Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 Another Paint question... prep?? >

Another Paint question... prep??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Another Paint question... prep??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Paint question... prep??

This question pertains to airbrushing a Miss Vegas. What needs to be done to the gel coat on the MV (if anything) before painting it (certain chemical to clean it with?? Does it need to be lightly sanded??etc etc)??

She has run the boat...if that makes any difference in what it needs to be cleaned with.

TIA for your input,
Sean
Old 04-30-2007, 06:19 PM

Default RE: Another Paint question... prep??

Generally, a good wash with Joy first, then a light sanding with either 600 grit paper or red scottchbrite pads. The paint may call for laquer thinner or mineral spirits as a wipe down before painting. After all the airbrushing is done and the decals are on, clear coat the whole thing to seal it.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 PM

You need wax & grease remover for autos, sometimes the old timers called it prep-sole.You can get this stuff at you local auto paint store or nappa stores.Get cross fire #15250 and then use a red scotch brite pad to scuff it with or wet sand it with 600 grit. Wash your boat first with the wax & grease remover before sanding.Then after sanding it,then rewash it again before paint.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:17 PM

Idon't know what cross fire 15250 is, But, in the auto trade wash it down with prep sol/wax & greese remover sand with 600/800 grit. Then re-wax & greese. If you want to prime it to make it smoothe, use a polyester primer. Sand it with 600/800 wet, and paint.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 PM

Thats Nappa brand of paint line and 15250 is the part number on it.It the same stuff/prep-sol
Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM

I always wet sand the hull with 400 because i always put 2 coats of sandable primer down and wet sand those with 600. I then go and clean down the hull with warm water and a clean rag. From there i would sugest using AutoAir airbrush paints. http://www.merriartist.com/Auto_Air_...FQEGQQodBQl-kA ..These prices are not to bad but whats is good about these paints are that they are strong and can handle ppg clear and its nitro proof. Good luck and we want pics of the finished project!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 AM

Thanks again for your inputs.

I will pass them along.

I will post pics when it is done...but it is my daughter's boat...she wants a big sunflower on top of it...

Sean