Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
 Ok, I'm going to gloat. >

Ok, I'm going to gloat.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ok, I'm going to gloat.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok, I'm going to gloat.

I wasn't going to, but the "collector" comments in the Venom thread made me do it!

I have a gift. My gift is that every time I go to a swap show, the first table I walk up to is the only table that has Norvel engines, and the deal is a steal. In the past, I would have to walk the show to find them, but the last 3 I just waltzed in and scored big. Seems like in the Michigan/Ohio area .049's and .061's are getting scarcer but .074s are now plentiful at the swap shows.... I'm averaging about $30 for a new engine regardless of the size. Last time it was 3 .074's and 3 plugs for $93....

This weekend it was 1 new .074, 1 lightly used .074, one new AME .061 R/C, a spare complete carb, 2 plugs, a spring starter, 8 props, needles, 4 prop studs for the .074, muffler clips, and a spare parts engine of some flavor for $105.

And I also picked up another 'collector' engine, an OS .30 Wankle, for $175. [X(]

How can you pass that up, And why should you feel guilty about it?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ok, I'm going to gloat.

ORIGINAL: DeviousDave

I wasn't going to, but the ''collector'' comments in the Venom thread made me do it!

snip ............

This weekend it was 1 new .074, 1 lightly used .074, one new AME .061 R/C, a spare complete carb, 2 plugs, a spring starter, 8 props, needles, 4 prop studs for the .074, muffler clips, and a spare parts engine of some flavor for $105.

It's not fair, I tell ya, not fair at all!![]
Old 11-08-2011, 10:45 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I never get in on the great deals. I think it's like being good at fishing...which I suck at too.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I make a deal with myself an loose........everytime!!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:52 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Geez Dave, Had you passed them up and left them for some needy 1/2A soul, you'd have the cash to buy that Parra you've been drooling over. You'll get no sympathy from me unless that Wankel makes it over to my place after Thanksgiving, for my twin rotor Wankel build.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:57 PM

That's a score! I think I have had only one day in my life with that kind of luck. I scored 2 AME .061s ...one mounted in a plane, one NIB for $80 at a club auction. As far as I can remember thats it, Other than finding a $20 bill on the street as a kid.
If my posts were confused in the other thread, I definitely don't have a problem with snapping up a great deal on something you want. ..Or even hoarding LOL I don't think you should feel guilty at all. On the other hand when someone says "I went to a sale and bought all these widgets dirt cheap and really don't have any interest in them other than the $ I can make selling them on Ebay but I thought I'd come to this enthusiast forum and tell everyone" ..I would definitely rather see some kid get it and fly the crap out of it and lose it in a swamp never knowing what it was other than fun! Or at least hang on to it for posterity and to show his grandchildren.
Its the snapping up "collector" items with immediate profit in mind that irritates me. Not saying anyone did this mind you, just stating my opinion. Congrats on your find, and sorry if I made you feel guilty. Now where is the link to this twin rotor wankel deal? Todd
Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave just has this unassuming boyish look that the vendors feel sorry for.

"Poor Kid, I'll give him these nitro engines to save him from going electric"
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM

I thought it had more to do with his habit of picking his teeth with a switchblade while hammering out these "bargains" he keeps running into...?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 AM

I've never even been to a swap meet...... []
Old 11-10-2011, 09:18 AM

I've only been to a hand full. Part of finding great deals is putting your time in to sniff them out. I know guys who make it their hobby to go to all the garage sales, estate sales, etc. and they DO come away with a lot of goodies.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Sorry to start a thread and bail guys, I work afternoons and have had to spend the last few days away from home while rescuing my girlfriend. She's got a Saturn that likes to drain the battery and I end up staying the night after work-I'm in the parking lot of a book store as I type this and only have a minute before I have to be at work....

Gotta go make that Norvel buying money!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 AM

First day, first table, eh? What are you, a Boy Scout? ;^)

I used to find those kind of deals on "the auction site" years ago. But eventually word got out and now auction prices are up too.

But I ROCK at fishing. Of course it is FLY fishing.

EG
Old 11-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Itotally nailed a bunch of vintage 1/2A s this weekend. Spitzy, Royal Spitfire, Baby Spifire, Fox. Most look almost new. I plan to sell them but I wish Ididnt have to, they are so darn cute.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64833.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1686496  
Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 AM

I wasn't going to, but the ''collector'' comments in the Venom thread made me do it!

I have a gift. My gift is that every time I go to a swap show, the first table I walk up to is the only table that has Norvel engines, and the deal is a steal. In the past, I would have to walk the show to find them, but the last 3 I just waltzed in and scored big. Seems like in the Michigan/Ohio area .049's and .061's are getting scarcer but .074s are now plentiful at the swap shows.... I'm averaging about $30 for a new engine regardless of the size. Last time it was 3 .074's and 3 plugs for $93....

And I also picked up another 'collector' engine, an OS .30 Wankle, for $175. [X(]

I really dont like you, dont know you, but that dosent matter. Your gift is something that makes you to be someone unlikable. Especially from someone who lives in Hawaii, where we have NO such thing as R/C swapmeets or any meet for that matter. Paradise you might say, then why am I jealous? You lucky B#str&%d.

I hope uyou realize this is all in fun. I wish I had your gift for myself... an OS wankel for $175??!! aaaah.

DM
Old 11-21-2011, 08:38 PM

The only Norvels I found the swap meet the other day was two .25s and a .40. The guy wanted $80.-$100 for them, I
told him to get bent.[>:]
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Aurora_60

I really dont like you, dont know you, but that dosent matter. Your gift is something that makes you to be someone unlikable. Especially from someone who lives in Hawaii, where we have NO such thing as R/C swapmeets or any meet for that matter. Paradise you might say, then why am I jealous? You lucky B#str&%d.

I hope uyou realize this is all in fun. I wish I had your gift for myself... an OS wankel for $175??!! aaaah.

DM

I have close to 40 norvels in .049 and .061 alone..... PM me your address.

Serious.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:28 PM

The best deal I ever got! I placed a $10.00 bid on a 40 OS engine on eBay. $5.00 Starting Bid with $5.00 shipping!
No picture shown.
No other bids placed.

I receiveda NIB OS 40 FP engine!!! $10.00 Total cost.
Clancy