Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
 Norvel Alternatives.. >

Norvel Alternatives..

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel Alternatives..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel Alternatives..

Hi All,

I am wondering, if Norvel is currently unavailable (I sure hope Sig is able to import them again..) I am curious: How come no one uses the AP Hornet .061 engines sold at Tower? I'm no where near as engine savvy as some of you jedi knights here, so I thought I'd ask before I buy one, but at 40 bucks, it's a good price if the engine is decent, IMO..

Jason
Old 06-17-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Norvel Alternatives..

The AP Hornet is a knockoff of the older Norvel, without the quality control.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:24 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The AP is designed to put out less power than the Norvel, milder timing, etc. The best example AP .061 will lag behind the best Big Mig by a couple of grand. The AP still puts out decent power and will last a long time. I like them both, for what they are worth. I think the AP is the perfect combat engine, the Big Mig is borderline too hot. There are more reports of bad APs than Norvels, but Tower will honor any valid complaints.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:47 AM

can i put it on a DNU? or should i go with somethign else? if i cant find a good glow engine for it.. i might have to go electric *dies*
Old 06-18-2006, 01:00 AM

My Ugly Stick was about the same size as the DNU and it flew great with a TT .07, which has less power than a Norvel .061, so the AP should be able to fly it well enough. Still lots more power than a reedie.

Is SIG actually out of Norvels? They have them listed on their website.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:25 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AJCoholic wrote an artical about 1/2a engines in FLYRC ..the next issue he did a retake of the article not knowing the VA line was unavailable, but he said SIG had confirmed that they would be carrying the Norvel line...I believe they were some moving issues at the norvel factory....Rog

The full line of CS engines is now available in the US from Bill Hughes...

[email protected] or phone 630-736-6036
Old 06-18-2006, 10:06 PM

i thought we determined that the CS engines werent all that great?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 PM

Speaking of the Cs engines.
What is the current thinking on the sport 061? After reading a couple favorable threads about it I bought one. While I was waiting for it to arrive I did some more digging and it seemed that most people were disapointed with it. I feel like I shoulda bought an AP
sean
Old 06-18-2006, 11:17 PM

well.. im happy.. one of the hobby sites that dave listed.. i just bought the .061 big mig r/c from them for $53 .. not too bad...
Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 AM

There`s something that, just doesn`t seem right ,with, the Norvel Factory moved "STORY".If your a MANUFACTURER knowing that there would be a stoppage in production,wouldn`t you think, it would be good Buisness sense, to MAKE SURE that there would be enough inventory to sustain your NICHE in the market, till ,the re-location, and set-up was completed??Same thing goes for a Distributor ..HERE`s a theroy,it could be so far from correct, but something to ponder anyways..Could NORVEL be washed up/finished for good.The only News we get, is what Sig is feeding folks, who are asking ,When the engines are going to be stocked again..Could it be that ,SIG is trying to find an alternative themselves,and are trying to keep the 1/2A engine customers,money in their pocket ,untill they can find another engine maker that would meet our Norvel expectations,by making us wait, and hope.With this theroy, it keeps your money in your hand,and buys Sig time ,while, you don`t jump the band wagon and buy a differant brand..We need someone in RUSSIA, that can knock on doors for us,and get some real facts...I still think,, something is FISHY..
Old 06-19-2006, 02:26 AM

Norvel moved production in the past and it took a long time for the .074s to come out, then a couple of years of advertising for the the .40 before it was available. It may be that they are only able to do a production run of 1 engine type at a time and by the time they cycle through the dozen or so types the first has sold out. SIG does have them listed as being in stock. Is it possible that dealers are simply not stocking them?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bipe Flyer

<snip> .........SIG does have them listed as being in stock. Is it possible that dealers are simply not stocking them?
I received an email on May 22 from Justin Van Dee, SIG's NORVEL tech, that NORVEL engines are back in production. Given the lags in shipping and transportation, it may be a while before they trickle down to the LHS.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:22 AM

Last week, I called Sig, looking for AME parts. A feller named Mike, told me he has no parts for the Norvels smaller than the .15 and he has not recieved anything, not even a word from Norvel in over 5 months. He was very helpfull providing Phone numbers of shops he thought could help me out. Sad news for the Norvel Fans out there.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:49 AM

I hope you guy`s are right,in that the engines will start showing up in the retail end again..My theroy was just another ,
"DAVEinci Code", kind of thing.I only have a couple of the BigMigs,but I like them,and would like to pick up a few more.I would try to order direct from Sig,BUT,that didn`t work to good for me, the last time I was told, "the parts will be here in a month".That Happened in February ,I still haven`t heard anything from them.I suppose that`s one of the reasons ,I don`t believe a lot ,from the "Word "of SIG.I haven`t fully given up on them yet.I`m just a little leery, in what they say now..I do hope for everyone, that enjoys these engines, that they`ll find their way to the user,,,,SOON.........DAVE B.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:34 AM

.Well I just ordered from Great Hobbies a pair of servos,and a BigMIG 0.074".Their site states ,that the engine is on back-order with vendor.SO I`ll sit , wait,and see,when if it shows up.This company deals with SIG...If Sig does have them stocked, it should be in my hands in a week, or, 2 .My best quess ,1 month MAX. wait.I`ll keep everyone posted, as to what is happening with this order..DAVE
Old 06-19-2006, 03:45 PM

This is the response I recieved from Great Hobbies this afternoon .I really like doing Buisness with them.They DON`T ,B.S. me around..I was told this Crystal, would be 2-3 weeks away.The fact is, it was a 19 day wait,and should be in my hands, with servos I ordered this morning, exactly on the 3 week mark.I was B.Sd ,by the LHS about parts for my Warbird(1 year of being jerked around), so honesty means a lot to me from a Retailer.When I hear more, about the Norvel,being stocked, I`ll let folks know,as I`m updated.

.Hi David,
The crystal is in stock now and will be shipped with the two servos as you requested. The engine is not available with our supplier and so far they have not given us any information as to when we will be able to obtain them. We will send it to you as soon as it comes in and will try to keep you updated with any information they give us. Let me know if you need anything else.
Thank you for your time and have a great day!
Brittany

Customer Service

Please call 1-800-839-3262 if your response or request is time sensitive, Thank You.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So in other words the Sheldon's web site doesn't reflect current stock? Because they list the .074 for $53 and the .061 for $45.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: rainedav

So in other words the Sheldon's web site doesn't reflect current stock? Because they list the .074 for $53 and the .061 for $45.

Sorry, I don`t know Who/what Sheldon`s is.Would you have a Link??The online Hobby Shop I use, has the Norvels listed, with a price too,but nothing stocked,at the supplier level.I`m on their list now though
Old 06-19-2006, 07:47 PM

http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/
Old 06-19-2006, 08:03 PM

Yup, they`re definately listed there.Anybody try ordering an engine from them lately??I wouldn`t order there myself,because of Duties, and shipping,and money exchange,it would get real expensive quick.Might be a good place for our Southern friends to order from though.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:21 PM

I order from the US bit (Tower, Hobby Lobby, RadicalRC). If it is sent by regular post and they only charge you the ACTUAL SHIPPING costs and not some bogus "handling" fee for Canadian orders then you only pay exchange, which is excellent right now, plus taxes and a $5 brokerage fee from Canada post. If they send it by courier it can cost $40 for the brokerage fee. The nice thing about Canada post is that under $20 they don't charge and sometimes they forget to collect the money.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Larry still shows having the C/L Bigmig .061 Start-up in stock. I haven't checked my "startup" out thoroughly, but it appears to be a regular bigmig with a tankmount.

www.kittingittogether.com
Old 06-19-2006, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

I haven't checked my "startup" out thoroughly, but it appears to be a regular bigmig with a tankmount.
Hey Patrick --

It's the same engine -- I occasionally pick them up on theBay, usually NIB, for WOT flying, parts or to swap a carb onto from another engine.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:50 PM

is sheldons reliable? i havent heard of them before.. maybe i shoudl look into them.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: D Bronk

Yup, they`re definately listed there.Anybody try ordering an engine from them lately??I wouldn`t order there myself,because of Duties, and shipping,and money exchange,it would get real expensive quick.Might be a good place for our Southern friends to order from though.
I have ordered Norvel .061 on line at Sheldon's a couple of
week ago. I have never received their responce whether they
have sent it or took it as a back order as of now.
I don't even know if they received my order or not.
Besides Sheldon, I have ordered .061 and other norvel stuff to
Quantum Models and they emailed me that Norvel stuff is out of
stock now. They also recommended me to keep the order as a
back order so as for me to receive the engine faster.

Tsutomu Mabuchi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.