Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Broke Fan on Mini E-Revo VXL Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke Fan on Mini E-Revo VXL Suggestions?

Well after a day at the track the fan popped out of the square holder so it still spins so I glued it to another support...but the glue got into the fan's circuitry and now it's toast.

I am looking for a 1.5" x 1.5" fan to run off a free channel on the stock RX to keep the motor cool.

I posted a picture of how I setup the front fan that sucked in air through the gutted body windshield that I custom screened.

Wondering if this will fit as I am not sure if the height inside the body will allow it:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-hea...u-p-18762.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69468.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1335068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33092.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1335069  
Old 12-15-2009, 07:03 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Broke Fan on Mini E-Revo VXL Suggestions?

Why not just get an additional ESC heat-sink, a motor heat-sink, and vents in the body?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 PM

Or you could throw away the worthless stock ESC, followed by your fans, and get a good ESC that would fix all your problems.

It amazes me that with how poorly the stock ESC performs, how few people have put in a Sidewinder or equivalent. Traxxas really screwed up on this one...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 AM

Is the Sidewinder ESC that you speak of waterproof? If not, what would be a good waterproof ESC to upgrade too?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 AM

The Sidewinder isn't "waterproof" but it is highly water resistant. That is what Castle Creations says, if they said waterproof it's a legal issue. There is a guy who ran one in a fish tank each day for a month and it still works good.
It is coated with a "water resistant" coating.

Just remeber NOTHING electronic is waterproof!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM

What would be the cheapest way of solving the heat issue? As if I mount an additional fan up front it will most likely break again.

The body is already cut up if you look closely at the first picture. The esc is not the temp problem it is the motor.

If I attach a 380 size heatsink on the motor I don't know If I will have enough room on the body is my real question...to add extra security against heat that's why I wanted to try the 3racing heatsink/fan combo for the motor I have attached in the first post.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM

Some people use this too:
www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_details.lasso
Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Trust me, the stock motor will run a lot cooler when it's controlled by a good ESC. I never once had an overheating problem with the ESC or stock motor after I switched to the Sidewinder. It even controlled a NEU 1107/1.5D 8500KV motor without overheating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAhzzEHwMA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9xHiyegN0

You won't realize how bad the stock ESC is until you get one that electronic guys would call average...
I really don't know what Traxxas was thinking on this one, that's the reason for the Thermal Shutdown. Castle Creations doesn't need one because their ESC's don't overheat under normal circumstances.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I have heard only good things about the sidewinder ESC. I'm not going to be getting one because I am not 'that' into my MERV, but if I were, then that may be a possible upgrade.

Having a motor heat-sink and additional ESC heat-sink will not effect the body mounting in any way.