Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
 looking for a 5ft cat >

looking for a 5ft cat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

looking for a 5ft cat

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a 5ft cat

hello, im looking for a 5ft + cat hull for around $500
Old 12-07-2005, 05:53 PM

Default RE: looking for a 5ft cat

2 one ebay under gas boats section bout 5 days left on them
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The hulls on E-bay from Blackhawkhobbies.com are 73" long and are well priced. 5ft cat options would include the Thundercat from Expresscraft (around $350) or copies from Vern (Forabuck) for less than Expresscraft. Also MHZ have a few cats for around the $500 range.

There are several to choose from at your price target. [8D]
Old 12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Expresscraft has the new 5 ft. exactly MTI cat, looks like a APBA racer, like a big avenger. Justaddwatta, I went to blackhawk's website and you can't see their hulls, or order. Where can I take a look at them?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:42 PM

Click on the gallery tab on the Blackhawk site and there are several pages of pics (arrow top right to move through pages)
Old 12-07-2005, 10:03 PM

Can you order from the web site?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:33 PM

Forabuck hulls are the way to go if you want it on the cheap and look good......60" cats....Along with other optional choices....If you time it right on ebay the 60" start at 169.00..Can't beat this anywhere....................................
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 PM

I dont believe you can order direct from the site. Better give them a call !!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:21 PM

I e-mailed him tonight and he told me that he could sell to me direct but he has a horrible website, I'd like to take a better look at their 74" cat, and I also say a website called rcclublist.com, which is a pyramid scheme, advertising all of their hulls rtr for about a 1/5 of the real price, like 400.00!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:35 PM

what is the status of blackhawk, is he back open? i tried to email him through his site last week and got no reply.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:03 AM

I just e-mailed him tonight and he got back within an hour. I didn't do it through his site, I just got his e-mail and did it through mine. If that helps any.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:33 AM

I believe he is getting the store back together. A lot of damage following the hurricane.

Frog - Avoid the Pyramid scheme for boat ownership - all the expense - none of the ownership.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 PM

justaddwata,
I too am looking at the cat hulls and have noticed that you have many in your collection. What manufacturer do you recommend. The blackhawk look great and forabuck are affordable but what are the other pros /cons. Is a 74" cat too much to start with for a first from-scratch boat. Id like to build it all myself.

I am lookin at a couple different used avenger-pros that are rtr (1 is a Bacardi silver - looks great) and just purchased a 43 challenger that Im rebuilding the 260 zen. I have been in this for a month or so now and am finding myself somewhat addicted. My wife is worried these will start multiplying like rabbits...you know all about that though.

Hope all is well on the world tour.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:33 PM

uh oh your a junky, welcome to our support group.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:41 PM

dpthomasjr - Your wife has reason to be worried - just make sure she is not looking over your shoulder when your ordering and you should be ok !!

Before tackling a build I guess you have to gauge your skills/ craftsmanship. You dont need a lot of fancy tools (but they help). Skills needed to build a large model are no different than those in building a smaller boat. The main difference is size and budget.

The only problem with the Black hawk cat as a project is it is on the higher end of size and budget. To get the cat moving quick will take 8+hp. Be it a QD35, a pair of 260 zens, a pair of 90 nitros. Twins are going to be 3 times the amount of work in setting up Vs. the single QD35 but will corner much better (The QD35 will have a higher COG). I dont believe you will have much luck getting the Zenoahs into the sponsons though (very tight).

My recommendation is for the single QD35 (New $1200 - Used $650 with mounts and pipe). Direct drive to a single prop. The more sophistication you add - the less time you will spend enjoying it. My cat runs 50's straight line but I slow down considerably for cornering.

The Vern cat with a single 260 will get you in to the 40's and be a little lighter on the budget. Other than the hull and motor the vern and Blackhawk will cost around the same $$ and be about the same amount of work (provided your using singles in each).

If you are not so sure of your skill level you may want to pick up a RTR and get some more instant gratification and learn the driving and maintainance required before looking at building one. Either way your going to have fun.

The 43 Challenger is a fun boat. I have a 43 and 50 and find the 43 has a lot more speed .

The Avenger pros are a fast fun cat. Very different from the bigger 60 - 73" cats listed above. A lot more agile. Quick acceleration. Will certainly teach you a thing or two about driving !!

Drop me an e-mail if I can be of further help. [email protected] Heres 4 pages of [link=http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRCBoats/73inchpipcatdewaltcat.msnw]pics of my cat[/link]
Old 12-08-2005, 05:54 PM

dpthomasjr., are you over on offshoreonly.com's forums? THat little yellow guy you have dancing there is signature of offshoreonly.com's power boat forums. Just wondering.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:04 PM

frogman524,
i am a "full scale" boater as well but havnt been to offshoreonly.com. Actually I just got the little yellow guy off of an avitar website a couple of years ago. Hope i did not rip-off anyones sign. Ill change it to a different one just for grins...
thanks!

Just lost an avenger pro on ebay at the last second by $10. i thought it was too good to be true. guess ill keep my eye on the bacardi silver avenger pro. its up tomorrow and its at $770. I dont think that will save me much over doing my own. Im thinking the 44 avenger pro or lightning cat may be a good starting point for a build.

Are the paint jobs that you see on these manufacturers websites something that is offered (ie the avenger pro bacardi silver boats) by the manufacturer or does everyone have them done custom? Im just full of questions.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:48 PM

Those are custom done paint jobs, otherwise the hulls come white, or maybe yellow. I don't in fact know who does the Bacardi SIlver paint jobs, although I have seen a lot of them, on different hulls. I don't buy off e-bay because I trust Rcuniverse members, but I don't know if there is a gaurentee you will get what you won? Is there insurance, or anything?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:32 PM

dpthomas.skaterland,full size?talk to me kid.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:49 AM

xxxboatworks has does them or actually he has somebody that does them for him. they are beautiful! he says he's all booked up and can't take on any more builds but he might point you in the direction of his painter. i think his painter does have a link on his site at xxxboatworks.com. i get the feeling this his paint guy ain't cheap but man, well, just check it out for yourself!
Old 12-09-2005, 08:51 AM

skymortar,
not sure i understand your question.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 AM

dpthomas,sorry about the code words.lol.i was asking if you had a full size skater.hdelins skaters are built in michigan.merry christmas
Old 12-10-2005, 02:00 PM

no problem. No I dont have a skater. I meant that I also have a fullsize boat - 2004 Monterey 270 Cruiser. going up for sale soon so we can upgrade to a 340. Only if I have any money left after i recover form getting into this hobby.