Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
 BLINK R&D WORK CONTINUES!!! >

BLINK R&D WORK CONTINUES!!!

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

BLINK R&D WORK CONTINUES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default BLINK R&D WORK CONTINUES!!!

I have to admit that the ultimate goal is to stick the FORA on the BLINK and go for a ride, but I've been working up to it in stages. Stage 1 was gaining confidence in the design with a .049 reedie and a 5x3 prop, the design has proven itself out, the only trouble I've had is with cramming park flyer RXs into it, then getting glitched out of the sky in a certain Bermuda Triangle of glitching area at the field. An indoor RC car track opened up a few hundred yards away recently, about the same time the BLINK came out, and I've experienced trouble with the Feather and GWS RXs ever since. Thought the $12 BlueBird RX might be worth trying, it worked flawlessly for several flights until I let the Blink get about 450 feet away, then it was time to go pick up a bag of sticks again. The only solution that I can come up with that will give me enough confidence to strap on the Fora is to make the Blinks' radio compartment big enough to hold an Electron RX and 300 mah nimh. The test flights were going very well today with a $20 EBAY TD with a hogged venturi and lightened piston. RPM check with 15% nitro was a solid 24,000 with either the APC 4.2x4 or 4.75x4.75 cut down to about 3.5", and blades reshaped. I would say the airframe was allowing pretty good speed from both props, and this is the fastest rolling plane I've ever seen. More to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74140.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	486554  
Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: BLINK R&D WORK CONTINUES!!!

Faster than the Stang?[X(]
Old 07-03-2006, 10:12 PM

VIC, to tell the truth, the only planes I've ever clocked were .40 sized. I've never clocked any of the 1/2A stuff, just used THRUST HP to get mathematical approximate speeds. The trouble with the BLINK is getting it to hold the radio equipment I want to use, and of course enough beef to keep the Fora attached after the first down wind pass. The smallness, lightness, quickness of the BLINK should make it totally awesome to fly with the FORA. You saw how quickly the Fora could make the 11 oz Stang change direction, without much change of speed, imagine a 10 oz BLINK with the same amount of power? BTW, can't wait till your next visit........do you think it will take me a year to get this project done? By the time you get out here next year, I'll be so bored with the FORABLINK, if you wanna see it fly, I'll just point you to the field equipment while I lay back, sucking on my beer and wait to be entertained by "VICMANs' Traveling Airshow" . SR77 gets put into the hot seat when he comes up here too, so don't feel like I'm just singling you out......I just feel that it is better to give than it is to receive.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:17 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you reckin' it was running with the 3.5" blade? It's going to take a custom blade to wring every last bit out of such a light airplane!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 PM

24,000 with the 3.5x4.75, same as the 4.2x4. The prop blades look like prison knives [8D], you can see light through them. It is a bummer when you break a custom prop.......but I've got some bros at Walla-Walla who keep me in a constant supply for cartons of smokes. This was done on 15% nitro. there is still some engine vibration from the piston work, so I have to take some more weight from the counterweight of the crank, I do it like those NOVA ROSSI "turbo" cranks, but it is trial and error work.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:44 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I would be reckin something alright![X(] The next meeting is on right coast turf. You just get here and everything else is covered - I promise. Raymond better get busy on the combat birds cause we will need them.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:15 PM

Let's see, for a trip like that, plane fare plus car.......roughly a grand......I would REQUIRE at least 10 hours of actual in the air combat time to tell the IRS it was a business trip. [8D]
Old 07-04-2006, 09:21 AM

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The only solution that I can come up with that will give me enough confidence to strap on the Fora is to make the Blinks' radio compartment big enough to hold an Electron RX and 300 mah nimh.
CP --

Have you thought about a Berg Microstamp 4L? Weighs 4.7 gr. and is .6" x 1.35" x .35" -- hard to believe it's so flat. It's a full range RX. The only thing I don't like about it is the ultra lightweight antenna -- I haven't broken it yet, but it's probably a matter of time. [link=http://www.bphobbies.com]BPHobbies[/link] and [link=http://www.performancehobbiesinc.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=846]Performance Hobbies [/link] carries them.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM

Hi Andrew, I've heard nothing but good stuff in general about Berg, but didn't know their products were available. It is nice to have the servos plug into the end of the board, a real space saver. Trying to route these tiny antennas inside the airframe, especially for a speed plane should be worth the effort.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is one option, the Encore Rx from FMA -

http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=1&nid=11

I have three of the M5's and they work really well so far, but they predate this one and have those %$^&# right angle connectors. The Encore has end connectors and from the copy appears to be the M5 electronics updated a bit and repackaged.

Not as light as the Berg, this one is 11 grams I think.

MJD