Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
 belt driven lower drive? >

belt driven lower drive?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

belt driven lower drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt driven lower drive?

im looking for a belt driven lower drive unit set up that will work with my traxxas .15.

as far as i know that is the only way i can make my boat an outboard with that engine. im really trying to avoid buying a whole new motor and drive unit.
ive seen these drives and my only other option is to convert it over to electric instead.

but in short im on a tite budget and i bought the boat at a swap meet, about a week ago, its just a 23in hydro. not sure of the make, but its a fiberglass boat with an abs hull cover, seems pretty well made.

ive checked out putting the motor inboard but it just wont fit, so the belt drive unit seems to be my only option
Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Default RE: belt driven lower drive?

the lower you are looking for is off a dolphin stinger. they are not that well made. I have been told you only get 3 runs out of them before the bearings in the shafts give out and throw the belts. also hydros usually have there weight foward of the middle of the boat. What type of clearence issues are you having? The head of a car motor can not be in closed in the boat it needs cool air blowing over it to keep it cool.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: andybenton

im looking for a belt driven lower drive unit set up that will work with my traxxas .15.

as far as i know that is the only way i can make my boat an outboard with that engine. im really trying to avoid buying a whole new motor and drive unit.
ive seen these drives and my only other option is to convert it over to electric instead.

but in short im on a tite budget and i bought the boat at a swap meet, about a week ago, its just a 23in hydro. not sure of the make, but its a fiberglass boat with an abs hull cover, seems pretty well made.

ive checked out putting the motor inboard but it just wont fit, so the belt drive unit seems to be my only option
i understand what u saying but just my opinion go what the mainstream doing what i mean get a complete outboard motor, check ebayin less than $100 u'l get a k&b outboard,, actually going to the belt drive direction will cost u more than what u think,,,

outboard in hydro is can't do satifying performance, inboard will be great..

i did conversion of any car engine or inboard engine to outboard just for the sake of doin it but not satifying in the end...just my 50cents
Old 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM

actually, i happened to missidentify the boat in all of my infinite wisdom XD

its actually a tunnle hull, and as for as going inboard on it it seems next to imposible after i start thinking about getting the prop in the water and getting the engine mouted it that fiberglass hull, the boat came with an outboard on it orriginally, and im really trying to stick to using this motor scince i ported and polished it, not to mention i cut the head down and polished it and the entire case to a nice glossy finish.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Since its a Tunnel than yes, outboard it is.

however, the consensus is the same regarding the belt drive system, stay away, far far away.

try to find a lower unit that may fit your .15 or you may be able to get your hands on a K&B 3.5 outboard for not too much money.

Dan.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've only seen one mouse motor bolted up to a K&B lower and I'm guessing that it wasn't a cheap setup, Bob Kensill did it.
Sometimes it's best to let "bargains" be bought by someone else. I only hope that you didn't pay too much.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM

im actually out 0 bucks in this instance, and im trying to do something mainly that isnt done around here, but ive got a buddy offering to trade me a fiberglass deep v, so im thinking ill just trade him and pick up a jet drive and throw my brushless in runner and lipos in it and call it done

what kind of boat would be best to take the traxxas .15? im trying to avoid one of the riggers as i dont have the experiance to do the build up.
im looking at getting something to hold the motor after tax time XD so in every ones opinion what kind of boat would best suite that traxxas motor with little work?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Rigger,

lol

Dan.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ignore the guy above. [sm=lol.gif]
First, we need to know a little about the Traxxas .15. Does it have the onboard electric starter and RTS system? If so, that has to go. Toss the clutch if it has one.
Most of what I've done are conversions of electric boats, but the hull and go to town. Watch eBay or the RCU Marketplace for used boats with sneezed engines.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 AM

[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

[sm=thumbup.gif]

Dan.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM

the traxxas engine is one that i have installed traxxas' marine crank and piston and sleeve, after porting and polishing them, i also ripped off the old electric start and put my pull start back on it. so the question is what would be ideal for this, im still lacking a marine flywheel and collet, and the little piece that clamps to a drive cable, (sorry im unfamiliar with the terminology)

so with that parts list i figure that if i get a boat that allready has a strut, rudder, and other variouse running gear, ie fuel tank, radio box, and so on

basically im looking for a boat that i slap a motor, radiogear, and a prop on and take it to the lake after finetunning the center of gravity and plane.

any ideas?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Andy, I would watch the Buy/Sell section for one of the Pro Boat hydros. I've seen them show up occasionally minus engines. That .15 isn't going to want to push a very big boat and they are a little smaller. Also if you want to be able to turn right and left , consider a mono. just my 2 cents. Mike
Old 01-05-2010, 05:34 PM

JAE .12 RIGGER
Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 PM

go for rigger,, those micro rigger, u'l enjoy it better..check the posting here bout riggers,,,
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM

im fighting the urge to buy a rigger scince i do not have the build experiance ive looked threw all the info on it, it looks really great, but im thinking of getting a mono hull or a hydro.

or maybe both, now ive got lipos, and an esc so im thinking of making an electric mono and a  nitro rigger.