Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
How To Start a Cox Engine Instructional Video >

How To Start a Cox Engine Instructional Video

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How To Start a Cox Engine Instructional Video

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How To Start a Cox Engine Instructional Video

I thought I'd give something back to the 1/2A community. I hope someone out there finds this guide helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx8lpO5d4rE
Old 06-08-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh the pain of ye ol flip start

I use a thrust washer behind the prop plate. With two drops of fuel on the first start of the day a Sullivan Hornet 1/2A starter gets the job done. By the time you squat down to start up the lil wonder your back standing ready to launch your creation into the great blue yonder. Once the engine has ran for the first time in the field no need to prime.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:46 PM

This was intended to be funny. That little TD started easily and ran hard many times for 3 days at SMALL. At the first sign of a no-run, everyone gathered around offering the assistance that's typical at SMALL. The culprit was an intermittent glow filament. This is a MUST attend event for fans of such machines.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes understand was well done I went to SMALL back in 1990 or 91 was a good day had by all.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:45 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee Bee
This was intended to be funny. That little TD started easily and ran hard many times for 3 days at SMALL. At the first sign of a no-run, everyone gathered around offering the assistance that's typical at SMALL. The culprit was an intermittent glow filament. This is a MUST attend event for fans of such machines.
This was highly valuable help - but did anyone bring beer? Thank goodness for the nacho chips - I found if you hold the corner of a Dorito in the exhaust of a flooded engine, you can suck up excess fuel just like solder wick. watch the ketchup and BBQ kind though, the flavoring plays havoc with the glow plug.

I miss Small already and I've never been there.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MJD-This was my first year after more than 25 years of wanting to attend SMALL. Now, unless beyond my control.....I won't miss another! It was worth every penny spent to be there. We were all very fortunate to have awesome weather this year but even if the weather didn't cooperate, I'd still would have made the trip to visit with our new friends.

Make it a priority and you will have a great time, great memories, and many new awesome friends.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the feeling the last 2-3 years I was a fool for not being there. It's a bit of a $$trek from up here in the Great White, but .. truth is I've been kicking myself for years for being a loner and not attending more model events.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 AM

For loners, weirdos, skaliwags, and 1/2Aers, SMALL is the event!