they end up getting sloppy over time, I will use some all thread and carbon fiber with dual ball links. And on the hinges, the ca ones seem adequate but once again they are easy enough to cut and replace with robarts if they give me issues down the road. To me those two details are minute compared with some of the stuff I have seen with other manufactures. I am extremely happy with this plane so fare, I have never owned a planer where everything fit perfectly without modification. Thanks for the tips though
Old 04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
RTK

All in all it is a very nice plane when it comes to fit and finish.
I wanted to assemble it completely stock and did a build thread on one of these forums, should probably go back and update the robart hinge upgrade since I had to replace the hinges on one elevator already.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the control horn holes, which end of the pushrod did you put through the horn?

IF you use the clevis at the rear then yes, the holes are too large. Put the z-bend in the rear and it should all fit nicely.

TF
Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Z bend side, there was a very small amount of play, not enough to cause issues at first. I just think over time the slightly small control rod could wear out the hole a little bigger and caused some slop. I used a 2-56 rod instead and it fit perfectly and hopefully it should prevent any enlarging of the hole. Once again, even if the holes get a bit enlarged, all thread and ball links on either side would be a very easy solution.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Old 04-07-2010, 06:20 PM

I've been twiddling my thumbs waiting for the engine so I can complete it! Will be here on Friday. I ordered some nice Wildhare decals from B and E graphix and put them on the wings and also built up the pushrods and mocked one up while waiting for my aluminum arms to come in.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Its getting there! Engine mounting done, waiting for some longer bolts as I am not thrilled in the amount of threads holding the engine on now. The jtec muffler fits perfectly although I have to install it after the cowl is on so I had to drill holes in the cowl to allow access to the muffler bolts. I didnt do great on trimming the cowl but it still looks decent. The kill switch is installed along with the ignition.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Looking good, zach!  Keep it up!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM

I've got the Baby Extra 260, I've been held up by engine and weather problems, still have an issue with glitches to work out, at about 2:40 the radio glitches and the engine quits, and when I restart it there's another glitch, I'm working with Jody at Valley View RC to find the problem. My ignition is mounted in the same place as shown above, and my throttle servo is mounted under the engine box, after viewing this video Jody has recommended I move the ignition and throttle servo as a possible solution.

Testing my new ignition from Wingman26 on Vimeo.</p>

http://www.vimeo.com/10853811
Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM
RTK

I have everything mounted in mine the same as the above pictures and have had nothing like that take place. There has to be a short/arcing some where to cause it to glitch the radio then die.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 PM

She's ready to fly except for final battery placement/cg check and engine break in. She is such a sweet bird! Finished the control arms/ pull pull setup with the Hangar 9 spline loc servo arms (awesome for the price btw) . I ended up using an ohio superstar tailwheel . Not the lightest thing out there but will help the plane balance since it is a bit front heavy. The servos are decent speed but I wish they were a bit faster, would have been a lot more money though. These should be adequate for the time being.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.